Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-19-2022, 08:01 PM   #1
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
SRS airbag light fix after race seat install

I figured I'd finally put all my information into one spot on how I went about getting around the airbag light after I installed my race seats.

First I feel like I must say this is only what I have done, and what I was comfortable doing.

My goal was to keep the warning lights off, and maintain the factory seat belts along with the 6 point harnesses. I also have a 2SS with memory functions.

I bought the entire wiring harnesses for both seats, part numbers are 84280991 for the driver's side and 84280995 for the passenger. I bought 2 airbag resistors online at this site, https://www.automotivecircuitsolutio...iagnostic-tool .

You'll also need to remove several things from your stock seats or order new to install. The module under the driver's seat is important if you want to maintain the use of your mirrors. You'll also need the passenger seat position sensor (22886642) and the passenger seat occupancy sensor (84139855 for a 2017, 84603169 for 20/21). I chose to take all these from my seats before I sold them.

I installed the harnesses, plugging in the stock belts including the pretensioners and all the sensors and module. After confirming it all worked, I removed the harnesses amd cut off all the extra pigtails from the harness to save some space.

One thing to note on how I did mine was I only took the electrical switch for the occupancy sensor, not the mat that has fluid in it to actually actuate the switch (I didn't want to tear apart the seat bottom). So in my case my car does not believe anyone is in the passenger seat.

My car sees about 99% track duty, so I'm comfortable with how the system will function.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Last edited by Baddawg53; 04-20-2022 at 06:23 PM.
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 07:04 AM   #2
Osbornsm

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I did the same thing when i put a BRIDE seat in my 370z.
It was not nearly as complicated however.

Good write up

And thank you for the links.

Keep us posted!

Mods: Rotofab, Nick Williams 103mm TB, MSD IM, Kooks 1 7/8
Results: 470 hp / 447 tq
Osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 02:29 PM   #3
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddawg53 View Post
I figured I'd finally put all my information into one spot on how I went about getting around the airbag light after I installed my race seats.

First I feel like I must say this is only what I have done, and what I was comfortable doing.

My goal was to keep the warning lights off, and maintain the factory seat belts along with the 6 point harnesses. I also have a 2SS with memory functions.

I bought the entire wiring harnesses for both seats, part numbers are 84280991 for the driver's side and 84280995 for the passenger. I bought 2 airbag resistors online at this site, https://www.automotivecircuitsolutio...iagnostic-tool .

You'll also need to remove several things from your stock seats or order new to install. The module under the driver's seat is important if you want to maintain the use of your mirrors. You'll also need the passenger seat position sensor (22886642) and the passenger seat occupancy sensor (84605060 unverified). I chose to take all these from my seats before I sold them.

I installed the harnesses, plugging in the stock belts including the pretensioners and all the sensors and module. After confirming it all worked, I removed the harnesses amd cut off all the extra pigtails from the harness to save some space.

One thing to note on how I did mine was I only took the electrical switch for the occupancy sensor, not the mat that has fluid in it to actually actuate the switch (I didn't want to tear apart the seat bottom). So in my case my car does not believe anyone is in the passenger seat.

My car is about sees about 99% track duty, so I'm comfortable with how the system will function.

Hope this helps.
YEP good writeup!! As you know I am getting ready to do this myself. I will take some detailed picks of the bottom of the stock seats prior to removing some of these sensors so that everyone will know where exactly the sensors are.

I had planned on NOT using anything off my STOCK seats but as you also know, you are probably looking at spending over 1K for sensors if you buy them from GM. I am like you in that I have a SS2 with all the memory functions and things like heated seats so this conversion is more difficult than if you had an SS1 for instance.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 03:51 PM   #4
Baddawg53

That's a great idea getting pictures of the locations. That'll definitely help as I remember not knowing what any of those switches looked like. In the next couple weeks I'll get an ohm reading on those resistors, good information to have.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:34 AM   #5
Laxer5

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
I've been working thru racing seat install. I'm OCD and don't want to see the airbag light. This is a great write up and was a basis for my approach. I bought new seat wiring harnesses as well as a new memory module for driver seat. Also picked up the airbag simulator resistors. I have a used passenger seat bottom on the way to pull the presence sensor and seat position sensor out of. My goal is to keep stock recaros 100% in tact to be able to swap back and forth as desired.

I stripped down the wiring harnesses and eliminated any unnecessary wiring/connectors, drastically reducing the amount of wiring I'm securing under the seats. I finished the driver seat and wanted to test it before finalizing the passenger figuring I can identify an issues before changing two variables (seats) and potentially not knowing which one was causing any issues.

After install of the driver seat I didn't get an airbag warning or light. I was stoked! But then I tried adjusting my mirrors and they didn't work...

Does anyone know if the memory modules are plug and play or if they require dealer involvement to allow them to operate properly?
Laxer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 09:47 AM   #6
Baddawg53

Interesting question, sure seems like they're probably programmed to each vehicle if yours doesn't work.

It's a fairly easy swap out though, if you wanted to make it work until you can get the new module programmed.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:52 AM   #7
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
I used these guys for my bride seat in my 5th gen, worked great and plug and play.

http://airbagsystems.com/simulator.html

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 02:56 PM   #8
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxer5 View Post
I've been working thru racing seat install. I'm OCD and don't want to see the airbag light. This is a great write up and was a basis for my approach. I bought new seat wiring harnesses as well as a new memory module for driver seat. Also picked up the airbag simulator resistors. I have a used passenger seat bottom on the way to pull the presence sensor and seat position sensor out of. My goal is to keep stock recaros 100% in tact to be able to swap back and forth as desired.

I stripped down the wiring harnesses and eliminated any unnecessary wiring/connectors, drastically reducing the amount of wiring I'm securing under the seats. I finished the driver seat and wanted to test it before finalizing the passenger figuring I can identify an issues before changing two variables (seats) and potentially not knowing which one was causing any issues.

After install of the driver seat I didn't get an airbag warning or light. I was stoked! But then I tried adjusting my mirrors and they didn't work...

Does anyone know if the memory modules are plug and play or if they require dealer involvement to allow them to operate properly?
I was thinking about doing the same, but it's interesting that I have my airbag light on and I can still adjust my mirrors.
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 03:18 PM   #9
Laxer5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
I was thinking about doing the same, but it's interesting that I have my airbag light on and I can still adjust my mirrors.
Do you have a 1SS or 2SS? Guessing 1SS. Mine is a 2SS which has seat position memory buttons. Which requires the memory module and based on my understanding/research the power for the mirrors runs through that module under the seat.

This is why I bought a new memory module and am frustrated that I went thru the cost hassle only to find out the mirrors done work.

It's really not that big of a deal as I'm the only one who drives/tracks it so I can set them ans not worry about it, but I'd like to be able to adjust with controls if I need/want to.
Old 01-12-2023, 03:38 PM   #10
20Bluezl1

Quote:
Do you have a 1SS or 2SS? Guessing 1SS. Mine is a 2SS which has seat position memory buttons. Which requires the memory module and based on my understanding/research the power for the mirrors runs through that module under the seat.

This is why I bought a new memory module and am frustrated that I went thru the cost hassle only to find out the mirrors done work.

It's really not that big of a deal as I'm the only one who drives/tracks it so I can set them ans not worry about it, but I'd like to be able to adjust with controls if I need/want to.
I have a zl1 but the air bag light bugs me I bought some resistors but I need ro get all the harnesses I believe
Old 01-12-2023, 04:14 PM   #11
Laxer5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
I have a zl1 but the air bag light bugs me I bought some resistors but I need ro get all the harnesses I believe
Well that has me stumped as I believe the ZL1 has seat memory module similar to (or the likely the same as) the 2SS.

If I'm understanding, you have a racing seat installed with no harness, and you have an airbag light but your mirrors still work.

For my personal approach: I have a Brey Krause seat mount which allowed me to install factory seatbelt components. I bought the seat wiring harness and stripped it down to just the connectors for receiver buckle, pretensioner, seat side airbag and the memory module. I bought the airbag resistors in the OP's link (one needed per seat). Plugged in the resistor and connected the seat belt connectors and memory module. No airbag light. Don't know if you need to connect the seat belt components but I didn't want to solve the airbag light issue only to end up with a seatbelt light...
Old 01-12-2023, 06:52 PM   #12
20Bluezl1

Quote:
Well that has me stumped as I believe the ZL1 has seat memory module similar to (or the likely the same as) the 2SS.

If I'm understanding, you have a racing seat installed with no harness, and you have an airbag light but your mirrors still work.

For my personal approach: I have a Brey Krause seat mount which allowed me to install factory seatbelt components. I bought the seat wiring harness and stripped it down to just the connectors for receiver buckle, pretensioner, seat side airbag and the memory module. I bought the airbag resistors in the OP's link (one needed per seat). Plugged in the resistor and connected the seat belt connectors and memory module. No airbag light. Don't know if you need to connect the seat belt components but I didn't want to solve the airbag light issue only to end up with a seatbelt light...
Correct I have two race seats with OEM buckle attached to the BR mount. I sold my oem seats so I don't have the harness and module. I wish there was a way to just put the resistors on the harness that is under the seat. Without needing seat harness, module and passenger sensor.
Old 12-30-2023, 09:50 PM   #13
snicko

Drives: 2021 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEssence View Post
I used these guys for my bride seat in my 5th gen, worked great and plug and play.

http://airbagsystems.com/simulator.html
Resurrecting and old thread - was it the $29 one you got or the $129 one? As far as I can tell the difference is instructions... (??)
snicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:47 PM   #14
Vinny1le

Drives: 2022 1ss/1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by snicko View Post
Resurrecting and old thread - was it the $29 one you got or the $129 one? As far as I can tell the difference is instructions... (??)
Did you figure out what one? if so please share if you don't mind
Vinny1le is offline   Reply With Quote