#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-24-2023, 10:16 AM   #1
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Did or Do any ZL1s come with STB?

Talking about over the engine style.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 10:59 AM   #2
02blackss

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible
I have been investigating this for some time now... There is one thread on here somewhere that had pictures of a ZL1 with a factory brace installed. However, everyone says it wont clear the supercharger as I am sure you are aware...

Only the SS/LT1/RS/LT etc etc verts came with a brace.....

Everyone says you do not need one, but I would certainly put one on especially on vert's. Always brings up the question if you don't need one, why do all the other model verts' come with it..

Jason
02blackss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 11:14 AM   #3
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Not to my knowledge.

The struts are braced to the firewall.

Here is what Al had to say on the topic of strut bracing: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...70&postcount=1
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 11:29 AM   #4
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
No coupe or convertible came from the factory with a strut tower brace. Only the convertibles have an x brace underneath since it is a convertible with less structure than a coupe.

As stated, the coupe doesn't need one. If you want one then you can get it but it'll be more for a cosmetic look.

Unless someone takes their ZL1 out onto a road course and tests it with and without a tower brace. Then it's all stipulation on how much better the car will handle with one.

Last edited by Vigilante375; 08-25-2023 at 09:42 AM.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 12:58 PM   #5
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Here is the latest high perf version of this same ZL1 Chevy chassis platform with the LT4 installed, the CT5 Blackwing. They seem to think a beefy STB helps here despite probably other chassis stiffening changes on the CT5. Strut bars make a car stiffer, and on track stiffer is better.

I have the BMR STB, it fits perfectly and serves me well in heavy track duty.
Attached Images

SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 02:39 PM   #6
Owl3

Drives: 24 Sliverado 1500 ZR2, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Here is the latest high perf version of this same ZL1 Chevy chassis platform with the LT4 installed, the CT5 Blackwing. They seem to think a beefy STB helps here despite probably other chassis stiffening changes on the CT5. Strut bars make a car stiffer, and on track stiffer is better.

Does being a 4-door have something to do with it on the CT5?
Old 08-24-2023, 02:50 PM   #7
Vigilante375

Quote:

Technically not the same platform. It's the Gen2 of the Alpha chassis just like its on the new gen of magnaride. Plus a 4 door vs a 2 door. The ATS and CTS are on the same platform as the 6th gen Camaro and only the CTS V has strut braces the ATS V doesn't. I guess the smaller 4 door didn't need it since it's not as long?

Like I said, it's purely a cosmetic item at this point until someone takes a ZL1 (coupe) and tests it with and without a strut tower brace.

Yes, it does help stiffen up the car for handling but if GM really thought the ZL1 needed it, then why didn't they put it on the ZL1 1LE? They liked the balance the car had without the brace.
Old 08-24-2023, 02:56 PM   #8
VanillaGorrila

Drives: Chev Camaro 1le
my 2018 ss 1le came with a brace from factory... its a coupe of course
VanillaGorrila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 02:59 PM   #9
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Here they are... painted RED in my case, which makes them at least 25% stronger
Attached Images

ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 03:48 PM   #10
SFV1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Yes, it does help stiffen up the car for handling but if GM really thought the ZL1 needed it, then why didn't they put it on the ZL1 1LE? They liked the balance the car had without the brace.
The more likely answer to that is time and cost, I've worked for a few automotive OEMs and they will make bad decisions even on performance cars to save $50. I'm not talking about Porsche or Ferrari, I mean manufacturers of mass produced cars like Nissan or GM/Chevy.

To create an STB that fits the ZL1 and LT4 height they would need to redesign the existing standard Camaro STB and charge a little more or make less profit per car. They were already putting a ton of content and features into the ZL1 and 1LE at a very low price point to make the best bang for buck sports car car at the time, so I think they just decided it was great enough and they were done.
Old 08-24-2023, 07:36 PM   #11
SFV1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
Here they are... painted RED in my case, which makes them at least 25% stronger
Are you tracking this ZLE on road courses or is it more of a drag ZLE? Wondering due to choice of tire and other power mods which may result in heat. If you are running on road course, do the 345 R888R rub any even with wire harness moved?
Old 08-24-2023, 08:03 PM   #12
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Did or Do any ZL1s come with STB?
No and yes. No, all ZL1s, including the verts do not have a brace connecting the towers. But Yes they have all the same pair of 45-degree braces between strut towers and firewall.
Attached Images

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 09:52 AM   #13
Vigilante375

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaGorrila View Post
my 2018 ss 1le came with a brace from factory... its a coupe of course
A strut to strut brace?

Quote:
The more likely answer to that is time and cost, I've worked for a few automotive OEMs and they will make bad decisions even on performance cars to save $50. I'm not talking about Porsche or Ferrari, I mean manufacturers of mass produced cars like Nissan or GM/Chevy.

To create an STB that fits the ZL1 and LT4 height they would need to redesign the existing standard Camaro STB and charge a little more or make less profit per car. They were already putting a ton of content and features into the ZL1 and 1LE at a very low price point to make the best bang for buck sports car car at the time, so I think they just decided it was great enough and they were done.
I can see that but honestly, they could have just added a strut to strut of x thickness from the beginning and tuned the handling of the car from there or did that with the 1LE. BMR has had one for a while and it's a simple design but big manufacturers do spend ridiculous money for a $50 part.

But I believe that if GM said the chassis was to their liking after testing it, then why change it? The car handles well than more than 90% of the owners on here (to include myself) can ever imagine of pushing the car in any turn.
Old 08-25-2023, 11:28 AM   #14
Drnick

Drives: 22’ ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Talking about over the engine style.
I have the BMR strut brace on my 22’ ZL1
Fits fine no problem
Drnick is offline   Reply With Quote