Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-25-2021, 01:34 PM   #1
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
Lightbulb Elite Engineering E2-X Dual Valve Ultra Catch Can Front Install in a ZL1 Overview

I finally got around to installing the Elite Engineering E2-X Dual Valve Ultra Catch Can into my 2021 Camaro ZL1.

I did a quick overview video on everything here:

I'm not sure if the Ultra version of the E2-X catch can is listed on Elite Engineering website or not but I had emailed them and ordered it via email. The Ultra can really isn't needed unless you are higher horsepower and/or plan to go that route at some point down the road.

I have the LSA Conversion LT4 Supercharger Reservoir Upgrade v2 installed in my car which pretty much takes away from the more traditional mount location for the catch can which is why I went with a front install. I went with 2 brackets that Elite Engineering sent me, "XL Long" and "Double-Bracket" brackets.

I also picked up a T'd quick connect fitting from GarageKing on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmL...UsiPDQouqGTeNw). The quick connect fitting let me keep my hoses all un-cut and factory fresh, lol. I'm sure a similar fitting can be put together on your own if you so desire.

When I installed the catch can I also installed a Roto-Fab intake and had tapped into the Roto-Fab elbow for one of the connections from the catch can outlet, the other outlet from the can going to the quick connect T fitting off the manifold.

As others have mention, you have to pull the supercharger lid off (17 10mm bolts I believe it was), and then remove the 20 10mm bolts from the supercharger to the manifold (these are "1-use" bolts, though some re-use them... I didn't and replaced them), https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...t-set-12679527 (can occasionally find JUST the bolts minus the gaskets for a much more reasonable price).

Clean up any funky oil residue and puddling, as needed (mine wasn't horrible, but this was at 1950 or so miles).

Once bolts are pulled you can lift up the supercharger to get clearance to the PVC valve and remove it. I used some tape and cardboard, as others have, to hold the supercharger high enough to work.

You will then swap in the EE PVC valve with hose barb. My hose barb stuck out to far and wouldn't clearance the water-pump.

I had to Dremel down the bottom edge (emailed EE about this and they said they have revised the barb to clear without modification and I may of received the older style).

Tighten down the EE PVC valve/hose carb combo unit and make sure the hose barb is lined up so the hose can clearance everything with the supercharger back in place.

Drop the supercharger back down (make sure gaskets are not pinched or damaged) and put in the 20 new bolts (don't torque).. make sure washers are all accounted for as well as the little plastic sleeve spacers (all of the black plastic sleeve spacers stayed in place in the supercharger when I had removed the bolts so I left them and pulled them off of the new bolts as they all seemed in good shape and undamaged).

Torque bolts as per doc, here it is on the forum with the order and specs: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...91&postcount=8

Clean up the supercharger lid and remove any oil residue and, if you wish, take this opportunity to remove the steel plate on the underside of the lid if you want to up the supercharger whine noise a little bit (these photos are after I cleaned the lid.. lid wasn't bad but there was a good amount of oil under the steel plate).

Install the lid back into place, reinstall the supercharger lid bolts (reusable), and follow torque/order specs as per the link above.

Install catch can bracket to the coolant hose bolt and the XL bracket to the first bracket and then the O ring clamp bracket to that with the catch can. Recess the can as far as you can. You will need to pop a clip holding a cable/pipe that runs on the inside of the fan and push it down so the can can clearance down. Make sure nothing is hitting the fan such as the fan shroud.

Connect the hoses.. Center valve on the top of the can goes to the PVC valve hose barb from EE, and the 2 outer valves on the top of the can, which are interchangeable on where they run to between each other, goes, one, to the intake elbow fitting, and the other, to the manifold (T fitting quick connect for me). For the intake elbow fitting I had drilled and tapped the elbow and installed the hose barb. I "believe" I drilled it at 3/8" and then ran a 1/2" tap through it.

Cut and run the hoses how you like, I tried to make the hose runs as short as I could without any wild sharp turns and tried to keep it clean looking.

I utilized the c7 Z06 installation instructions from EE: https://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/...atch%20Can.pdf

I also watched a couple videos I found on YouTube for the install.

Thank you!
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 01:35 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
looks good sir i have same one on my ss !
Old 08-25-2021, 01:36 PM   #3
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
looks good sir i have same one on my ss !
Awesome!

Where did you install it on yours?
Old 08-25-2021, 01:53 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i didnt install mine but we did it on drivers side above air filter box
Old 08-25-2021, 02:14 PM   #5
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i didnt install mine but we did it on drivers side above air filter box
Gotcha! Yeah, seems around that location or where my sc reservoir is the common spot. Much less in the front though Might mouse seems to do a number of theirs in the front as well.
Old 08-25-2021, 02:45 PM   #6
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
I have the same one also I love it. Installed it in the same position. Also ran a hose to the the bottom of the car So when i drain it real easy. Nice video I couldn't find no video with the ultra so I figured it out but your video is going to be helpful for future guys.
Attached Images

Last edited by 20Bluezl1; 08-25-2021 at 02:55 PM.
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 03:01 PM   #7
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
I have the same one also I love it. Installed it in the same position. Also ran a hose to the the bottom of the car So when i drain it real easy. Nice video I couldn't find no video with the ultra so I figured it out but your video is going to be helpful for future guys.
Awesome! Same.. not much info on it at all!

Looks like we ended up at very similar setups! You went with the quick connect as well, nice. Where did you pick the fitting up at?

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2021, 03:11 PM   #8
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by willzilla View Post
Awesome! Same.. not much info on it at all!

Looks like we ended up at very similar setups! You went with the quick connect as well, nice. Where did you pick the fitting up at?

Thanks!
Same guy in Canada
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 03:18 PM   #9
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
Same guy in Canada
Haha, awesome