Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-21-2023, 11:25 PM   #1
aa21

Drives: 2022 Chevrolet Camaro
Aftermarket Security

Hello everybody,

Was looking into installing a couple aftermarket security systems for my ‘22 SS that was stolen and thankfully recovered. I was looking into the compustar alarm system that comes with a built in kill switch as well as the IGLA system which prevents thieves from reprogramming the keys as well as has a pin code to get the car started. Spoke to a shop in town that was listed on the compustar website was a dealer, he told me that neither compustar nor IGLA are compatible with the ‘22 Camaro and that installing them would cause issues with the car’s computer. He also went on to say that no other system would work as it would cause trouble with the car’s computers.

I am skeptical to be honest, as I find it unusual that no single system on the market would work for the car based on what he said. Anybody here that was able to install a security system or aftermarket alarm on their Camaro?

Note: I know Onstar has the option to immobilize the car if stolen, but when my car was stolen the thieves ripped out the GPS antenna which made Onstar useless.
aa21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 01:03 AM   #2
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Maybe I’m over simplifying things, but why not install a hardwired kill switch for the starter solenoid or fuel pump?

If I was as concerned as you, I’d probably buy a large and very visible yellow steering wheel lock. It won’t stop the determined crook, but let’s face it.. most crooks are looking for an easy score.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 01:05 AM   #3
aa21

Drives: 2022 Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Maybe I’m over simplifying things, but why not install a kill switch for the starter solenoid or fuel pump?

If I was as concerned as you, I’d probably buy a large and very visible yellow steering wheel lock. It won’t stop the determined crook, but let’s face it.. most crooks are looking for an easy score.
The steering wheel lock is definitely something I was thinking of getting. I’ve been told that Ravelco works for this car, it’s basically a fancier type of kill switch.
aa21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 01:59 AM   #4
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Put a simple switch inline with the 12 volt supply for the fuel pump and hide that switch good, and they can duplicate your remotes till the cows come home and that car ain’t movin unless it’s on a tow truck.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 04:38 AM   #5
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5udbzT0fN7E
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 06:59 AM   #6
LT1gen6

Drives: '22 LT1 Coupe
My perspective regarding car theft:

1) If my car is stolen, I don't want to "recover" the stolen vehicle. It won't be in the same condition that it was when stolen.

2) In the event of a carjacking, assuming a handgun is used by thief, I do not want to "thwart" the theft with a "kill" switch. The "kill" switch could actually be the switch that gets me killed. I don't want to run and hide, gambling that I will avoid wrath of a "thwarted" carjacker.

Better to let a thief have their way, and get to live another day. .
LT1gen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 09:21 AM   #7
S.Macias
Monterey County Camaros

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Not necessarily for only the Camaro, but we have about a dozen security cameras on the property with at least three of them pointing to our cars at all angles. And the recording light turns on. We actually caught a guy one time checking locks. Walked up our driveway and before he even reached the vehicle the camera turned on and he walked away. Not before he looked right at it..

The Camaro is also kept in the garage with the little windows covered so you can't really see what's in. Also not keen on being "flashy" so the garage door opens, the car parks, and then it closes.

I also have accent lights that turn on in the evening. Looks quite nice at night too. Makes the house look fancy.

And, to prevent relay attacks, our keys are stored all the time inside a faraday box which effectively cuts the transmitter signal. And the cool part is the company gave us two small cases for travel. Only $25 on Amazon.

Lastly, we have a cane Corso and a Rhodesian ridgeback. 250 pounds of big dog between the both of them

I figured if someone wants something bad enough they'll get it. The cameras, faraday box and dogs should be enough of a small deterrent.

When at work, the car is parked in my line of sight. Elsewhere I try to park where I'd think a security camera would be aiming.

Otherwise not much you can do that won't seem like a constant chore. I think having to lock and unlock a steering wheel only keeps the bad guy waiting until your in your vehicle.

Last edited by S.Macias; 07-22-2023 at 02:36 PM.
S.Macias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 09:52 AM   #8
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
My take...

There's a reason why garaged single family cars have lower insurance. Thieves can't steal what the can't see. If OP can't do that, and odds are they cannot, a bar on the steering wheel plus lights and cameras, is the next best deterrent before they break in. Most will see some or all of the above and just move on down the road because it's not worth the hassle. But if the thief really wants the car, they're going to take the car. Doesn't matter what you spend on security systems. They'll just tow it to the chop shop.

If none of that is going to work for the OP, then my advice is to spend the security improvement budget on relocating to a better neighborhood.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 09:09 AM   #9
LT1_AP

Drives: 2021 LT1 10speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
Put a simple switch inline with the 12 volt supply for the fuel pump and hide that switch good, and they can duplicate your remotes till the cows come home and that car ain’t movin unless it’s on a tow truck.

Is there a video on how to do this or a online tutorial or guide or something because I need a kill switch asap and I’m not sure how to get this done.
LT1_AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 11:03 AM   #10
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1gen6 View Post
My perspective regarding car theft:

1) If my car is stolen, I don't want to "recover" the stolen vehicle. It won't be in the same condition that it was when stolen.

2) In the event of a carjacking, assuming a handgun is used by thief, I do not want to "thwart" the theft with a "kill" switch. The "kill" switch could actually be the switch that gets me killed. I don't want to run and hide, gambling that I will avoid wrath of a "thwarted" carjacker.

Better to let a thief have their way, and get to live another day. .
How often does carjacking happen up there. It's basically unheard of here, thieves generally think carjacking isn't worth dying for.
Old 09-24-2023, 12:27 PM   #11
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
How often does carjacking happen up there. It's basically unheard of here, thieves generally think carjacking isn't worth dying for.
Sounds like a proper place to me

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 06:13 AM   #12
muddeatr

Drives: Camaro RS 3LT
Buy a manual transmission. Built to thwart any modern day thieves.
muddeatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 08:05 AM   #13
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1_AP View Post
Is there a video on how to do this or a online tutorial or guide or something because I need a kill switch asap and I’m not sure how to get this done.
I'd take it to a reputable electronics install shop that does stereo installs on modern cars. No offense but if anyone asks how to do an electronic install on modern cars I do not recommend they try it themselves, even if there's on-line tutorials. Modern cars are too sensitive and touchy to do this without some experience of already knowing how to do this.
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 12:45 AM   #14
IMCWORTH

Drives: 2023 Camaro Convertible ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa21 View Post
Hello everybody,

Was looking into installing a couple aftermarket security systems for my ‘22 SS that was stolen and thankfully recovered. I was looking into the compustar alarm system that comes with a built in kill switch as well as the IGLA system which prevents thieves from reprogramming the keys as well as has a pin code to get the car started. Spoke to a shop in town that was listed on the compustar website was a dealer, he told me that neither compustar nor IGLA are compatible with the ‘22 Camaro and that installing them would cause issues with the car’s computer. He also went on to say that no other system would work as it would cause trouble with the car’s computers.

I am skeptical to be honest, as I find it unusual that no single system on the market would work for the car based on what he said. Anybody here that was able to install a security system or aftermarket alarm on their Camaro?

Note: I know Onstar has the option to immobilize the car if stolen, but when my car was stolen the thieves ripped out the GPS antenna which made Onstar useless.

This Guy was able to install an IGLA alarm on a Camaro. https://youtu.be/fo9ZQuJPhfY?si=Hk2wL0x2Dz-fS27A

Last edited by IMCWORTH; 09-29-2023 at 01:05 AM.
IMCWORTH is offline   Reply With Quote