Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-02-2020, 10:10 PM   #1
Scoonie12g

Drives: 2020 2SS
Questions Regarding 2SS vs 2SS 1LE

I am going to be placing an order soon, but I am still undecided on if I'm better off getting a 2SS or a 2SS 1LE.

Here's my dilemma: There are two things that I want, and if I could get them together, it would make this process a whole lot easier, but I can't. I love the wheels on the 1LE. And I love the adrenaline red interior. But that's not an order option.

I do not want the MRR replicas.
I will not track the car.
It'll be a daily driver during the warm months and tucked away during the winter as I also have a truck.
I'm only interested in a manual.

Because I will not be tracking the car, I am thinking of just getting a 2SS with the red interior, but if I do, how easy is it to get the OEM 1LE wheels? I have not talked to my dealer about this yet, and I know the OEM wheels are expensive, but I'm not too concerned about it. I'm more concerned about fit. I've read in other threads that some members have had zero issues putting those on a regular SS, but I wanted to make sure that's true and to see if there are any other issues I should be concerned about?

The other thing I'm interested in is lowering the car. I can get the GM lowering kit (build and price option on their website) on the regular SS, which lowers the car about 0.8 inches. I'm not looking to lower it a ton, but a little more than factory to give it a slightly more aggressive look. I've read on here where the 1LE sits about 0.3 inches lower than the SS, so if that's true, would there be any issues with rubbing if the 1LE wheels and set-up are sitting an additional half inch lower? And I know the MRR wheels have a better offset and tuck in more, but I prefer OEM. This is something I'm not budging on.

Just trying to figure out if rubbing will be an issue or if putting the 1LE wheels on a regular SS will cause any potential fitment issues that I may be unaware of? I'm hoping worst case scenario is that I may have to decline the option of adding the GM lowering kit (if I decide to go this route).

The other option I'm considering is the 2SS 1LE. This way I get the rims I want, the car is already somewhat lowered, and it's a tremendous value. If I go this route, I was planning on looking at Katzkin leather in order to get the red interior. I've also read where some people say the Recaro's aren't as comfortable as the regular leather.

The only thing preventing me from going this route is concern over the drive/ride quality. I've read several threads/opinions on here about it and there seems to be some mixed reviews. So as a Daily driver, is there a noticeable difference between the regular 2SS and the 2SS 1LE? If I get a 1LE, will I regret it as a DD?

And my dealer has never had a 1LE in stock and I'd have to drive over 50 miles to try and test drive one, and with it being winter, I don't think I'll be able to do that right now.

Knowing all of that, what would you do? Any and all opinions are appreciated!

Thanks
Scoonie12g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:34 PM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I'd get the 2SS 1LE and wrap the seats plus get the red interior goodies later (you can even snag the occasional deal with these adrenaline red leather seats being parted out). The 1LE has everything you need but this one thing, if you go the other way around, you will never be able to fully replicate the 1LE, but will spend just as much as the price difference for less.

As to ride quality, all comments are useless and you need to drive one, everyone's preferences and tolerance levels are different, only you can decide if the ride quality is okay with you for a DD or not. If dealerships near you don't have any 1LE in stock, perhaps someone near you will chime in and generously offer you a ride or even a drive in theirs.

Good luck with your quest

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:44 PM   #3
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
The 2SS 1LE is an amazing performer, not nearly as stiff and unforgiving as a ZL1 1LE, but with a lot of the same stuff that comes with the ZL1. I want to call it the ultimate chevy "grand tourer", but that's not really correct, because it gives up virtually nothing in terms of performance.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:08 PM   #4
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
1LE Suspensión is a bit stiff IMO. Like the other post mentioned , test drive as much as you can.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:02 AM   #5
cmfhsu

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Is there a noticeable difference in DD quality? Yes. The 1LE suspension & whels - even in tour mode - is stiff. Not more stiff than any other sports car, but stiffer than the non 1LE.

You simply have to ask yourself whether the other goodies on the 1LE are worth it. The seats on my 1LE are one of my favorite parts. Heated, cooled, and crazy grippy. Perfect for some fast autocross laps.
cmfhsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:29 AM   #6
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Buy a 2SS 1LE and call it done!! You get leather, the 1LE wheels, and the suspension drop you are looking for. The Recaros are not terrible once you sit in them and have some seat time driving the car which doesn’t take long. The Recaros have broken in nicely in my ZL1 and are actually more comfortable and supportive than the regular seats in the 2016 2SS that I used to own especially on long trips. It seems to me from what you have posted in your thread that a 2SS 1LE would be the best option for you!
Old 01-03-2020, 09:05 AM   #7
Mov Ov3r
What speed limit?

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Like was said earlier, you will get a lot of varying opinions about the DD ability of the 1LE, people complain about harsh ride, visibility, the bolstering of the seats hindering ease of ability to get in and out of the car. Truthfully you have to test drive it to understand your preferences. I don't mind a harsh ride, it's a sports car, not a Mercedes Benz. I never understood the thought of someone buying these cars expecting it to drive like you're floating on a cloud. In terms of ride height the 1LE rims fit the wheel well perfectly. I don't have any information on lowered 1LE and rubbing issues I'll let someone else chime in there.

Things to consider with the 1LE rims are road noise, and tire wear. These tires are eaten up quickly, most go around 7-10K miles before they're done. The rims also poke and lead to rock chips on the rear quarter panel something you can avoid with rock guards or PPF the entire rear quarter panel if you wish.

I daily my 1SS 1LE and wouldn't have it any other way. The car is truly a blast to drive around but you get the best out of it on a track / auto x / hpde events. You should absolutely test drive both the standard 2SS and 2SS 1LE to get a better idea which is more comfortable to you. I test drove a 1SS and 1LE multiple times before I settled on the 1LE. I fit perfectly in the Recaro's 6'1, 195 pounds for reference.
Mov Ov3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:14 AM   #8
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
As a SS 1LE owner...

The SS 1LE rides no worse than the SS to me or my previous C6 Corvette Z51. I dont know who buys a performance car and then expects the ride quality of a Lexus.

As said the tires on the 1LE wont last more than 10k miles, so you may want to factor that into your price.

Contrary to what one of the replies said, you wont be able to pick up used Adrenaline Red seat covers and put them on the Recaro seats, they are 2 completely different seats and seat designs. I'm not even sure Katzskin makes covers for the 1LE Recaro seats yet.

I bought the 17 SS 1LE over the SS because it had some of the features I wanted and a price that was better than a 2SS. By the time I added the 1LE brakes, wheels/tires, Recaro seats, NPP, MRC and the HUD I was going to be well above what I got my 17 SS 1LE for at my price.

The SS 1LE is one of the most under-rated vehicles GM makes in my eyes. It makes for an amazing DD and offers one of the best driver experiences you can ask for, and this is coming from someone who hasnt been able to even track my car yet due to work and personal obligations.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:26 AM   #9
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
1LE in tour mode is pretty comfy, but I haven't driven a standard SS so can't comment on if it's a worse ride. Also, I thought the 1LE ride height was the same as the SS.

My $.02 - Get the standard SS and put the 1LE wheels on it with tires more suited for the street. You could even run a slightly narrower tire if you're worried about rubbing, but you shouldn't have an issue, even lowered. There was a wiring harness in the drivers rear wheel well in the early cars (16-17) that could get rubbed through with wide tires, but I don't think it's been an issue on 18+.

If you're worried about ride quality, why lower the car? It won't do anything to improve the ride.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:59 PM   #10
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laststandard View Post
1LE in tour mode is pretty comfy, but I haven't driven a standard SS so can't comment on if it's a worse ride. Also, I thought the 1LE ride height was the same as the SS.

My $.02 - Get the standard SS and put the 1LE wheels on it with tires more suited for the street. You could even run a slightly narrower tire if you're worried about rubbing, but you shouldn't have an issue, even lowered. There was a wiring harness in the drivers rear wheel well in the early cars (16-17) that could get rubbed through with wide tires, but I don't think it's been an issue on 18+.

If you're worried about ride quality, why lower the car? It won't do anything to improve the ride.
People confuse terms and functions of the suspension. The 1LE rides EXTREMELY smooth for a track oriented car. The MRC does an AMAZING job.

Where things get stiff on the 1LE is in the sway bars. The sway bars are stiff and in turn they cross-talk when you go over bumps unevenly.

My g/f has a Mazda CX-5 and the ride quality isn't any better in that than the 1LE in comfort mode as far as soaking up bumps.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:40 PM   #11
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
I daily drove my 2ss 1le and the ride is fine, but you are in a sports car that can pull 1 g so it’s no caddy. But I love the seats , magnetic ride , the wheels are beautiful ( though super dusty because of the brake pads) so in my opinion it’s a great fun daily
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #12
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Contrary to what one of the replies said, you wont be able to pick up used Adrenaline Red seat covers and put them on the Recaro seats, they are 2 completely different seats and seat designs. I'm not even sure Katzskin makes covers for the 1LE Recaro seats yet.
Don't think I said GM covers... as an example, leatherseats.com offers 100% custom packages for the 6th gen Camaro. Not too cheap, about $1k for a full two-color, perforated leather set, but very high quality, applied with obsessively professional workmanship, and OP didn't indicate any financial concerns (au contraire).

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:08 PM   #13
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mov Ov3r View Post
Like was said earlier, you will get a lot of varying opinions about the DD ability of the 1LE, people complain about harsh ride, visibility, the bolstering of the seats hindering ease of ability to get in and out of the car. Truthfully you have to test drive it to understand your preferences. I don't mind a harsh ride, it's a sports car, not a Mercedes Benz. I never understood the thought of someone buying these cars expecting it to drive like you're floating on a cloud. In terms of ride height the 1LE rims fit the wheel well perfectly. I don't have any information on lowered 1LE and rubbing issues I'll let someone else chime in there.

Things to consider with the 1LE rims are road noise, and tire wear. These tires are eaten up quickly, most go around 7-10K miles before they're done. The rims also poke and lead to rock chips on the rear quarter panel something you can avoid with rock guards or PPF the entire rear quarter panel if you wish.

I daily my 1SS 1LE and wouldn't have it any other way. The car is truly a blast to drive around but you get the best out of it on a track / auto x / hpde events. You should absolutely test drive both the standard 2SS and 2SS 1LE to get a better idea which is more comfortable to you. I test drove a 1SS and 1LE multiple times before I settled on the 1LE. I fit perfectly in the Recaro's 6'1, 195 pounds for reference.
I don’t think most drivers are buying sports cars and expecting them to ride like a cloud. We’re just providing honest feedback. I, for example have two other cars to compare to, and the 1LE suspension is significantly stiffer. As a weekend car I’m ok with that, as a daily driver maybe not...
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:40 PM   #14
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
thing to ask yourself are you going to track the car or not? if not no point in my opinion but up to you