Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

AWE Tuning

Old 05-28-2021, 10:27 PM   #1
ZL1 smoke

Drives: 2018 ZL1
HPtuners T87A unlock issue

I sent HPtuners my tcm to have it unlocked so I can have my tuner tune it. I paid for the unlock service and just got it back today. I reinstalled the tcm and started the car and got a check engine light. I have not scanned it to see what the code it yet. Have a buddy bringing one over tomorrow.

My question is am I suppose to do something else? I thought I could just have it unlocked and everything would run as normal until I had my tuner get into it. I read through HPtuners website and didn't see anything but I could have missed something.

I sent HPtuners an email but figured that it's a holiday weekend I won't hear something back until next week.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ZL1 smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 06:24 AM   #2
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Just had this happen on my 2017 Camaro SS with the 8 speed auto. Had a bunch of solenoid calibration codes, 7 of them and the P0700 code. After driving it the calibration codes went away but can not turn off the P0700 code. Can't get my car to the tuner for another 2 weeks and awaiting a response from HPtuners. Frustrating because mine I bought new and unlocked from HPTuners.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 05:34 PM   #3
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post
Just had this happen on my 2017 Camaro SS with the 8 speed auto. Had a bunch of solenoid calibration codes, 7 of them and the P0700 code. After driving it the calibration codes went away but can not turn off the P0700 code. Can't get my car to the tuner for another 2 weeks and awaiting a response from HPtuners. Frustrating because mine I bought new and unlocked from HPTuners.
When you install new Unlocked TCM purchased from HPT, it’s important to keep an internet connection the entire time while doing the process.

Take your time reading this thread. It should make sense at why you have your errors and what you’ll need to do to correct the problem.

User f.d spent plenty of time sorting this out. Hopefully this helps you.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573440

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 05:36 PM   #4
Trochoidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 smoke View Post
I sent HPtuners my tcm to have it unlocked so I can have my tuner tune it. I paid for the unlock service and just got it back today. I reinstalled the tcm and started the car and got a check engine light. I have not scanned it to see what the code it yet. Have a buddy bringing one over tomorrow.

My question is am I suppose to do something else? I thought I could just have it unlocked and everything would run as normal until I had my tuner get into it. I read through HPtuners website and didn't see anything but I could have missed something.

I sent HPtuners an email but figured that it's a holiday weekend I won't hear something back until next week.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Did you get this solved?

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Old 07-06-2021, 02:34 PM   #5
dmcmahan60

No< I am waiting for my tuner to give me guidance on where the put the stock TCM back in the car just to copy the calibration files and then put them on the new unlocked TCM i bought from HPTuners. I am by no means a tuner and I was just trying to save $400 in labor cost for somebody else to put the new TCM in. Read throught the other post and was wondering is there a way to reset or remove the calibration file on the new unlocked TCM without having to put the old one back in and then put the new one back in?
Old 07-06-2021, 05:35 PM   #6
Trochoidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post
No< I am waiting for my tuner to give me guidance on where the put the stock TCM back in the car just to copy the calibration files and then put them on the new unlocked TCM i bought from HPTuners. I am by no means a tuner and I was just trying to save $400 in labor cost for somebody else to put the new TCM in. Read throught the other post and was wondering is there a way to reset or remove the calibration file on the new unlocked TCM without having to put the old one back in and then put the new one back in?
There’s a couple of reasons this hasn’t been a successful swap. First, do you have the MPVI2? If you don’t have this the tuner will and they need to perform the swap. Second, you’ll also need 4 credits that the tuner can sell you or you can buy direct from HPT.

It sounds like you bought this as plug & play. Out with the stock and in with the unlocked.

Instructions:

http://www.hptuners.com/pub/T87A%20I...on%20Steps.pdf

Here are the requirements for the swap:
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2021, 10:51 PM   #7
ZL1 smoke

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
Did you get this solved?
Yes I did. I was a dumbass and didn't disconnect the battery before I removed the TCM. Cleared the codes and has been fine ever since.
ZL1 smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:10 AM   #8
dmcmahan60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
There’s a couple of reasons this hasn’t been a successful swap. First, do you have the MPVI2? If you don’t have this the tuner will and they need to perform the swap. Second, you’ll also need 4 credits that the tuner can sell you or you can buy direct from HPT.

It sounds like you bought this as plug & play. Out with the stock and in with the unlocked.

Instructions:

http://www.hptuners.com/pub/T87A%20I...on%20Steps.pdf

Here are the requirements for the swap:
I will be going through these step tomorrow night, a lot of miles will be put on my car but after this is done then I will see my tuner Monday night so he can finish up. If I would have know it was going to be this much of a PITA I would have just left it alone. But I am $400 into it with an unlocked TCM :(
Old 07-12-2021, 07:52 AM   #9
dmcmahan60

Got the swap done with the unlocked and stock TCM done and partial tune done. Turned off the AFM and tweaked some other things like shift points and timing. Car would not start or run and I started to freak out. Unhooked the battery to reset the system and that fixed it. Only problem now is a delayed shift from 6-7th. he is trying to figure it out and will give another update after tonight. Any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:08 AM   #10
dmcmahan60

The tune was finished last night. Drives great! AFM or DOD turned off. Changed some of the shift points, torque tables and slip tables adjusted. $900 in just for the unlocked TCM and tune. I am some what old school and this tuning of the newer cars is crazy! I still love my car and wants to say thanks to all that had something to say. I will give another update in a few weeks when I have a chance to drive it more and it is not raining everyday after work here