Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-07-2022, 09:51 AM   #15
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Listen to Barefoot Dave and other voices of reason/experience here.

Rain is always the great equalizer. PTM/Wet and learn car control and how to nurse the throttle and find the edge of grip.
Old 06-07-2022, 02:05 PM   #16
Osbornsm

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Reporting results:
1. Swapped to my PS4S the night before, best idea ever. (instead of the Supercar 3)
2. Discover the rain line by looking for the non-shiny parts of the track. Avoid acceleration on any pavement patches, they're more slick than the regular blacktop (yes it's possible to have less)
3. Soaking wet, do not approach the throttle until dead straight. Expect wheelspin anywhere above 4k rpm.
4. I did not get to 100 mph until the afternoon. Some corners were slidy at 25 mph.
5. Tires DO NOT heat up and gain psi in the wet. Note to self.

Left it in track mode but everything on. Saved me from the grass several times.

Mods: Rotofab, Nick Williams 103mm TB, MSD IM, Kooks 1 7/8
Results: 470 hp / 447 tq
Osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 02:06 PM   #17
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osbornsm View Post
Reporting results:
1. Swapped to my PS4S the night before, best idea ever. (instead of the Supercar 3)
2. Discover the rain line by looking for the non-shiny parts of the track. Avoid acceleration on any pavement patches, they're more slick than the regular blacktop (yes it's possible to have less)
3. Soaking wet, do not approach the throttle until dead straight. Expect wheelspin anywhere above 4k rpm.
4. I did not get to 100 mph until the afternoon. Some corners were slidy at 25 mph.
5. Tires DO NOT heat up and gain psi in the wet. Note to self.

Left it in track mode but everything on. Saved me from the grass several times.
Glad to hear you went for it and didn't B*tch out!
Old 06-08-2022, 03:50 AM   #18
synolimit

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE A10
i just don't see the point. its not a great equalizer because you aren't running racing wet tires. a summer tire no matter the brand or type isn't going to let you push it. as the OP stated, couldn't get over 100mph till afternoon and 25mph in some corners were still slippery. thats not learning anything or learning to drive fast or well in the rain. thats just putzing around on a track in the rain. a summer tire will not hit the correct temps to allow you to see what you and the car can do. its just an unnecessary risk for no benefit. if its raining, 100% go out there with the correct tires and truly learn.
synolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:39 AM   #19
That1guy_tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
i just don't see the point. its not a great equalizer because you aren't running racing wet tires. a summer tire no matter the brand or type isn't going to let you push it. as the OP stated, couldn't get over 100mph till afternoon and 25mph in some corners were still slippery. thats not learning anything or learning to drive fast or well in the rain. thats just putzing around on a track in the rain. a summer tire will not hit the correct temps to allow you to see what you and the car can do. its just an unnecessary risk for no benefit. if its raining, 100% go out there with the correct tires and truly learn.
The whole point of driving in the rain is to learn to drive the car on the limit and what the car will do on the limit. Your speeds are highly diminished but that is because the limit comes way earlier when it is wet out. So contrary to your belief, YES you are learning something. you are learning car control at the limit.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:58 AM   #20
Barefoot Dave
Barefoot Dave

Drives: 2015 ZL1, 2014 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post
The whole point of driving in the rain is to learn to drive the car on the limit and what the car will do on the limit. Your speeds are highly diminished but that is because the limit comes way earlier when it is wet out. So contrary to your belief, YES you are learning something. you are learning car control at the limit.
I agree 100%. If you want to learn to be a better and faster driver in the dry then spend some time in the wet and/or on a skid pad. My students that drive in the rain/wet conditions noticeably improve their dry skills.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:05 AM   #21
Barefoot Dave
Barefoot Dave

Drives: 2015 ZL1, 2014 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
I tracked my 600rwhp ZL1 1LE at mid ohio in the rain on nearly bald goodyear 3r's. As long as you can control yourself and use the wet PTM mode, you will be fine.

I am not sure if you have used wet PTM mode before, but your car is going to sound like it is running like crap since it rips so much out of the engine to prevent spinning. Don't be alarmed if your exhaust tone sounds horrible while using this mode
Katech - Congrats on surviving Mid-Ohio in the wet - that can be scary even in an AWD car. If you are driving so hard the PTM mode is limiting your power you are driving too aggressively and the car is saving/limiting you and you are not learning or improving your skills as much as you could. I teach my students to identify when the PTM has engaged and determine if it is throttle, steering or a combination of the two that is limiting them. From there we back off the offending input until they can identify when they have too much speed, throttle or steering input. It happens at slower speeds in the wet but will vastly improve your abilities in the dry as well.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:09 AM   #22
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
It was his first time on the rain, you can certainly push any tire on it's limits. You don't have to be going fast to learn, you just have to be on the edge of those limits. You can certainly go past 100 MPH on these tires in the rain. I wasn't 100% pushing my tires and I was hitting close to 130MPH at VIR.

He also stated he didn't even run the summer tires, he was using the Michelin. You can always learn, just get out there. There certainly won't be anything to learn if you decide to sit out.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:23 AM   #23
Osbornsm

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
He also stated he didn't even run the summer tires, he was using the Michelin. You can always learn, just get out there. There certainly won't be anything to learn if you decide to sit out.

I ran Michelin PS4S.

That and i already paid the $300... so at least the afternoon had solid laps.

Mods: Rotofab, Nick Williams 103mm TB, MSD IM, Kooks 1 7/8
Results: 470 hp / 447 tq
Osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 12:38 PM   #24
synolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post
lol but its not at the limit, its no where close! pretend its a race bike, you will never be able to lean properly or brake or accelerate or hit even close to the appropriate apex in the wet on a slick or a street tire. if you want to learn all that, install a wet tire and see just how good you can get. yes you'll still be slower but you can actually ride the bike! its pointless to "learn" in the rain going into a corner where you cant even lean the bike over. what are you learning? haha
Old 06-08-2022, 12:41 PM   #25
That1guy_tim

Quote:
lol but its not at the limit, its no where close! pretend its a race bike, you will never be able to lean properly or brake or accelerate or hit even close to the appropriate apex in the wet on a slick or a street tire. if you want to learn all that, install a wet tire and see just how good you can get. yes you'll still be slower but you can actually ride the bike! its pointless to "learn" in the rain going into a corner where you cant even lean the bike over. what are you learning? haha
Sir, with all due respect. you have no idea wtf you are talking about.
Old 06-08-2022, 12:43 PM   #26
synolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
It was his first time on the rain, you can certainly push any tire on it's limits. You don't have to be going fast to learn, you just have to be on the edge of those limits. You can certainly go past 100 MPH on these tires in the rain. I wasn't 100% pushing my tires and I was hitting close to 130MPH at VIR.

agree, you dont have to be going fast to learn, but all you'll learn is where an instructor tells you that turns apex is. by yourself, first time out, not being able to push anything, isnt a learning experience. by bike analogy stands.

lol the Michelin is a summer tire. a very good ultra high performance summer tire. a hair behind the 3R.
Old 06-08-2022, 12:48 PM   #27
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
agree, you dont have to be going fast to learn, but all you'll learn is where an instructor tells you that turns apex is. by yourself, first time out, not being able to push anything, isnt a learning experience. by bike analogy stands.

lol the Michelin is a summer tire. a very good ultra high performance summer tire. a hair behind the 3R.
The PS4S is pretty great in wet conditions. The Supercar 3 and 3R are abysmal in wet conditions. I did a wet session on 3Rs and then swapped to PS4S for the next wet session. Night and day difference.

Good move, OP, for swapping to the PS4S for the wet runs.

Definitely lots to learn in the wet, just need to respect the conditions.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:28 PM   #28
That1guy_tim

Quote:

A hair behind the 3R? The 3R is leaps and bounds ahead of the ps4s in terms of dry performance and grip. Not even in the same class.