Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #29
SSMOKINHOT
obseSSed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummoneR View Post
Are guys allowed in this thread?

I have dieted many times, and each time I lost a lot of weight approx. 40 pounds, then gained 60-80 pounds back each time. So over the years I have gradually grown to my current size... It's really frustrating. I recently started to ct a lot of sugar and bad carb's out of my diet and I lost 20 pounds and I have stopped losing. In High School I was in great shape. As most of us were haha. I was at 215 I am 6'-2" and have a natural big build. Big feet, hands, head etc. so being really skinny (Under 200 as the say I should be) I would look funny. Anyway my maximum weight was up to 365. I am currently down to 345. (well add 5 pounds for all the crazy holiday food I ate, but it will be gone in a week). Anyway my goal is to get to under 250. I have a buddy who works out a lot and he has a friend who is in really good shape and is 6'2" as well he weighs 230, That's where I'd like to be, a great in shape and under 250. My resolution this year is to get back into shape, other than round. haha. Most people are shocked to know how much I weigh they say I "wear it well". Whatever that means. Anyway my goal this year is to make the lifestyle change for good. I have cut soda and alcohol out of my diet. I rarely eat bread and when I do I eat high fiber whole grain breads. Pastas are very rare. I take fiber to help reduce the absorption of any sugars I may eat to help maintain my blood sugar levels. I am not diabetic, but I am trying not to become diabetic, it does run in my family. I recently purchased a stationary bike as walking for exercise is difficult on my ankles this weight.

Thanks for starting this thread BB!
EVERYONE is welcome here!!!

Here is my advice:

The biggest thing is if you want to lose the weight and KEEP IT OFF, you MUST make LIFESTYLE changes!!! You cannot do crash dieting...cutting too many foods out all at once or just going crazy insane exercising!! You will not be able to maintain this pace and you will end up quitting and sadly, probably gaining the weight back because you deprived yourself too much! To be successful, you have to make changes that you will be able maintain for the long haul and it sounds like you understand this and are ready to make the commitment!!! The good news is YOU CAN DO IT!!! Kelly (aka Veteran1) lost over 100 lbs last year!!

So, where should you start? Sounds like you have already targeted some of the known culprits like soda, alcohol, pasta and white breads. Good! My question is not so much of what you AREN'T eating and more of what you ARE eating!!! I highly recommend keeping a food journal!! Calories have a way of sneaking into our mouths and we aren't even thinking about it. Little bites here and there (think that little handful of M&Ms as you walk by someone's candy bowl at work) may seem harmless but they can add up!!

I would also recommend getting your fiber from FOOD and not in a pill or powder form!! Think VEGETABLES, FRUITS, WHOLE GRAIN CEREALS.

Also, stick with LEAN PROTEINS like chicken, fish, beans, and lean cuts of red meat. EGGS are our FRIENDS!!! EAT THEM!!!!!!! They got a bad rap back in the day, but research has found that they aren't as bad as they thought and most of the nutrients are actually in the yolks!! To save on some cholesterol, try making an omelet with a mixture of 2 regular eggs and 2 egg whites. Consume low fat varieties of dairy products such as milk, cheese and yogurt.

CARBS are NOT the enemy!! Only certain carbs are our arch nemesis!! Harvard has a good article on separating the good carbs from the bad carbs here: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritio...carbohydrates/

Know what SERVING SIZES are!! For instance, a serving of meat is about the size of a deck of cards. Take a look at that T-Bone steak you are gnawing on....typically weighing in at least 12 oz, that T-Bone is about 3 servings of meat!!! That is 600 calories!!

EAT 5 to 6 times a day to keep your blood sugars balanced!!! Basically, have 3 meals and 2 to 3 snacks. Start everyday with CARBS and PROTEINS...think oatmeal and boiled eggs for breakfast. Pairing the two will keep you fuller longer. Same with your snacks....pair protein with carbs...think apple with a cheese stick or peanut butter.

And, last but not least...get a subscription to Men's Health magazine! The articles are very informative! I also found that getting fitness magazines in the mail help keep me motivated!!! This thread is also a great place to find motivation and tips, great recipes, and support!! We are here to help each other succeed!!!

Okay, enough of me on my soap box for now. I know a lot of the above might be "no-brainers" but sometimes bear repeating just to keep the focus where it needs to be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
I'm in again. I put on a few lbs over the holidays & they have got to Goooooooooo! I will continue my dance exercize class (or as one of my C5 friends has dubbed it my "dance-your-azz-off class") 2-3 days a week, protien/fruit shake and stretch & light exercizes in the mornings and plan to add more strength training/muscle mass building activities. I will not be happy until this tummy completely goes away!
Sounds like you have a good plan! Looking forward to watching you progress!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgebunny View Post
Welcome! 210 sounds like a good number!

I know alot of people use myfitnesspal.com, or livestrong.com to calculate calories. I bought a journel I can physically write in and get my nubmers from caloriecounter.com.
Word of caution on the livestrong.com website....it has a calories burned calculator.......DO NOT take it at face value!!!! I know a girl who was thinking she was burning 1200 calories leisurely riding the stationary bike at level 1 for an hour and half-ass lifting weights for a half hour!!! NOT SO!!! Unless they have changed the calculator, it only goes off the exercise and duration, it does not factor in rate of perceived exhaustion or resistance or anything like that so it isn't very accurate. If you go off the counter, you could find yourself being sabotaged into thinking you burned more than you did so that cupcake or cookie you think you earned....well, nope, you didn't!! LoL!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #30
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
27 miles on a bike BB??
you are a workout fiend in disguise.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #31
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3 GBA
Lol I always thought this thread was about our cars lol.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #32
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBobGuptaMarley View Post

Dznts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #33
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Along with what you eat when you eat it is something as many know I am a believer in. Carb cycling is also important. Below are a couple of low carb diets, they are quite simple and bland but are a good example of macronutrient break downs and nutrient timing. These are low carb and following similar guidelines are excellent for fat loss but because they are very low carb one should incorporate a cheat meal that includes higher carbs once a week.
Attached Images

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #34
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Drives: Not a Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMOKINHOT View Post
EVERYONE is welcome here!!!

Here is my advice:

The biggest thing is if you want to lose the weight and KEEP IT OFF, you MUST make LIFESTYLE changes!!! You cannot do crash dieting...cutting too many foods out all at once or just going crazy insane exercising!! You will not be able to maintain this pace and you will end up quitting and sadly, probably gaining the weight back because you deprived yourself too much! To be successful, you have to make changes that you will be able maintain for the long haul and it sounds like you understand this and are ready to make the commitment!!! The good news is YOU CAN DO IT!!! Kelly (aka Veteran1) lost over 100 lbs last year!!

So, where should you start? Sounds like you have already targeted some of the known culprits like soda, alcohol, pasta and white breads. Good! My question is not so much of what you AREN'T eating and more of what you ARE eating!!! I highly recommend keeping a food journal!! Calories have a way of sneaking into our mouths and we aren't even thinking about it. Little bites here and there (think that little handful of M&Ms as you walk by someone's candy bowl at work) may seem harmless but they can add up!!

I would also recommend getting your fiber from FOOD and not in a pill or powder form!! Think VEGETABLES, FRUITS, WHOLE GRAIN CEREALS.

Also, stick with LEAN PROTEINS like chicken, fish, beans, and lean cuts of red meat. EGGS are our FRIENDS!!! EAT THEM!!!!!!! They got a bad rap back in the day, but research has found that they aren't as bad as they thought and most of the nutrients are actually in the yolks!! To save on some cholesterol, try making an omelet with a mixture of 2 regular eggs and 2 egg whites. Consume low fat varieties of dairy products such as milk, cheese and yogurt.

CARBS are NOT the enemy!! Only certain carbs are our arch nemesis!! Harvard has a good article on separating the good carbs from the bad carbs here: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritio...carbohydrates/

Know what SERVING SIZES are!! For instance, a serving of meat is about the size of a deck of cards. Take a look at that T-Bone steak you are gnawing on....typically weighing in at least 12 oz, that T-Bone is about 3 servings of meat!!! That is 600 calories!!

EAT 5 to 6 times a day to keep your blood sugars balanced!!! Basically, have 3 meals and 2 to 3 snacks. Start everyday with CARBS and PROTEINS...think oatmeal and boiled eggs for breakfast. Pairing the two will keep you fuller longer. Same with your snacks....pair protein with carbs...think apple with a cheese stick or peanut butter.

And, last but not least...get a subscription to Men's Health magazine! The articles are very informative! I also found that getting fitness magazines in the mail help keep me motivated!!! This thread is also a great place to find motivation and tips, great recipes, and support!! We are here to help each other succeed!!!

Okay, enough of me on my soap box for now. I know a lot of the above might be "no-brainers" but sometimes bear repeating just to keep the focus where it needs to be!

Sounds like you have a good plan! Looking forward to watching you progress!!!

Word of caution on the livestrong.com website....it has a calories burned calculator.......DO NOT take it at face value!!!! I know a girl who was thinking she was burning 1200 calories leisurely riding the stationary bike at level 1 for an hour and half-ass lifting weights for a half hour!!! NOT SO!!! Unless they have changed the calculator, it only goes off the exercise and duration, it does not factor in rate of perceived exhaustion or resistance or anything like that so it isn't very accurate. If you go off the counter, you could find yourself being sabotaged into thinking you burned more than you did so that cupcake or cookie you think you earned....well, nope, you didn't!! LoL!
Excellent advice!

For calorie BURN I got a heart rate monitor that counts calories, and I cross check it on a couple of sites but yes I have found that in some occasions livestrong can give you a bigger number.

I just know that if I eat 1500 calories and do a substanial workout (i usually do insanity/p90x/bob harper dvds) that I come out at about 1000 net calories for the day. I usually just check it if I'm doing stuff like treadmill or biking ect. When we bike we usually do 15-20 mph. My brother can go almost 30 but he is hardcore haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
27 miles on a bike BB??
you are a workout fiend in disguise.
Oh yeah! But like I said I would die without compression pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBobGuptaMarley View Post
Bwahaha no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Along with what you eat when you eat it is something as many know I am a believer in. Carb cycling is also important. Below are a couple of low carb diets, they are quite simple and bland but are a good example of macronutrient break downs and nutrient timing. These are low carb and following similar guidelines are excellent for fat loss but because they are very low carb one should incorporate a cheat meal that includes higher carbs once a week.
VERY NICE!
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #35
25thanniversary

Drives: 92 Camaro Convt RS,2011 Camaro RS
I'm in I am going to try and lose all the 15 pounds I gained from the holiday's. Today will start the program Insanity. In all I want to try to lose 20 pounds with in 2 months maybe more if it's possible.

TEAM LLT

1992 Camaro Rs Convertible
2011 Camaro 1lt Rs
25thanniversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #36
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25thanniversary View Post
I'm in I am going to try and lose all the 15 pounds I gained from the holiday's. Today will start the program Insanity. In all I want to try to lose 20 pounds with in 2 months maybe more if it's possible.
Awesome! Word of caution if you have not done Insanity in the past, it is a great workout but make sure you stay close to the diet plan calorie wise other wise you will burn out fast. And take what he says about form seriously, it very high intensity and you run the risk for injury.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #37
25thanniversary

Quote:
Awesome! Word of caution if you have not done Insanity in the past, it is a great workout but make sure you stay close to the diet plan calorie wise other wise you will burn out fast. And take what he says about form seriously, it very high intensity and you run the risk for injury.
Thanks, Yea i started this program last year and lost almost 20 pounds it's a killer.

TEAM LLT

2011 Camaro 1lt Rs
Old 01-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #38
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25thanniversary View Post
Thanks, Yea i started this program last year and lost almost 20 pounds it's a killer.
Awesome!! If I switch from that to P90x and then come back my calves are always killllling me the next day, I'm starting a hybrid of the two today with my fiance and I'm dreading being sore haaha.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #39
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Happy New Year Badge Bunny. My resolution didn't include weight loss even though I could drop a few pounds. I have a lot to do for 2012 including getting my house ready to put on the weak market because at the beginning of 2013 I am moving out of Northern Cali and moving to Phoenix AZ. I was born and raised in the town I am in now so this will be an exciting journey. Good luck to you on your diet and a great new year.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #40
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
Happy New Year Badge Bunny. My resolution didn't include weight loss even though I could drop a few pounds. I have a lot to do for 2012 including getting my house ready to put on the weak market because at the beginning of 2013 I am moving out of Northern Cali and moving to Phoenix AZ. I was born and raised in the town I am in now so this will be an exciting journey. Good luck to you on your diet and a great new year.
Thank you! And I hope your move is swift and painless!
Old 01-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #41
Bonnie
Bonfyre

Drives: C6, 2005 Corvette
Thought of the Day: TODAY is the first Monday of the New Year! If Fitness is in your list of New Year Resolutions - let's get to it! Just remember - don't expect results THIS week! Give it at least three weeks of CONSISTANT effort before taking a peek at your progress!! It took a LOT of playing to get to the state you are in now - it's gonna take a LOT of paying to make a change! So let's buckle down and GO! Let's DO this!!!

Thought I'd share my meals for the month:

Meal 1

½ cup (cooked Measurement) Cream of Wheat w/1 tbl of flax oil

1/3 banana

4 egg whites

Meal 2

4 oz tilapia

4 oz sweet potato

12 asparagus spears

3 prunes

Meal 3

4 oz chicken breast

1/3 cup brown rice

1/3 apple

Meal 4

4 oz white Cod or 6 jumbo shrimp

8 whole wheat pasta penne noodles

1 tsp no fat red sauce

1 tsp olive oil

Meal 5

2 cups romaine lettuce

3 oz flank steak

1 tbl balsamic vinegar & 1 tsp olive oil

1/3 cup shaved carrots

Meal 6

2 oz 90% lean ground beef

2 oz salmon

1 tsp flax oil

I slice whole wheat bread

Now off to the gym after a 40 min. run! I'll log my workouts tonight!
Old 01-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #42
25thanniversary

Quote:
Awesome!! If I switch from that to P90x and then come back my calves are always killllling me the next day, I'm starting a hybrid of the two today with my fiance and I'm dreading being sore haaha.
I will also be starting P90X but that's until next month I want to do the 1st month of cardio.

TEAM LLT

2011 Camaro 1lt Rs