Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-15-2021, 09:22 PM   #1
jcaligood

Drives: '18 SS 1LE
Cost to HP, IM or E85

Trying to decide on the next thing for my 1LE.

Currently have a Rotofab dry filter intake, 1 7/8 TSP long tubes with high flow cats, and a Pray ported 87mm throttle body

I'm looking at the MSD Atomic intake manifold, but it seems like the LT2 intake manifold ported provides around the same amount of power as the MSD, and at half the price.
Won't I need a 95mm throttle body then? With the LT2 as well as the MSD?

I'm also looking at a flex fuel sensor and e85 tune. However, my 1LE is not my daily so I'm kind of paranoid if I leave e85 sitting in it, due to it attracting moisture.
I've also heard some horror stories of people getting bad batches of e85 and causing pre-detonation and catastrophic failure. Do you corn fed guys typically test your E content before you fill up on e85?

What is your opinion?

Get an intake manifold, and also have to buy a 95mm TB? Or will my stock ported 87mm TB work with LT2 IM?
Is there any worry with e85? As my car is NOT my daily?
Power vs cost I guess, they both make around the same power increase..

Thanks for any input!
jcaligood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:27 PM   #2
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaligood View Post
Trying to decide on the next thing for my 1LE.

Currently have a Rotofab dry filter intake, 1 7/8 TSP long tubes with high flow cats, and a Pray ported 87mm throttle body

I'm looking at the MSD Atomic intake manifold, but it seems like the LT2 intake manifold ported provides around the same amount of power as the MSD, and at half the price.
Won't I need a 95mm throttle body then? With the LT2 as well as the MSD?

I'm also looking at a flex fuel sensor and e85 tune. However, my 1LE is not my daily so I'm kind of paranoid if I leave e85 sitting in it, due to it attracting moisture.
I've also heard some horror stories of people getting bad batches of e85 and causing pre-detonation and catastrophic failure. Do you corn fed guys typically test your E content before you fill up on e85?

What is your opinion?

Get an intake manifold, and also have to buy a 95mm TB? Or will my stock ported 87mm TB work with LT2 IM?
Is there any worry with e85? As my car is NOT my daily?
Power vs cost I guess, they both make around the same power increase..

Thanks for any input!
LT2 is the "bang for buck" intake manifold as long as you stay Full bolt on. If you plan on doing heads and cam at any point, lt2 manifold is a waste. You are better of with msd atomic or high ram. The LT5 throttle body pairs well with the msd manifold. Likewise, the high ram pairs well with the nick Williams 103mm throttle body.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:00 AM   #3
NA18CamaroSS

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
E85 is one of the best mods dollar/HP wise. 25-30 RWHP. I check my E content regularly on my datalogs. Here in California E content is 75-80%.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:38 AM   #4
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
The E85 sensor adjusts for E85 content all the time, so no worrys there.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:55 AM   #5
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Why not do a cam upgrade instead?
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:13 AM   #6
Hambo864

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
First thing I would do is look to make sure there are gas stations nearby that have E85. If there are then you're set. My car isn't my daily. It sits in the garage for a week at a time with no issues. Some of the guys in the colder environments have some issues cranking but being in Florida, that shouldn't be a concern. As far as testing it before I fill up, nah. My gauge tells me how much ethanol content it is. I've never gotten any bad batches before.

As far as intake and throttle bodies go. To me, it would depend on your future mods. I have the LT2 intake with a ported 87mm TB. The difference between the LT2 and the MSD wasn't enough for my build. My suggestion, just buy the intake and keep your throttle body. You're gonna need the coin for the tune. That was a massive expense between the actual tuner, the credits, and the tune.
Hambo864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:20 AM   #7
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
Why not do a cam upgrade instead?
From the sounds of it he's not looking to break the bank and wants to do just bolt ons.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:23 AM   #8
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I'd do the 95mm and the Lt2 unless you have further plans to open up the motor at that point I'd do the MSD over the Lt2.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:33 AM   #9
Doc Oc

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Haven't seen many impressive results with the ls2 intake so far but maybe I just haven't been paying attention. I went with a GPI ported msd/95mm combo and have been very happy. The TB is a no brainer as it can be had for $150 or so. The manifold is pricey for sure but with e70 in the tank I'm right at 470 rw so pretty happy with the results. Was stuck at 440 rw for awhile because I was running a crap tune, but then I found a good tuner on the HP tuners site and he got me straight for much less than the well known guys.

No worries about e85 as your ethanol sensor and tune take the guesswork out of it.

Everybody likes to go right to the power adding mods but you should also consider a few upgrades that will help you put that power down. The rear cradle lockout kit from BMR is a great addition, even though the price is insane for what you get. Motor mounts are also an over-looked upgrade. The solid ones really limit engine movement and give the entire drive line a good, crisp, planted feel. I'd consider those as well.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:25 AM   #10
jcaligood

Drives: '18 SS 1LE
thanks everyone,

i had a cammed 5th gen before this. i do plan to cam this 1LE eventually. but im not ready for it yet. kinda deciding if ill be adding a blower in the future, so i might go with a boost cam.

as for right now, im just looking for simple bolt ons.

it seems like im leaning towards E85 now.

Where are you guys running the E content gauge? does it tap into the fuel tank? where do you mount your gauges? im not huge on wiring, but an E content gauge as mentioned above might be nice. although the flex fuel sensor and tune will adjust for it.
there really is no worry with leaving e85 in the tank for a period of time? ive seen some threads saying dont leave it because it attracts moisture to the entire fuel system.
jcaligood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:59 AM   #11
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Drives: 2018 2SS, Black, A8
I would agree with the others that E is the best overall mod/bang for buck. I don't daily mine either, i run only E, and have done so for the last year. During the "colder months" (relatively speaking for TX) and rain, i don't start or drive mine for a couple of weeks at a time. I've not had any issues thus far is all i can attest to.
There are different gauges for reading E, don't think any are a tank install. I think most are either wireless or connect to obd2. But I don't have one, so those who do can tell you more on that.
Eric10905 is offline   Reply With Quote