Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 02-19-2022, 04:50 PM   #1
Drateryako

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Bad Catalytic Converter Question

So i just recently bought a 2018 Camaro SS. The previous owner had LT headers and an aftermarket exhaust put on. There were no cats underneath at all and I live in an area with emissions testing so I figured I would get some put on, also wanted to get rid of some of the rasp.

Had a shop install high flow cats and not even a month later I could hear rattling inside the exhaust. Had it brought to my dealer and they confirmed that the right side cat was breaking up inside.

I'm going to the exhaust shop on monday to get it replaced since it is warrantied, what I want to figure out is when they get the cat cut out if it will be obvious what exactly caused it to go bad.

I don't know if I just got unlucky and got a defective cat or if its something else.

I'm pretty positive the previous owner had the vehicle tuned. Could that tune be a reason that the cat went bad so fast?

The only other reason I can think of is I hit a speed bump really hard at night about a week prior to hearing the noise, it basically had no paint on it and didn't see it until I was too close to slow down, maybe the speed and force on impact messed up the cat?

I know I threw a lot of random information out there, but like I said with the 3 reasons I gave is there anyway to tell which one it might be once they get the old cat cut out?

Thanks
Drateryako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 05:09 PM   #2
Purplt1

Drives: 2020 ss
Could have been the speed bump or just a defective cat or low quality cat. Not a tune issue

Last edited by Purplt1; 02-26-2022 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Adding info
Purplt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 09:31 PM   #3
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Most aftermarket cats aren't that great and I could see them failing pretty easily.

What I am wondering is though where did you buy the car at? If you bought the car from a dealer, especially where there is emissions testing, that is a big deal and I think in most states its illegal for them to sell you a car with no cats.

Unfortunately now you can't get cats, especially aftermarket ones, you can get the cheap "non-epa" ones which don't have near the metals and don't clean the exhaust as much.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote