Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-26-2017, 05:28 PM   #15
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
here is my $.02 for what it is worth.

I suspect on any given limitation a turbo car will make more power but not more than 5-10% more power than a blower car. for example limit a car to stock internals, the turbo car will be able to make 5-10% more before blowing up. lets say a stock lt4 fuel system, the turbo car will be able to make 5-10% more power before running out of fuel. lets say 5psi, the turbo car will make 5-10% more increase in power... you get the idea.

there are probably 100 or more blower guys around here for every turbo. the faster cars are going to be the guys with more money AND more motivation. that 5-10% is easily made up with money and motivation.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:33 PM   #16
ProCharger

Drives: Many C7's
Quote:
Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
here is my $.02 for what it is worth.

I suspect on any given limitation a turbo car will make more power but not more than 5-10% more power than a blower car. for example limit a car to stock internals, the turbo car will be able to make 5-10% more before blowing up. lets say a stock lt4 fuel system, the turbo car will be able to make 5-10% more power before running out of fuel. lets say 5psi, the turbo car will make 5-10% more increase in power... you get the idea.

there are probably 100 or more blower guys around here for every turbo. the faster cars are going to be the guys with more money AND more motivation. that 5-10% is easily made up with money and motivation.

I feel ya,

To me it comes down to simple combos that work.

Like myself for example, I can't weld... and I don't have time to learn.
So its "easy" to bolt on a blower, a camshaft, and rock and roll.

Doing welding, fab work, dealing with heat issues, oil return pumps, boost controllers, etc. etc. Isn't really my thing anymore....

I have had every power adder under the sun... roots, screw, turbo, twin turbo, n20, procharger, and even some of those PLUS the spray. LOL.

But at the end of the day, it comes down to the personal preference.
Though saying "turbos kick the blowers in the junk".... well thats just not true, and hasn't been for many many years.
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:44 AM   #17
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCharger View Post
To be devil's advocate...

If what you say is true...
Then why do ProCharger powered GM's hold all these track records?

Fastest 6th Gen Camaro
Fastest Corvette C7
Fastest LT4 Corvette Z06
Fastest IRS C5 Corvette
Fastest IRS C6 Corvette Stick
Fastest IRS GTO
Fastest Chevy SS Sedan
Fastest LT GM Truck

and I am sure plenty that I don't even know about....

Just saying that turbo guys seem to dog on blower cars all the time. Yet the blower cars are the ones at the track every weekend, setting records and enjoying the boost.
Once again your definition of fastest is limited to a 1/4 mile dragstrip. I understand there are lot of people that only think in terms of a 1/4 mile. Lets be honest here, most 1/4 mile races are won or lost in the first 60 feet. Because the supercharger is driven by a belt it has a huge advantage coming out of the hole. In a turbo car you either have to change the torque converter or give it shot a nitrous to get it to boost off the line. Most people don't run their cars on prepped drag strips all the time so don't consider making these mods to a street car. Those that do plan on doing a lot of drag racing understand this so they purchase a forced induction system that will come out of the hole better. Where I live, the onramp is about a 1/4 mile and that is where you get the car warmed up. Once you get it on the road then you let it go, my turbo car is pretty good starting on a 80mph roll (common traffic speed on OK interstate highways). Turbo guys are enjoying the boost but more often than not we are doing it on stretches of road a lot longer than 1/4 mile.

The actual fastest 6th gen that I know of had no forced induction at all...just a built motor and a 150 shot. http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorspo...essey-202-mph/

Unless you have official documentation of more than 202 mph on one of your cars I would say 202 is faster.... to be the devils advocate.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:36 AM   #18
CHFdad14

Drives: 16 summit ss
I see no point in this argument. Just look at any form of class drag racing what cars weigh more or have cubic inch restrictions or limit size of their power adder. In order to keep the racing "fair"
CHFdad14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:39 PM   #19
ProCharger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHFdad14 View Post
I see no point in this argument. Just look at any form of class drag racing what cars weigh more or have cubic inch restrictions or limit size of their power adder. In order to keep the racing "fair"
Correct sir.

Though even in unlimited races like "No Prep" we have been very fortunate to have some amazing customers doing very well with our big blowers... (and even MORE coming to the scene for 2018....lotta people switching)

We just often get a bit of a handy cap...
Since we as a single power adder, often go up against "DUAL" adders.
(meaning 1 blower, against twin turbo cars)

Thankfully the F-3R-136 and now the F3X is helping to bridge that gap, and make a single poweradder do what two can.

Some people love N20, some love turbos, others enjoy superchargers....
But most will agree, NOTHING on earth sounds like a blower car.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:46 PM   #20
CHFdad14

Nobody ever said people can't run two prochargers. People have done it. I have never seen the outcome.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:48 PM   #21
ProCharger

Quote:
Nobody ever said people can't run two prochargers. People have done it. I have never seen the outcome.
It doesn't work that way... (not well at least)

Only one person successfully campaigned one (Mustang Mike)
And he would run the same times as the single ProCharged car on his team.

Both were very very well known cars in the radial world.
Lil Evil, and Mustang Mike.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:05 PM   #22
CHFdad14

Forgot about Mustang Mike. Great guy he will be missed.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #23
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:

lol...the point of this argument is that there is more to car speed than drag racing. Obviously, by your response you are one of the folks that doesn't realize this. There are a lot of drag racers on this forum but the drag strip is not the only place that cars go fast..... that is the point....

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:38 PM   #24
ProCharger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
lol...the point of this argument is that there is more to car speed than drag racing. Obviously, by your response you are one of the folks that doesn't realize this. There are a lot of drag racers on this forum but the drag strip is not the only place that cars go fast..... that is the point....
I think you made your point.
But most people do what they can do frequently....
So they do what most commonly available to them....

Stop lights and on-ramps (on everyone's daily drive)
1/8 mile tracks, (all over the place)
1/4 mile tracks (still common in big cities)
1/2 mile events.... still pretty rare, only in a few places.

We actually held the C7 1/2 mile and mile for a LONG LONG time as well.
And the Camaro records at one time too. (recently got the C6 record back)

I haven't however checked into either of those in a while, so unknown.

But I know that some people are planning on hitting those events in 2018, and those forms of racing will be more on our radar. (Hence our air to water intercooler system for these cars)

I am personally humbled by the amazing records our customers have done in all sorts of different events, from local to even land speed on the salt. IT really is amazing to see what people can do with superchargers.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:34 PM   #25
CHFdad14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
Lol I don't think you get what I'm saying in class dragracing the turbo cars are required to weigh more, smaller motors or limit turbo size. That's because they need to slow them down. To make it fair for the other guys. I hope this explains it better.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:20 AM   #26
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Lol I don't think you get what I'm saying in class dragracing the turbo cars are required to weigh more, smaller motors or limit turbo size. That's because they need to slow them down. To make it fair for the other guys. I hope this explains it better.
Okay, I got you. I guess I'm just a little frustrated with the entire drag racing basis for what is the best forced induction system. I just happen to live in a part of the country where there is a lot of open road and anytime I leave town I can pretty much hit 150+ mph without endangering anyone but me. I have to haul my car over 100 miles to a 1/4 mile track. I called up the only 1/4 strip within 200 miles and was told if my car broke into the 10's it had to have a cage before I made another pass. I'm not putting a cage in my street car. My Gen6 Camaro has never made a timed 1/4 mile pass because of this. But I can assure you it is pretty fast. Lets just say It would take a lot of effort on my part to show how fast my twin turbo Camaro is, I have owned several supercharged cars and on the open road.... this thing is a lot faster. It is about a 180mph standing mile car on pump gas.

Just venting a little. Don't want to take anything away from what procharger has accomplished in the drag racing world. But where I live, I wouldn't trade my turbos.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:04 AM   #27
PinHead
Banned

Drives: Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCharger View Post
To be devil's advocate...

If what you say is true...
Then why do ProCharger powered GM's hold all these track records?

and I am sure plenty that I don't even know about....

Just saying that turbo guys seem to dog on blower cars all the time. Yet the blower cars are the ones at the track every weekend, setting records and enjoying the boost.
It depends what Track you're speaking about.

Now @ Bonnieville Gale Banks has been setting records with Turbo-powered SBC since the 1970s,

Quote:
1978, Banks decided to build twin-turbo small-block Chevrolet for automotive applications. One of his first efforts made 900 hp and 750 lb-ft of torque at 30 lbs of boost, from only 301ci.

Turbo'd SBC/BBC have been around Bonnieville for decades.

http://www.streetmusclemag.com/featu...aking-records/

Banks has been tasked by GM to produce several Banks Turbo-Charged GM Factory platforms starting in 1982 for the 6.2L Chevy Diesel Pickup. Banks also has NUMEROUS Marine and Military Turbo projects that are incredible.
PinHead is offline   Reply With Quote