Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-12-2022, 05:34 PM   #1
simanio872

Drives: 2022 2SS
Exclamation Clutch noise when engaged

Hey guys,

Hoping someone might have some ideas on whats going on with my rig. Started getting this vibration through the car above 2kish RPMs when driving or accelerating. Upon closer inspection i noticed that there is a sound coming from the transmission (i believe the clutch). Its not quite a grinding but its a constant “rubbing” sound. The sound completely stops if the clutch is fully disengaged at a stop but starts right back up once clutch starts to engage, even in neutral. Sound also seems to appear when in neutral while changing gears. It seems like gear changes are also less smooth and a little clunky or have a little more resistance. Not sure if this is relevant but trans temp did not seem to climb over 120F while driving about 45 min at various speeds (no idea what operating temp is though).

Any ideas what i could be looking at here? First thought was throwout bearing but if I'm not mistaken that would be making sound with the clutch disengaged too. Second thought is I'm garbage at driving stick and managed to fry a clutch in 5k miles, which is possible but i like to think im proficient at driving a manual lol.

Also would anybody have any knowledge on whether or not I'd be covered under warranty with a modified car? Absolutely nothing on the transmission has been touched but the engine is modified well past the point of being covered.

Thank you guys for any info or comments and I'm happy to answer any questions
simanio872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 05:53 PM   #2
cjperformance

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th Anniversary
I dont know modern manuals, but first thought when you said "in neutral changing gears", was synchros.
CircleD 3K Stall | QA1 CF Driveshaft
Forgestar F14 Drag 17x10 NT555R2 305/45/17 Rear
Forgestar F14 18x8 NT555G2 235/50/18 Front
10.84@131 w/4.13" pulley
??.??@??? w/3.7" pulley (installed & tuning)
cjperformance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 05:55 PM   #3
simanio872

Drives: 2022 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjperformance View Post
I dont know modern manuals, but first thought when you said "in neutral changing gears", was synchros.
I believe some dude posted earlier mentioning syncro issues from the factory, something I'll need to look into for sure. Thanks man!
simanio872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 09:50 PM   #4
Bains

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6T
I've been having this similar issue since buying the car but chalked it up to typical clutch chatter from what i've been hearing. Mine also sounds like it's rubbing when the clutch is out in neutral but when I press the clutch in, the sound goes away. Lately, it's been more apparent and i'll notice that rubbing sound sometimes when I let off the gas while driving (coasting) while coming to a stop or if i'm giving it very light gas. Also hearing a little more chatter while easing out the clutch in first or reverse. Were you able to get your car checked out and figure out whats wrong? I've never got any of the clutch overuse messages or check transmission messages either. I like to think i'm decent at driving and i've never no lift shifted or done any crazy pulls.
Bains is offline   Reply With Quote