Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 02-27-2020, 02:41 PM   #1
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
How effective are the removable hood vents on 2019+ SSmodels?

Does anyone have more information about the 2019+ hood vents? I remember reading somewhere that Camaro claims it helps with cooling and front end grip (due to lift) which is not surprising since the opening looks substantially bigger than my previous car. That said, it would be nice to hear if you have first hand experience/data or more information on topic.

See below for the photos (also saves 1.8lbs when removed ..yay :P)

glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:20 AM   #2
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
It will certainly help with front end grip. And probably cooling too. Much better (functional) design than the original.
As to saving 1.8lb why not just have a #2 before you take her out on the track
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 03:10 AM   #3
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
It will certainly help with front end grip. And probably cooling too. Much better (functional) design than the original.
As to saving 1.8lb why not just have a #2 before you take her out on the track
right? like a racer one said "every ounce matters"

I have searched but couldn't find any information (assuming old hoods and never hoods are interchangeable and someone already has done this but maybe not)

I think I still have some PDR data from the previous car somewhere, if I can find some I can compare them to the new car. I am curious to see if there's measurable difference.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:35 PM   #4
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
right? like a racer one said "every ounce matters"

I have searched but couldn't find any information (assuming old hoods and never hoods are interchangeable and someone already has done this but maybe not)

I think I still have some PDR data from the previous car somewhere, if I can find some I can compare them to the new car. I am curious to see if there's measurable difference.
Id assume the weight savings would be marginal, but aero gains could be more substantial regarding front grip. This is per my friend, race car designer etc who has praised the new design over old. Having said that, whether this translates to better lap times is proly driver dependent and likely would count for tenths vs seconds.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:09 PM   #5
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Id assume the weight savings would be marginal, but aero gains could be more substantial regarding front grip. This is per my friend, race car designer etc who has praised the new design over old. Having said that, whether this translates to better lap times is proly driver dependent and likely would count for tenths vs seconds.
Yes <sarcasm> In the grand scheme of things that's nothing for aero and cooling benefits though, every little bit helps
Old 03-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #6
davidwarren

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
I'd be interested in seeing if the deflector is just a rain deflector, or if it improves the efficiency of the vents.
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #7
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
It is 100% a rain tray.

Nice that GM made them easy to remove, like in the ZL1 and GT500. I wasn't aware that the tray was just bolted on - I figured it was like the 2016-18 hood vents that require you to disassemble them.

Now I want a 2019+ hood, lol
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:16 PM   #8
glamcem

As you can see it from the photos, the hood vent becomes pretty functional when the rain tray is removed. The opening is quite substantial like the aftermarket hood vents I purchased for other cars. I am pretty sure it's pretty functional but how much? I am not sure
Old 03-10-2020, 01:19 AM   #9
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Think this would be a cool mod on a 5th Gen. Like the 14-15 hood vent on 10-13 models.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote