Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-11-2015, 02:25 AM   #1
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
2016 Camaro Production News...

Found this post over at GM Insidenews from a moderator about pilot pre-production starting March in Michigan and regular production beginning in October. Info is from a source that GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Z284ever said offered on the 6th gen in Lansing facility on post#1 and #3.

Quote:
I don't know if we'll see a surprise reveal of the 6th gen Camaro at the Chicago show press preview this Thursday, but we should be seeing undisguised pre-production cars very soon - like next month.

A source states that pre-production starts at Lansing in March.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:35 AM   #2
Blast

Drives: 2009 SAAB 9-5 Aero
Interesting, if true.

I'm not sounding sceptical because of any particular mistrust of either you or that guy in the other thread - I just take it with a grain of salt and some info may end up being true, but it does make sense.

// Stefan
Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:40 AM   #3
Sesiom Summers

Drives: 94 Z28 / 01 Z28 / 2015 50th GT
Send a message via MSN to Sesiom Summers
woooow thanks for the news, this is really exiting! there is a chance we can see some cars rolling out by April...

I have a question, what is exactly a pre-production car? It is made to do some test or its a small amount of cars will be sell in private.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:42 AM   #4
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Everything at this stage is just hearsay until GM releases confirmation info.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:50 AM   #5
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

I believe pre-production is done to test and refine the manufacturing process ahead of regular salable production for the consumer begins and to also produce CTF cars for engineers and staff employees to drive and test after the car is revealed but before regular production begins. Basically its' just a test run of everything. Pre-producton cars are usually sent to the crusher after they have served their purpose since they are not legally salable cars.

Here's a post with a great explanation of GM's various development stages and timeline.
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...-stages-96009/

Quote:
GMI Goes Inside: GM Prototyping Stages
GMI goes through the phases of GM development.
www.gminsidenews.com
September 29, 2010
By: Nick Saporito

Recent spy shots of upcoming General Motors products have spurred a lot of debate here on GMI. From the recent shots of the “Cadillac ATS mule” to last week’s Camaro Convertible shots, confusion and debate sets in every time a spy shot is posted. Debate about what the vehicle is and how close to production said vehicle may be are the most prevalent conversations. GMI has put its sources together to generate a detailed account of each vehicle prototyping stage GM products go through before they can arrive at dealership lots.

After initial engineering work the first stage an upcoming GM vehicle goes through is the “mule” stage. During this stage they typically take a donor car and strip it of most of its components and then refit the car with components for the new car. In some cases they have to modify the body of the vehicle to fit the components of the new vehicle. Mules are always hand-built units intended for early pre-development and occur nearly a year in advance of more realistic prototypes. The recent Cadillac ATS shots were of it in the mule stage. The donor car in that case was obviously the Cadillac CTS. Mule testers are typically built at GM’s Pre-Production Operations (PPO) facility.

After the mule stage, future product programs enter the Integration Vehicle Engineer Release (IVER) phase. IVER testers are also built at the PPO on a modified assembly line. Typically each station on the PPO assembly line represents 5 to 10 manufacturing stations from the vehicle’s normal assembly plant. The purpose of the IVER stage is to test all electronic components of the vehicle and ensure that it is “running” correctly. These are the cars with the mis-matched bumpers, and non-production tail lamps.

Next up is the Production Process Validation (PPV) phase. PPV cars are built at the vehicle’s designated assembly plant with the intent on testing the manufacturing process. After the PPV cars are assembly, they are also tested to identify the current level of functionality.

The last non-sellable phase of development for a vehicle is the Manufacturing Validation Build (MVB) stage. The first stage is MVBns. During this process the vehicles are, again, built at the designated assembly plant and only last minute tweaking is done to the vehicle at this point.

After the round of non-sellable MVB units, the program enters the MVBs stage. These are test vehicles used to verify everything is ready for regular production. MVBs vehicles can be sold. The recent shots of truckloads of Camaro Convertibles, shot by a GMI member, were of MVB units.

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 02-11-2015 at 05:54 AM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:29 AM   #6
Posaune

Drives: Four wheels and an engine
Just a fyi, Z284ever is also on this forum.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:41 AM   #7
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
Everything at this stage is just hearsay until GM releases confirmation info.
Affirmative. He mentioned a surprise reveal at Chicago tomorrow as a remote possibility. Would make sense if undisguised cars are supposed to be out and about by March. These are exciting times.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #8
Z/284ever

Drives: A few Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Affirmative. He mentioned a surprise reveal at Chicago tomorrow as a remote possibility. Would make sense if undisguised cars are supposed to be out and about by March. These are exciting times.

We'll know in less than 24 hours.
Z/284ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:01 AM   #9
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
hmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 02-11-2015, 08:26 AM   #10
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
What auto show is after Chicago? New York?

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:29 AM   #11
Z/284ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
What auto show is after Chicago? New York?
Yup. LA I would think is way too late. It's got to be Chicago or NY. But NY will also reveal the Cadillac CT6. Revealing both the CT6 and Camaro at the same time would probably suck the oxygen out of the room.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:25 AM   #12
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/284ever View Post
We'll know in less than 24 hours.
Thanks for the news Z/284ever, it was getting a little tense in these here forums lately with all the dooms day prophets and all.

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 02-11-2015 at 09:38 AM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:37 AM   #13
Z/284ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
Thanks for the news Z/284ever, it was getting a little tense in these here forums lately.
Hey, don't thank me yet.
But, I'm taking the day off from work tomorrow, and doing the morning commute to McCormick Place, during rush hour, in bumper to bumper traffic, where I'll probably be in 1st or 2nd gear all the way in, to be there.

The whole thing could be a bust. If so, I'll hit the BMW stand for some espresso and I'll give my impressions of the new Equinox.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:26 AM   #14
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/284ever View Post
Hey, don't thank me yet.
But, I'm taking the day off from work tomorrow, and doing the morning commute to McCormick Place, during rush hour, in bumper to bumper traffic, where I'll probably be in 1st or 2nd gear all the way in, to be there.

The whole thing could be a bust. If so, I'll hit the BMW stand for some espresso and I'll give my impressions of the new Equinox.
I've been to a couple trade shows there. If you're willing to endure that brutality then I would say your predicted probability level is very high.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote