Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-21-2016, 02:02 PM   #1
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Possible diff 3.27 diff swap available for v6 automatic owners

I thought I would post this for anyone that dares to go above and beyond... I was seeing if perhaps there was a lower gear diff swap I could easily do on my 2.0 but I'm SOL... But for you v6 Automatic owners, I'm fairly certain that you can ditch those lame 2.77 gears and bolt in the 3.27 differential from an automatic 2.0 car.

Looking at parts diagrams and part numbers, the Auto v6 and 2.0 axles are the same part numbers, and the drive shafts are the same part numbers... This leads me to believe that the Auto 2.0 3.27 diff would be a direct swap for the v6 auto cars. And because it appears that so many of the parts are the same, I don't believe the 2.0 diff would be any weaker than the v6 diff. They are probably the same with just a different ring and pinion, and possibly the carrier.

Going from a 2.77 to the 3.27 would feel appx like an 18% torque increase on your car. that's a pretty big deal...

I know when I went from a 2.92 to 3.27 on my G8, it made it feel like a whole new car, and I gained just over a tenth in the 1/4 mile.

Food for thought and/or discussion.

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 10-21-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #2
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
good find. that would be an easy swap, maybe an hour or two at most for most shadetree mechanics.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:14 AM   #3
VAAR

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT V6
I wonder what it would be like on the freeway...
VAAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:57 PM   #4
PolynesianPowerhouse

A bit less gas mileage..., it would probably be no different than the cars that already have it. You figured if they already have the a8, and the 3.27 paired up, youd figure the specs on it should remain similar.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
Old 10-23-2016, 08:41 PM   #5
WhiteLightening

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 RS, 2005 Mustang GT
Since these are GM PARTS, would it be worth it? Are they making after market gears for our v6 cars ever?

I would be really interested in this idea If GM gives us gears from the 2.0 one day as a upgrade package..or when my warranty runs out hehe.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:20 AM   #6
PolynesianPowerhouse

Bigger question is how to adjust the gear ratio via tuning. Which will be required

Old 10-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #7
Gen6Rs

Drives: 16 black RS
I bet it wouldnt even hurt mileage because of these being so over geared in the transmission. All these sites claim like 240 rwhp on the Dyno but thats in 5th / 6th gear. I did a 4th geear run and got 269, 241 tq. that being said the current gearing is holding back much of you HP and torque in the upper gear range.
Gen6Rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:56 PM   #8
Jason@JacFab

The bummer thing about it is still no limited slip... I've been searching trying to find some other car that uses the same diff with a limited slip, but no luck...

For anyone daring enough to try this I found a 2.0 auto diff with 1k miles on it at LKQ in florida, Pretty sure they would ship it, it's $410. Seems like a screamin deal

https://lkqonline.com/Chevrolet/Cama...y/+i~134157645

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 10-25-2016 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:29 AM   #9
WhiteLightening

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 RS, 2005 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
The bummer thing about it is still no limited slip... I've been searching trying to find some other car that uses the same diff with a limited slip, but no luck...

For anyone daring enough to try this I found a 2.0 auto diff with 1k miles on it at LKQ in florida, Pretty sure they would ship it, it's $410. Seems like a screamin deal

https://lkqonline.com/Chevrolet/Cama...y/+i~134157645
Do you guys believe that Chevy will ever make performance gearing for our v6?
Old 10-25-2016, 01:07 PM   #10
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLightening View Post
Do you guys believe that Chevy will ever make performance gearing for our v6?
Doubt it... The only hope is that the 1LE v6 car get's a more aggressive gear ratio that you could swap into the manual trans cars, but I haven't done any research on it. I believe for the manual transmission cars an SS diff swap may be a bolt in affair which would give you 3.73 gears, but the auto guys have very little options.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #11
Sydtron

Drives: 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Premium RWD
My ATS 3.6 has a 3.27 LSD with the 6-speed automatic - the 2016+ ATS 3.6's still has the 3.27 rear end even with the 8L45, and the Premium Performance trim gets the LSD. The parts are there, I wonder if the electronics would play nice though.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #12
PolynesianPowerhouse

anyone hear anything at sema about tuning to come out? once you do a gear change or rear end swap, you gotta program the ecu to know the different gear ratios...

Old 11-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #13
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
would the final gear ratio matter for anything other than the speedo? back in my pre-6th gen camaros, that was the only thing really effected. Transmission would be dependent on the rpm and throttle position for gear changes...

if the gears were close enough and all that changed was lsd...might even be able to ignore updating anything for the speedo. just mentally correct it (what i did on my 3rd gen when i swapped in a borg 9 bolt)
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:52 PM   #14
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
would the final gear ratio matter for anything other than the speedo? back in my pre-6th gen camaros, that was the only thing really effected. Transmission would be dependent on the rpm and throttle position for gear changes...

if the gears were close enough and all that changed was lsd...might even be able to ignore updating anything for the speedo. just mentally correct it (what i did on my 3rd gen when i swapped in a borg 9 bolt)
Your abs and wheel speed sensors are dependent on it I figured.

Don't know for sure how it works on gm, but on Dodge, when I used the trinity. When I swapped from the 2.72 to the 3.07, I didn't change gear ratios in the tune, and I kept getting the esp/bas & abs light.

Could be wrong, but I was warned about the same at a local camaro shop, hence the reason I paid for the Trans tune credits to later do a different swap. 6th gen came out so I never got that far.