#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-20-2024, 06:56 PM   #85
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenmore View Post
I have a 2017 with 16k miles and yes its the original. Pressure is still good on mine. I am at 28-30 warm idle and 38-40 driving. Which from what I read is pretty normal.
My 2017 has around 10,000 more miles than yours and the oil pressure is about the same as yours. Original oil pump also.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:36 AM   #86
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Dealership Called me a bit ago.
They said that they replaced the sending unit and it doesnt have any oil pressure.
Apparently they have been running the engine.
They guy said he could pull the pan on it, but that the oil is probably full of metal.
I asked him if they bothered to look up any of the technical service bulletins about these cars concerning oil pressure and he said he was unaware of what was done.

I called GM and got a case number, but it appears i'm about to get screwed.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 06:42 PM   #87
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
Dealership Called me a bit ago.
They said that they replaced the sending unit and it doesnt have any oil pressure.
Apparently they have been running the engine.
They guy said he could pull the pan on it, but that the oil is probably full of metal.
I asked him if they bothered to look up any of the technical service bulletins about these cars concerning oil pressure and he said he was unaware of what was done.

I called GM and got a case number, but it appears i'm about to get screwed.
I'm so sorry to read this. Wow, can't believe they ran it without pressure. There are all kind of TSB's about this. Why would they even think sending unit? What dealership is it?
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 03:22 PM   #88
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

I just got off the phone with Chevy customer service. I have not heard from the dealership. Chevy says the dealership told them the engine needs replaced. Chevy said they will not buy the car back but will pay 30% of it, so it looks like I have a near new car with no engine.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
Old 03-08-2024, 03:33 PM   #89
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Quote:
I just got off the phone with Chevy customer service. I have not heard from the dealership. Chevy says the dealership told them the engine needs replaced. Chevy said they will not buy the car back but will pay 30% of it, so it looks like I have a near new car with no engine.
So GM is offering to pay 30% of the repair and you foot the balance? That's messed up if that's the case. The dealer that ran it with no oil pressure should be offering you some assistance. Or are they washing their hands of it?
Old 03-08-2024, 03:45 PM   #90
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
So GM is offering to pay 30% of the repair and you foot the balance? That's messed up if that's the case. The dealer that ran it with no oil pressure should be offering you some assistance. Or are they washing their hands of it?
I have to go down there still but it figures I would get the hose.
I dont have 20k laying around to fix this car.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
Old 03-09-2024, 08:55 AM   #91
george
ZL1 Driver

Quote:
I have to go down there still but it figures I would get the hose.
I dont have 20k laying around to fix this car.
OMG, I'm so sorry. I think I would call your state attorney general and let them know what is going on. This is a total dealer caused problem. Your car is under warranty and the Chevrolet representative (the dealer) is at fault. GM has to standby the product because their legal representative for for repairs damaged it. If my engine blows, I'm going to transport it to a dealer like Hendricks and will wait to make sure they don't try to start it with low oil pressure. You can't just go out and order a new one.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:04 AM   #92
Fenmore

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
OMG, I'm so sorry. I think I would call your state attorney general and let them know what is going on. This is a total dealer caused problem. Your car is under warranty and the Chevrolet representative (the dealer) is at fault. GM has to standby the product because their legal representative for for repairs damaged it. If my engine blows, I'm going to transport it to a dealer like Hendricks and will wait to make sure they don't try to start it with low oil pressure. You can't just go out and order a new one.
I don't believe his engine is under warranty now. But the first time when he took it in for low pressure it was and they said nothing was wrong it was. It has been clearly documented that those low pressure numbers are the beginning of the failure on the oil pump. Even I know that I just started following the ZL1 2 months ago.
Then when it did fail, the dealer ran the motor and caused even more problems (potential loss of the motor).
I would start by escalating the case with GM based on the original failure of them to replace the oil pump. The issue with the dealer is completely separate but very valid.
Unfortunately you will probably have to lawyer up which will probably cost you as much as an engine unless you get someone you know to handle it or you try to do it yourself. There isn't a ton of damage to go after for a lawyer to handle it on a contingency.
IMO, you get the 30% from GM and get the dealer to rebuild the motor on their dime if they ruined it. They will probably claim you ran the motor with no pressure. Hard to prove either way so the most reasonable solution might be you buying a motor from a wrecked ZL1 (I just saw one on ZL1 nation on FB) having GM cover 30% of the cost of a NEW motor and have the dealer install for free. You pay for the motor.
Unfortunately the legal system is whacked. Gonna cost you minimum 10k in lawyer fees.
Fenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 10:27 AM   #93
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenmore View Post
I don't believe his engine is under warranty now. But the first time when he took it in for low pressure it was and they said nothing was wrong it was. It has been clearly documented that those low pressure numbers are the beginning of the failure on the oil pump. Even I know that I just started following the ZL1 2 months ago.
Then when it did fail, the dealer ran the motor and caused even more problems (potential loss of the motor).
I would start by escalating the case with GM based on the original failure of them to replace the oil pump. The issue with the dealer is completely separate but very valid.
Unfortunately you will probably have to lawyer up which will probably cost you as much as an engine unless you get someone you know to handle it or you try to do it yourself. There isn't a ton of damage to go after for a lawyer to handle it on a contingency.
IMO, you get the 30% from GM and get the dealer to rebuild the motor on their dime if they ruined it. They will probably claim you ran the motor with no pressure. Hard to prove either way so the most reasonable solution might be you buying a motor from a wrecked ZL1 (I just saw one on ZL1 nation on FB) having GM cover 30% of the cost of a NEW motor and have the dealer install for free. You pay for the motor.
Unfortunately the legal system is whacked. Gonna cost you minimum 10k in lawyer fees.
The motorsports guy down the street from me said the ECU has event records that are stored and it documents every start, stop and error.
Probably how GM knows when a vehicle is tuned or if you dont change your oil.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
Old 03-09-2024, 10:39 AM   #94
george
ZL1 Driver

Quote:
The motorsports guy down the street from me said the ECU has event records that are stored and it documents every start, stop and error.
Probably how GM knows when a vehicle is tuned or if you dont change your oil.
They must know then that the oil pressure has been running at 20psi and they did nothing about it. The TSB regarding oil pressure drop is there.

Last edited by george; 03-10-2024 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2024, 11:29 AM   #95
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
They must now then that the oil pressure has been running at 20psi and they did nothing about it. The TSB regarding oil pressure drop is there.
Which is exactly the issue here.

Based on thier own internal documentation it was clear there was an issue and that this specific vehicle was affected but the dealership and chevrolet field technician pushed the car out the door.

Vehicle warranties are intended to cover manufacturer defects that would normally become prevalent during the first several years of use.
This car is barely driven and if it were driven regularly would have lost oil pressure within 5 months of the original visit (assuming 10k miles of use per year).

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
Old 03-09-2024, 04:31 PM   #96
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Just keep busting balls with the proof to back it up.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 08:53 AM   #97
Fenmore

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
Just keep busting balls with the proof to back it up.
Yep, the squeaky wheel gets the grease
Fenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 10:32 AM   #98
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Pump vanes grenaded.
Bearings look ok, but there isnt enough metal to account for all the missing vanes.
I suspect they started breaking down when the oil pressure dropped in half and then finally gave out.

Cam lobes have some scoring, lifters are probably junk.
A main bearing was pulled, it looked good.
A rod bearing was pulled, it looked "ok".
Attached Images

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock