Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-17-2020, 06:54 PM   #1
dzych

Drives: Camaro
Hurst shifter vs 1le shifter

Hi All, I’m tempted to pull the trigger on ordering myself the Hurst short throw that lets you use the oem knob. I love the white ball but not in the 1le interior. Many people do this mod and/or your opinions if worth the money over the stock 1le shifter? Any negative fb on this shifter? I had put a hurst in my ‘13 2SS and loved it. Darryl
dzych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:38 AM   #2
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
From what I hear it's a serious PITA to swap? I heard it doesn't top load right through the cockpit?
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:35 AM   #3
cmeJATT

Drives: SS-6-SPD
Hurst = really short
1LE = almost stock

PITA to install... if I had to choose go Hurst..
cmeJATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:24 PM   #4
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
I can barely tell any difference with my 2020 SS 1LE shifter VS the one in my 2017 Camaro SS
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:29 AM   #5
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
I can barely tell any difference with my 2020 SS 1LE shifter VS the one in my 2017 Camaro SS
I feel like you would have to drive both cars back to back for any difference to be noticed. Factory short shifters aren't normally as aggressive as aftermarket ones.
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:47 PM   #6
Agent K

Drives: 2017 ZL1 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzych View Post
Hi All, I’m tempted to pull the trigger on ordering myself the Hurst short throw that lets you use the oem knob. I love the white ball but not in the 1le interior. Many people do this mod and/or your opinions if worth the money over the stock 1le shifter? Any negative fb on this shifter? I had put a hurst in my ‘13 2SS and loved it. Darryl
Night and day. Very noticable after you first drive it. The precision is spot on. I kept my stock knob. BTW, the stock knob is nicely weighted. I've had the Hurst shifter for a while now and it's a solid engineered piece; no problems.

The bad: This is a tough install and requires (2) people at certain steps of the install and special tools. It requires dropping the exhaust, driveshaft, and transmission (slightly). On a scale of 1 to 10 for DIYers, this is a 10.
2017 ZL1 Arctic Blue Metallic / 6MT / sunroof / NAV / PDR / RotoFab CAI + dry filter / Tony Mamo TB V1 / Skip Shift Eliminator / Hurst Short Throw Shifter / ZL1 floor mats / Dead Pedal cover (to match other pedals) / ARH Catless 1-7/8" headers + ARH X-pipe + AWE Touring Axle-Back / Diode Dynamic smoked side markers / American Authority tow hook

Last edited by Agent K; 05-21-2020 at 05:07 AM.
Agent K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:47 AM   #7
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
the 1LE shifter is only 6% shorter than stock the Hurst is 40% shorter. i recommend doing a softer reverse spring. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Soft-Revers...53.m2749.l2649 the reverse spring is easy to install if you have a pair of snap ring pliers. the shifter is time consuming but not hard. if you have a lift. i wouldn't do it on jack stands. id rather pay a gm performance shop to do it if i didnt have a lift. actually if you wanted we could do it on my lift. im 107miles from you.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:29 PM   #8
dzych

Drives: Camaro
Thanks all for the input I ordered it going to have a gm tech friend do the install for me cheers DZ
dzych is offline   Reply With Quote