Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-12-2016, 03:17 PM   #1
Teer

Drives: 2016 White 2SS - M6- MRC- NPP
Electronic Parking Brake

I'm a noob to the forums and also a noob to owning a Camaro. Purchased on October 8th, one of the best days of my life

I digress....

I've had a 5 speed Prelude for most of my adult life and it was always habit to engage the parking brake when parking the vehicle. I've had problems with the electronic parking brake so far in my M6 Camaro. Out of habit I press the parking brake button when I stop to park my car. The dash says it is engaged, all is good until I need to drive again.

When I get in my car I start it up the dash has the little "brake" light lit up. I remember it saying the brake will be disengaged when the car is started and the brake pedal is depressed. I press the depress the brake and the clutch to start the car but the light stays on. Here is the deal... In reverse (backing out of the garage) the thing will not disengage at all. I have to put it in first gear and roll forward a foot to get it to turn off, then i can reverse. Even when starting forward I can feel the E brake is still on because there is a slight grab as i start to move (noticeable compared to when i have left the e brake off).

Last night I was parked where I did not want to roll forward at all (parking curb in front of my bumper) so I put the car in reverse and tried to get the thing to disengage. Couple of slight throttle movements and i couldn't get it to turn off. Third try and I gave it a little more gas and then al of a sudden my car rev'd on it's own after I had let off the gas and engaged the clutch fully again. It was seriously odd..

Finally i just nudged the car forward a few inches and backed out.

I'm so confused. Pressing the button does not turn it off. Pressing the brake does not turn it off. Putting the car in gear does not turn it off. Only moving forward turns it off.

Any ideas or suggestions? Don't beat me up too badly, thanks.
Teer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:20 PM   #2
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
did you try pressing down the foot brake and pressing down on the electric parking brake at the same time?
Old 10-12-2016, 03:21 PM   #3
Mr. Grumpy
Car Enthusiast

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
^^^ This. You should be able to disengage the ebrake this way. Also, for some weird reason the hill assist will activate if you are on reverse going up on a hill. It happens to me when I'm backing into the garage and I stop half way in. Maybe is a M6 thing.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:27 PM   #4
born-to-fish-

Drives: Fifty 2SS Vert
Pull up the switch for brake on
Push down for brake off
Both while foot depressed on brake pedal
born-to-fish- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:36 PM   #5
Teer

hmmm...

I've been pressing it down in both cases.

The dash says "engaged" (when parking) when i press it down.

I will try the "up" motion to see if anything changes.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:37 PM   #6
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
that's is what the owners manual is for. It's right in the front among the initial operating controls. Try page 217
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:43 PM   #7
Teer

Makes sense huh, just like pulling up on the old fashioned e brake to engage. And down to disengage. Nice engineering now that i think about it.

But if you read my post, ive pressed it down to set it and the screen says "engaged" when parking the car.

I've pressed it down to disengage (down is really all i've pressed) and it does not disengage.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #8
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teer View Post
Makes sense huh, just like pulling up on the old fashioned e brake to engage. And down to disengage. Nice engineering now that i think about it.

But if you read my post, ive pressed it down to set it and the screen says "engaged" when parking the car.

I've pressed it down to disengage (down is really all i've pressed) and it does not disengage.
you have to press down on the ebrake while you have the foot brake pressed down to release it. if that's what you are doing and its not disengaging, time for a dealer visit.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:05 PM   #9
crazydmc
ummmm

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Nightfall w/Blk Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn9cian805 View Post
you have to press down on the ebrake while you have the foot brake pressed down to release it. if that's what you are doing and its not disengaging, time for a dealer visit.
it will say on the DIC to put your foot on the brake when you push down on the e-brake button without foot on brake.

I do have to think about it each time... "pull up" to set the brake, "push down" to release the brake... look for "park" icon on dash to confirm... I'm not a fan.

and yes, I've accidentally hit the e-brake button while driving (when trying to find the mode button)... it is weird, maybe they should have put it next to the start button?
crazydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:28 PM   #10
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by born-to-fish- View Post
Pull up the switch for brake on
Push down for brake off
Both while foot depressed on brake pedal
Pedal doesn't need to be pressed when you're activating the p.brake. It feels super weird to me though.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #11
JRS

Drives: 16 camaro M6/ 18 ZL1 camaro A10
You can also disengage the parking brake if you put the car in a forward gear and let off the clutch slightly, push it back in then let out complete like normal.
If you pull up on the switch while moving, it will pull the parking on then release it unless you continued holding the switch up which will hold the parking brake on in an emergency.
Has anyone else tried this because this is how mine works.
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:24 PM   #12
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Yeah, I'd rather disengage is with the switch.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:27 AM   #13
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS View Post
You can also disengage the parking brake if you put the car in a forward gear and let off the clutch slightly, push it back in then let out complete like normal.
If you pull up on the switch while moving, it will pull the parking on then release it unless you continued holding the switch up which will hold the parking brake on in an emergency.
Has anyone else tried this because this is how mine works.
I was trying to figure out how the "automatic release" function works, as detailed on page 234 of my 2017 manual. And by detailed, I mean NOT DETAILED AT ALL! It just says drive off and the thing will release!
Your description sounds plausible and I will give it a try. But if it works this way it really means you must force the clutch against an engaged brake. This is not something I would ever do routinely and not something I would tout as a "feature"!!!
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #14
nfboy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT HBM
park brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I was trying to figure out how the "automatic release" function works, as detailed on page 234 of my 2017 manual. And by detailed, I mean NOT DETAILED AT ALL! It just says drive off and the thing will release!
Your description sounds plausible and I will give it a try. But if it works this way it really means you must force the clutch against an engaged brake. This is not something I would ever do routinely and not something I would tout as a "feature"!!!
Just use the little lever like button on the console. Directions are same as a lever...up to engage and down to release. Must have foot on the brake. Did your salesman not do a walk through the vehicle functions with you? Mine did.
nfboy is offline   Reply With Quote