Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-18-2021, 04:19 PM   #1
Bumbl3Bee

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Micky mouse ears on brakes?

Im getting ready to replace the pads and rotors on my 2014 ss, everywhere I look I see front pads without the little Mickey Mouse ears which are what I can only assume are stabilizers. The only pads I found that come with the “ears” are ac delco.

1. What the hell purpose do those things serve? Will I be dealing with excessive brake noise without them?

2. What’s the opinion on the Powerstop Z76 kit? I’ve heard the brakes can be noisy going over bumps..

Thanks for your help!
Bumbl3Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:33 PM   #2
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I’m pretty sure they reduce vibration and many people have cut them off and they worked fine.

Brakes should not make noise over bumps if they do the pads are loose in the caliper bracket.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:24 PM   #3
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
As mentioned they reduce vibration and noise. Commonly known as roller skates. Many people do not put them back on when it’s time for new pads.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:55 AM   #4
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
When I went brake shopping, I found lots of brakes that showed pictures without the ears on the pads. 80% of them actually did come with the ears.

I ended up settling on some Wearever Gold brake pads for daily driving. (They have the ears, so nice and quiet) Great pad for the price, but I will NOT take them on the track. I have my super aggressive Hawks for that.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote