BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-27-2018, 12:31 PM   #15
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
good luck with your choice, sounds fun.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:41 PM   #16
hms2488485

Drives: '17 Camaro SS 1LE
It’s way easier for me to reply to everyone rather than a specific post. I am looking into doing Legends cars at Charlotte Motor Speedway and in the surrounding area. Money is the issue where I can’t keep a 1LE and a truck. Someone mentioned dedication and I’m all for dedicating myself to that. Also, I do have some sponsorship opportunities and have looked into buying used Legends cars rather than new ones. Also, the US Legends headquarters is right near the speedway and they offer a driving school which I will be doing before I make any rash decisions. The purpose of thought in buying more than 1 car would just to have one as a backup or for parts as well
hms2488485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:54 PM   #17
Ventura 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Before moving to SOCAL many years ago (1990's) in Greenville SC. Legend cars took off. Many of the local dirt track drivers went to Legend series.

Thus, is why legend cars are deep routed in Charollotte area. I have knew some merged and co-share the costs, equipment, sponsorships. Of course it was buy-in type setup but it was more enjoyable in the end. Not, sure what current drivers/owners are doing.
Ventura 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:47 PM   #18
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Okay, I am you. Except we are still in January.

Sold this..

For this..

With that said, I have made many,many, many sacrifices as well. Did you get that? LOL

I grew up racing karts and midgets with my dad until I was about 14. Couldnt afford it anymore and I was pretty good at baseball so attention changed and now 15 years later I am back in the driver seat again. Selling the 1LE was tough but frankly, not really... I am going to try and make this as short as possible because I could probably talk to you for an hour about this.

I am not rich. I do not have unlimited supplies of money, sponsors, crew, trailers and trucks. I have a 28 foot hauler, a diesel 2500 and some friends who know lefty loosey from righty-tighty. My dad is also still around so he is able to help with chassis setup. Whatever you think is in store for you, multiple it by 10. It is alot of work, I spend many weeks in the garage after a 10-12 hour work day for another 6 hours. Granted, it should get easier as time goes on but like someone else said above, buying the car is the easy part. Your problems just change as you move on. Its keeping it going and funding the operation that are the real challenges. Like I said I could probably talk with you at least an hour about what I have learned in the past 6-8 months. My LIFE has changed alot this year because of this so be prepared and realize what you are getting yourself into. This is something you really need to think hard about. It will consume you, and if you dont treat it right, IT WILL EAT YOU UP AND SPIT YOU OUT. Now, with that said, if you are looking to just go out there and put around in the back its a little different. However, I didnt flip my life upside down to go finish in the back. I got involved because I like to compete and I like to win. Simple as that. If you wanna talk to me further or have questions PM me your phone number. For obvious reasons, I am not on here much anymore. Good luck!
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:07 PM   #19
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Slick3: great note and congrats!
Now to a funny part: let me guess...you are not much on here no more cause youre in a garage sweating yer azz off working on your race car lol!
But seriously, your comments are great amd best of luck to your team!

Id add this: most new teams sweat their testicles off for a season or two and still run at the back of the pack. By and large. Unless one has tons of money AND talent.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:28 PM   #20
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Anvil Garage View Post
Racecars are a lot like boats. There's the constant sucking sound of money....
Too funny but true. When i average things out my boat is easily half a grand for each hour of fun

OP: if you read Motorheads and Slick3 posts real careful youre covered as far as what to expect. They both have covered the important points very well.

Ive done it just a wee bit myself, but more importantly know quite a few guys who do it in a committed fashion both in sport car series and circle track racing. And as much as Motorhead has alluded to it allow me to expand on one important subject:
If you have a GF, a wife, or a family, they must be on board and be equally passionate about the sport. This means with you at the track providing support and having bags of fun. If they wont find it a fun lifestyle, once a novelty of having a race car driver boyfriend/husband/dad wears off, youll be dealing with divorce lawyers

From what i have observed over the years circle track racing seems very family oriented. Including family and friends pitching in during events. Sport car series seem to be different: a bunch of lonely guys who are never home - maybe they prefer to be at a track or a garage lol!

Either way - and funding aside - to be competitive one has to be 100% committed and truly live it. Rich guys hire dedicated mechanics and crews, and they arrive and drive. Ive seen guys fork out $50Gs for a weekend of Ferrari Challenge with pit crews flown in from Italy. Now thats a life style! The rest toil by themselves and rely on family and friends.

Whatever you decide - and i have a feeling you are past that point...i wish you bags of fun!

Last edited by TrackClub; 08-28-2018 at 07:16 AM.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:16 PM   #21
Atlas24601

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Have you considered getting into something like shifter kart racing? That might fit into the trunk of the Camaro or you could have the Camaro modified to be able to tow a small trailer. Its also budget friendly compared to most forms of racing from what I understand.
Atlas24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:40 PM   #22
Franko07

Drives: 17 white 1LE
As someone that did alot with legends racing, I would tell you to find something cheaper to race, we were able to run a full on latemodel cheaper over the course of a weekend. It sounds cheap to race but it's not cheap to compete.
Franko07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:49 PM   #23
Franko07

Drives: 17 white 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hms2488485 View Post
It’s way easier for me to reply to everyone rather than a specific post. I am looking into doing Legends cars at Charlotte Motor Speedway and in the surrounding area. Money is the issue where I can’t keep a 1LE and a truck. Someone mentioned dedication and I’m all for dedicating myself to that. Also, I do have some sponsorship opportunities and have looked into buying used Legends cars rather than new ones. Also, the US Legends headquarters is right near the speedway and they offer a driving school which I will be doing before I make any rash decisions. The purpose of thought in buying more than 1 car would just to have one as a backup or for parts as well
To compete you will spend $30-50k and require some serious natural ability.

Our car owner was into this $200-300k per year to race top 10 at probably 80 percent of the race tracks and top 20 at the other 20%

Your home track happens to be one of the 20%

Go to one of the bigger teams out there and see about renting one for a race or two, set aside about a bit for crash repair. That will be the easiest way to see. They will put you in a car that is turn key track ready and support it for a race or two.
Franko07 is offline   Reply With Quote