#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 01-06-2020, 02:50 PM   #15
Sakudog

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie ZL1 View Post
Gotta be pushed really, really hard to run out of brakes!
COTA & RA can do it, I'm sure other places as well, but I right-seat at COTA and push 9/10ths when I'm trying to set a flyer in my ZL1 1LE. I've come to know the car and its limitations, it really only wants 2-3 "ON" laps and a cool down lap to stay happy in mild weather. However, if I was a less experienced driver trying to find my limits, the first thing I'd probably push past would be brakes. (SRF/CobaltPads/TrackAlignment)
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Sakudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:19 PM   #16
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakudog View Post
COTA & RA can do it, I'm sure other places as well, but I right-seat at COTA and push 9/10ths when I'm trying to set a flyer in my ZL1 1LE. I've come to know the car and its limitations, it really only wants 2-3 "ON" laps and a cool down lap to stay happy in mild weather. However, if I was a less experienced driver trying to find my limits, the first thing I'd probably push past would be brakes. (SRF/CobaltPads/TrackAlignment)
I lost my C6Z brakes at RA on turn 12. Had plenty of signs beforehand too just ignored them. Never make that mistake again...

I'm actually going to stick with stock everything besides fluid for a long while on the ZLE. My plan is to focus on the driver mod. It may take long enough that I never get a chance to upgrade anything before moving to the mighty C8 Z06.

Edit: and of course I'll do the track alignment
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:22 PM   #17
Sakudog

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
I lost my C6Z brakes at RA on turn 12. Had plenty of signs beforehand too just ignored them. Never make that mistake again...

I'm actually going to stick with stock everything besides fluid for a long while on the ZLE. My plan is to focus on the driver mod. It may take long enough that I never get a chance to upgrade anything before moving to the mighty C8 Z06.
Dude, one time on the brakes, you'll always listen to the feel in the big brake zones. You know, I'm a hot roder @ heart so I would understand if someone wanted to have a 700 rwhp car even if it was only 2-3 seconds quicker on COTA with all that power, because it would be so damn FUN and hard to tame on exit. Reality is, you can only use ZL1 1LE's full power on COTA in 3 spots, maybe 4 if you can squeeze it on earlier enough after T10!
Ryker #29
2019 ZL1 1LE A10
2015 Z/28 #809
Sakudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:58 PM   #18
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakudog View Post
Dude, one time on the brakes, you'll always listen to the feel in the big brake zones. You know, I'm a hot roder @ heart so I would understand if someone wanted to have a 700 rwhp car even if it was only 2-3 seconds quicker on COTA with all that power, because it would be so damn FUN and hard to tame on exit. Reality is, you can only use ZL1 1LE's full power on COTA in 3 spots, maybe 4 if you can squeeze it on earlier enough after T10!
Just got the ZLE two days ago so I'm in the middle of breaking it in. Haven't even burnished the brakes or even used them heavily to see what they feel like.

The plan is to autocross and run grandsport speedway and MSR here in Houston most of this year. Once I'm comfortable, I'll get out to COTA for the high speed stuff. I've been on COTA as a passenger and was very impressed. It is definitely fast like RA.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:24 PM   #19
esm

