Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-22-2020, 02:23 PM   #1
Reddcamaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS /Redline
6th Gen Camaro bypassing the stock NPP with aftermarket non NPP exhaust

I have a 2018 camaro SS- Ive run it the last 2 1/2 years in Sport mode constantly. I never move it between the different modes, i just don't. Im upgrading my exhaust to the Borla Atak... either cat back / or axle back...(still pondering)...My QUESTION to you all is this. I have the stock exhaust WITH NPP, Do I really need to get the Borla ATAK #11925 ( with NPP) or can I just get the non NPP version, tuck away the NPP's on the car and pull the dang fuse? Its like a $500 diff between them, and if im running them open all the time anyway? AND will it throw a CEL code?

@Borla - please chime in here as well
Reddcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:34 PM   #2
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Yes, you can just get the non npp and hide the wires.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:38 PM   #3
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Yeah....I think a lot of people get the NPP, and then realize it's not all that it's cracked up to be. I got the AWE system without NPP. AWE didn't have the NPP option, but same idea.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:51 AM   #4
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
As far as I know even running it in sport mode doesn't mean the valves are always open. They still open and close depending on rpm. You don't have to buy the npp equipped borla. I've held off because I want the capability to close the valves but it's so damn expensive for a cat back or even axle back.
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:59 AM   #5
Tricksta

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28pat View Post
As far as I know even running it in sport mode doesn't mean the valves are always open. They still open and close depending on rpm. You don't have to buy the npp equipped borla. I've held off because I want the capability to close the valves but it's so damn expensive for a cat back or even axle back.
The valves are never always open without a fuse pull.

You do not need NPP, you will not get any CEL either, just hide the wiring and pull the fuse.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:24 AM   #6
keystonemedical

Drives: 2019 ZL1 / LE , 2014 CTS V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddcamaro View Post
I have a 2018 camaro SS- Ive run it the last 2 1/2 years in Sport mode constantly. I never move it between the different modes, i just don't. Im upgrading my exhaust to the Borla Atak... either cat back / or axle back...(still pondering)...My QUESTION to you all is this. I have the stock exhaust WITH NPP, Do I really need to get the Borla ATAK #11925 ( with NPP) or can I just get the non NPP version, tuck away the NPP's on the car and pull the dang fuse? Its like a $500 diff between them, and if im running them open all the time anyway? AND will it throw a CEL code?

Ill be by passing the NPP myself to go with a AWE Track catback in the next few weeks, once the weather gets nicer. I never have it off track mode when I drive, and I also have the fuse pulled as well. So, I couldnt see the point in spending the extra money to have the NPP options on the aftermarket exhaust. Yeah, it does suck that Im disabling a feature that the car came with but, I like it loud all the time.
keystonemedical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:34 AM   #7
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
The main reason to get NPP is to have the ABILITY to be smooth and quiet for the neighbors and loud (relatively) for fun.....

As an overall system it works pretty well. Many people want a different sound....thats what the aftermarket is for.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #8
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by keystonemedical View Post
Ill be by passing the NPP myself to go with a AWE Track catback in the next few weeks, once the weather gets nicer. I never have it off track mode when I drive, and I also have the fuse pulled as well. So, I couldnt see the point in spending the extra money to have the NPP options on the aftermarket exhaust. Yeah, it does suck that Im disabling a feature that the car came with but, I like it loud all the time.
I hope you like it loud. The AWE track edition is loud. I have the touring Edition and enjoy it
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:18 AM   #9
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
The ATTAK is LAF.
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:22 PM   #10
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
I for one love the NPP ability. It's nice to have it quiet on road trips then loud for around town to scare the women and children.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:23 PM   #11
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddcamaro View Post

That's pretty much what I've done for my Camaro and my Z06. Installed Borla s-type axle-backs without the NPP option on both vehicles. Filled the vehicles' NPP connector housing pin openings with dielectric grease, then taped securely, then routed the wires out of the way and wire-tied in place. Also, I did not bother to remove the fuse that controls the NPP actuators.

No issues at all, no MILs, no CELs, no codes.

I have not missed the option to control either vehicle's exhaust sound level. Granted the Borla s-type are not that loud compared to the ATAK, but I think the s-type sound better than the stock NPP exhaust.
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:42 PM   #12
BlackKnight2SS18
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 2SS Redline
If you don’t mind driving around with OEM parts zipped tie to the chassis waiting to come loose and break... go for it. I think of less ghetto-fied things to do to my ride.
BlackKnight2SS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:13 PM   #13
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight2SS18 View Post
If you don’t mind driving around with OEM parts zipped tie to the chassis waiting to come loose and break... go for it. I think of less ghetto-fied things to do to my ride.
On one hand I agree, I don’t like exposed or loose connectors either. And there is the loss of functionality you paid for which is programmed into the car.

On the other hand, the connector and wires are pretty tiny. If proper car is taken IE dielectric grease / sealing off the end, tucking up neatly and tying off, they’ll never move / cause an issue.

If you get the sound you want, one way or the other, it’s all good.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:37 PM   #14
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
On one hand I agree, I don’t like exposed or loose connectors either. And there is the loss of functionality you paid for which is programmed into the car.

On the other hand, the connector and wires are pretty tiny. If proper car is taken IE dielectric grease / sealing off the end, tucking up neatly and tying off, they’ll never move / cause an issue.

If you get the sound you want, one way or the other, it’s all good.
Precisely. Dual mode is a great feature, just not a feature I am interested in using.

And this really is not much different than any other modification we do to our cars.

With a little work, I can go back to a dual mode exhaust system at anytime.
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote