Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-17-2020, 09:27 AM   #1
Filiper

Drives: 2019 zl1 1le
Ordering a new car

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a new ZLE and potentially looking at ordering one since no dealers in my area want to deal on anything at the moment. I've never done this before, so had a few questions for those who have.

1. Do you typically pay MSRP - any incentives available at time of delivery?
2. If the car arrives in a state you're unhappy with, can you reject the car without penalty?
3. When we're not in the current state we're in, what's the typical turnaround time? Obviously given everything going on, I'd expect at least 3 months delivery.

Appreciate any information.
Filiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filiper View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a new ZLE and potentially looking at ordering one since no dealers in my area want to deal on anything at the moment. I've never done this before, so had a few questions for those who have.

2. If the car arrives in a state you're unhappy with, can you reject the car without penalty?
3. When we're not in the current state we're in, what's the typical turnaround time? Obviously given everything going on, I'd expect at least 3 months delivery.

1. NEVER pay MSRP for a car, even if you order it (I had several dealers tell me that I HAD to pay MSRP (one even went as far as telling me it was "GM's Rule and any dealer not following it is risking their dealership license"), I kept shopping around until I found dealers that would negotiate, then I pitted to against each other)... I ordered a 2020 2SS and paid about 10% below MSRP... Negotiate the price and then it should be that minus any incentives available at time of delivery. You'll always do better buying one off the lot, but I wanted exactly what I wanted and there were none available so I was happy to order.

2. Yes, there was a $500 deposit when I ordered, but it is refundable (in most states).

3. I ordered mine on Nov 8, took deliver Jan 17 (and that was with a 2 week holiday shutdown of the plant)...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...

Last edited by 2SS Capt; 04-17-2020 at 11:50 AM.
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:46 AM   #3
VQ35DE

Drives: 2013 / 2SS / RS / L99
I have ordered countless new cars a trucks and never had to give a deposit.
VQ35DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #4
mikec3104

Drives: 2020 LT1
Not sure I would do a factory order now. I was about an inch away from a factory order in early March. I was told it would likely be 20-24 weeks for delivery, and this was before the pandemic.
mikec3104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:20 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
A couple things…

First, Don’t talk to anyone at a dealership except the general manager or the general sales manager. At least at first. If they turn you over to somebody who’s experienced, that’s OK but start out your conversations with mgmt. The amount you pay for an order car is no different then the amount you pay if it’s sitting on their lot, it’s what you negotiate. Every dealer right now will at first balk on ordering a car , as they want to sell you a car in inventory. But if you persist it will usually straighten out.

Second , from my experience with the BMW plant in sc, I wouldn’t trust any production line that’s just getting back up to speed. I’d let it run for several months before I think they will produce 100% intact product. There are just too many vendors , parts and workers that have to come into sync before the product rolls off the line with a good QC. The Chevy QC is rotten enough without a pandemic being thrown in the mix…
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:26 PM   #6
cooldawg

Drives: RAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec3104 View Post
Not sure I would do a factory order now. I was about an inch away from a factory order in early March. I was told it would likely be 20-24 weeks for delivery, and this was before the pandemic.
Wow, just in time to look at your Z hibernating in the garage and go ice fishing, lol. I hadn’t heard this... That explains why they aren’t real eager to clear inventory. Once the Wuhan Communist China mess clears (Lord help us, very soon), they’re going to be a hot commodity.

But if things don’t get get to normal by summer, dealers are going to take a beating. If this mess lingers, that’ll be the time to buy- maybe with a month or two to enjoy before snow.

Never, ever pay MSRP. If they require a deposit, don’t sign anything that would imply it is non-refundable. Cars can have significant flaws or get damaged in transit. I had that nightmare experience on a Dodge. Had to file dispute with my CC company to get deposit back. I was successful because I didn’t sign a non- refundable agreement. The dealership tried to keep it despite having sold my car to another customer (at a higher margin, no less).
cooldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:27 PM   #7
Filiper

Drives: 2019 zl1 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
A couple things…

First, Don’t talk to anyone at a dealership except the general manager or the general sales manager. At least at first. If they turn you over to somebody who’s experienced, that’s OK but start out your conversations with mgmt. The amount you pay for an order car is no different then the amount you pay if it’s sitting on their lot, it’s what you negotiate. Every dealer right now will at first balk on ordering a car , as they want to sell you a car in inventory. But if you persist it will usually straighten out.

Second , from my experience with the BMW plant in sc, I wouldn’t trust any production line that’s just getting back up to speed. I’d let it run for several months before I think they will produce 100% intact product. There are just too many vendors , parts and workers that have to come into sync before the product rolls off the line with a good QC. The Chevy QC is rotten enough without a pandemic being thrown in the mix…
You bring up a really good point about the QC. I hadn't thought of that. I'll start pestering these dealers a bit more I suppose. I've just had a hard time getting below 3% msrp on even a 2019.

Thanks for the reply guys.
Filiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:30 PM   #8
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec3104 View Post
I had actually ordered a new 1SS 1LE in Riverside blue on March 16th at my local dealer. Order accepted March 17th, factories shut down 2 days later.

Well, fast forward, I decided not waiting to see when/if it would even be built now so......I cancelled the order and I am just completing a deal with a dealer in NJ (I'm Long Island NY) and I am picking up my new Camaro tomorrow!

Only one I could fine that was exactly what I was ordering. So, no waiting, I get it NOW!!!!

I agree, not sure ordering now is a good idea, and they may only be taking orders for 2021 at this point I would think.

Good luck whatever you decide!
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:36 PM   #9
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filiper View Post
Hi everyone,

Contact BeckyD@James Martin Chevrolet on this board she can hook you up.

I have known her for years by far the best buying experience I have had.

BeckyD@JamesMartinChevy
Michigan's #1 Camaro Dealer
Fly In - Drive Out or I Deliver!
Only 20 min from Detroit Metro Airport
313 875-0507 - Direct Line
ChevyFleet@aol.com
Old 04-17-2020, 02:42 PM   #10
Midnight Rat

Drives: SS 1LE
Are you able to place orders on 2021’s now?
Midnight Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 06:16 PM   #11
mark lewis
ROTN APL

Drives: 2017 red hot ss
I would like to know also. I want the LT1 RS
mark lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 06:30 PM   #12
EXSSIVE

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS M6
No orders are being accepted currently. You can build a car but you cannot place it.
EXSSIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:55 PM   #13
Midnight Rat

Drives: SS 1LE
So dealers can build one but cannot place the order yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXSSIVE View Post
No orders are being accepted currently. You can build a car but you cannot place it.
Midnight Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:19 PM   #14
EXSSIVE

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rat View Post
So dealers can build one but cannot place the order yet?
Correct, no allocations were given on any vehicles this week. We can request vehicles but it's pointless at this time as they're not pulling anything to be built.
EXSSIVE is offline   Reply With Quote