Drives: 2019 ZL1
I did a track day at COTA in December. First track day with a stock base A10 ZL1. I had a track alignment, Hawk DTC-70 pads front and rear along with Castrol SRF fluid, and stock Goodyears that came on the car. This was my 4th track day at COTA, the previous 3 were in a 2015 Viper. I ran 3 - 2:33 laps in a row and NEVER ran out of brakes and those pads were awesome they didn't even make any noise! I'm solo qualified and was out driving new ZR1's and keeping up with well driven Z06's. If you want to have more fun at the track, brakes, tires and seat time would be better than more power. After 3 good clean laps the Goodyears started getting greasy, but I drive to the track and don't want to do the trailer thing again.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:36 PM   #20
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
I did a track day at COTA in December. First track day with a stock base A10 ZL1. I had a track alignment, Hawk DTC-70 pads front and rear along with Castrol SRF fluid, and stock Goodyears that came on the car. This was my 4th track day at COTA, the previous 3 were in a 2015 Viper. I ran 3 - 2:33 laps in a row and NEVER ran out of brakes and those pads were awesome they didn't even make any noise! I'm solo qualified and was out driving new ZR1's and keeping up with well driven Z06's. If you want to have more fun at the track, brakes, tires and seat time would be better than more power. After 3 good clean laps the Goodyears started getting greasy, but I drive to the track and don't want to do the trailer thing again.
How far do you live from COTA? I'm in Houston and have concerns driving to Austin and back with track alignment on the 3Rs.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:42 PM   #21
esm

Corpus Christi, my track alignment won't be as aggressive as yours. Honestly it didn't feel that different on the street or highway. If I didn't do the track alignment I would have been sliding around every turn and having ZERO fun!
Old 01-07-2020, 08:44 PM   #22
ZRacerLE

I ran dtc-70 fronts and dtc-60 rears in the C6Z. Lots of fun for sure, but I look at it this way: the stock ZLE can run a 7:13 at the Ring. That setup is plenty fast for me!
Old 01-07-2020, 08:46 PM   #23
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Corpus Christi, my track alignment won't be as aggressive as yours. Honestly it didn't feel that different on the street or highway. If I didn't do the track alignment I would have been sliding around every turn and having ZERO fun!
Good data point. I'll definitely do the track alignment then.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:58 PM   #24
esm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
I ran dtc-70 fronts and dtc-60 rears in the C6Z. Lots of fun for sure, but I look at it this way: the stock ZLE can run a 7:13 at the Ring. That setup is plenty fast for me!
I learned from past experiences with the Viper. I did the first track day with stock pads and SRF fluid and got brake fade. And this is with a car that is 600lbs lighter than the Z. Not much fun slowing down from 150mph on the back stretch with less than adequate brakes. Then I had swapped to Carbotech race pads on stock rotors with SRF and got warped rotors and uneven pad deposits.

I decided to get an extra set of stock rotors and race pads for the ZL1 and swap BOTH for track days. Ken at KNS Brakes was a ton of help and I glad he recommended the Hawks! COTA is notoriously hard on brakes, you might try the first track day with stock pads but then as your times improve that will be the weak point.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:11 PM   #25
silverbullet415

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
I road coarse my car all the time and it makes 650rwhp. All the mods I’ve done are for heat and heat management

Arh 1 7/8 catless long system
160 degree t stat
Rotofab intake
100 octane
Tune

Never have any heat issues and runs way better
silverbullet415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:54 AM   #26
ZRacerLE

Quote:
I learned from past experiences with the Viper. I did the first track day with stock pads and SRF fluid and got brake fade. And this is with a car that is 600lbs lighter than the Z. Not much fun slowing down from 150mph on the back stretch with less than adequate brakes. Then I had swapped to Carbotech race pads on stock rotors with SRF and got warped rotors and uneven pad deposits.

I decided to get an extra set of stock rotors and race pads for the ZL1 and swap BOTH for track days. Ken at KNS Brakes was a ton of help and I glad he recommended the Hawks! COTA is notoriously hard on brakes, you might try the first track day with stock pads but then as your times improve that will be the weak point.
So you where getting brake fade at COTA on stock pads and rotors?

Edit: nevermind, I see your post above describing your setup

Has anyone here seen significant brake fade on stock pads and rotors on fast tracks?
Old 01-08-2020, 12:05 PM   #27
Ferntree

Drives: Jeep GC; GMC K1500; Maserati 222 4V
This guy has no problem with 850+

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/850-...C876B97DA69550

You're never too old to learn something stupid.
Ferntree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:24 PM   #28
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferntree View Post
Now THAT'S an impressive machine