Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 03-05-2020, 09:21 AM   #1
Nitelife Mingus

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro LS
New Camaro LS- buzz/rattle under acceleration

Hi All,

So a few weeks ago I took delivery of a new 2020 Camaro LS (2.0 liter turbo).

I’ve noticed a light, fairly high-pitched rattle coming from the front end when accelerating- it’s mostly noticeable <3k RPM’s, after which the noise from the engine/exhaust drowns it out. It only happens when applying throttle; it stops as soon as I take my foot off the pedal.

This only occurs when driving, if I rev the engine in park the rattle isn’t present. I’m running 93 octane fuel in the car- the dealer might have initially put 87 in it, but I’ve been through 3 tanks of gas at this point so it seems unlikely that there is still a significant amount of 87 in the tank (if at all).

I’ve taken it to the dealer and they swear they don’t hear anything. Anyone know if this is normal, or should I be more concerned?
Nitelife Mingus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:39 AM   #2
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
weird, so does it go with wheel speed, or engine speed, when you are driving?
Where does it seem like its coming from?
Is your car a manual or automatic? If manual, does it change with pressing the clutch pedal?
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:46 PM   #3
Nitelife Mingus

Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
weird, so does it go with wheel speed, or engine speed, when you are driving?
Where does it seem like its coming from?
Is your car a manual or automatic? If manual, does it change with pressing the clutch pedal?
It’s an automatic...definitely correlates with engine speed, not wheel speed.

It’s certainly noticeable to me, but not very loud at all...sounds kind of like a few grains of rice rattling in a tin can. If I’m on a highway, the tire noise pretty much drowns it out.

Spark knock would be louder than that, right?
Old 03-15-2020, 10:39 AM   #4
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
I think you have something loose that is rattling from the wind at speed. I've read a couple of scenario's on here about an issue such as yours.
1) The hood release cable was rattling at speed. Not secured properly. Sound would radiate inside.
2) Person said a tag on the front suspension spring would flap in the wind against the spring and the sound radiated into the cockpit of the car.
These are a couple of things I read that might be able to help you. Because you stated that it happens at speed, not when stationary.
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:38 PM   #5
Nitelife Mingus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jb54 View Post
I think you have something loose that is rattling from the wind at speed. I've read a couple of scenario's on here about an issue such as yours.
1) The hood release cable was rattling at speed. Not secured properly. Sound would radiate inside.
2) Person said a tag on the front suspension spring would flap in the wind against the spring and the sound radiated into the cockpit of the car.
These are a couple of things I read that might be able to help you. Because you stated that it happens at speed, not when stationary.
Thanks, but the rattle definitely correlates with engine speed, not the speed of the car. I think if it was just something loose, the sound wouldn’t immediately stop when I take my foot off the throttle.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:40 PM   #6
crab

Drives: 2019 1LE
Loose cat?
"That my friend.. is the sweet succulent sound of the car preparing to ignite the wonderfully tasty nectar your V8 needs to send the screaming bald eagles furiously from the 4 pipes out of the rear of your vehicle"
crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 01:47 PM   #7
Nitelife Mingus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crab View Post
Loose cat?
No, both cats are sleeping on the couch.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #8
Nitelife Mingus

Here is a short video of the issue- you can hear a slight rattle.

This seems to meet every definition of engine pinging that I have found. Is this normal/acceptable? Am I damaging the engine by driving it?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RkKsBq4-m2E
Old 03-17-2020, 03:28 PM   #9
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
I did this

Seemed to stop the noise I was hearing, sounds like a vibration rattle. Wipe the spot with alcohol, the first one I stuck down didn't stay,
Attached Images

ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:02 PM   #10
Nitelife Mingus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmofo View Post
Seemed to stop the noise I was hearing, sounds like a vibration rattle. Wipe the spot with alcohol, the first one I stuck down didn't stay,
I’ll take a look under the hood, but I don’t think that’s the issue (otherwise it wouldn’t happen only under load)
Old 05-11-2020, 12:35 PM   #11
Nitelife Mingus

So I got my first oil change over the weekend- the sound is still there but seems a little quieter now.

Should I just not worry about it?