Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 06-16-2022, 11:20 PM   #85
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Also, AFAIK the ZLE doesn't have ice mode in it's ABS cals at all, but idk for sure. If it's an autox car you can't get the rear diff tune on a ZLE unfortunately. Would be nice if they got rid of ice mode while the rear diff tune is active on the SLE, that seems like a good solution that wouldn't compromise on-road safety. It's never been an issue on my '18 SLE, I run square Falken 660s and stock brake pads.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:02 PM   #86
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
Yeah dunno, I got no other way to explain it. I've had the exact same feeling before in turn 3. Both turn 11 and turn 3 are the only places on the track where I start hitting the brakes with steering input on the wheel. All the other corners at slower speeds while on the brakes, begin with braking in a straight line for a good amount of time. Could be something else but I don't know what it would be. It's something i'll keep in the back of my mind. I've been to VIR now 7 times and I've only felt it twice, one of those times going off track. So it's certainly not something very common.
My experience is the same as yours, happens very infrequently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=70U6Q8wtAjg

I wish I could remember what the pedal felt like, I don't recall it going to the floor, I think I would have remembered that... all I remember for sure is the car started stopping normal then stopped stopping like normal part way into braking and I thought I was going to crash for sure

- I'm definitely not getting any wheel spin before braking since I'm going 177km/h
- The tires are warmed up enough to have good grip, they are not cold like at the start of the 1st session or after lunch break...
- And the pavement at the track I go to is near perfect, seriously near perfect
- It doesn't seem to be repeatable... I never know when it's going to happen it's so rare but happens at least once within the first 3 or 4 sessions
- The Castrol SRF brake fluid looks burnt when it comes out and the brakes are bled

- Girodisc rotors
- CT5V brake duct air deflectors
- Titanium shims
- Vented pistons

- I do a cool down lap
- I drive around in the parking lot for a minute or so
- Then after I park it I use fans to cool the rotors/calipers between each session

But...

- I have SC3R tires
- Hawk DCT 60/70 pads
Old 08-10-2022, 03:29 PM   #87
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Also, AFAIK the ZLE doesn't have ice mode in it's ABS cals at all, but idk for sure. If it's an autox car you can't get the rear diff tune on a ZLE unfortunately. Would be nice if they got rid of ice mode while the rear diff tune is active on the SLE, that seems like a good solution that wouldn't compromise on-road safety. It's never been an issue on my '18 SLE, I run square Falken 660s and stock brake pads.
My luck ran out as the car got faster and my driving improved. I installed a '19 EBCM and went to a staggered 305 and 315/30/19 setup.

EBCM must be from a donor car with identical major options as your car... trans, suspension, exhaust... all must be the same.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:06 PM   #88
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I looked at your video. It didn't look like you had very much steering dialed in when you went to the brakes, but you did dial in quite a lot of brake considering you were just starting the turn into the apex and attempting to dial in more steering.

Seems like if you really needed to burn off that much speed, you would normally want to be doing it sooner before corner entry so that you are only trailing the brakes into the apex (not 3 red bars as you were attempting). Perhaps your tires have enough traction to brake that aggressively at corner entry yet keep the back end behind you, but I'd bet the ABS wasn't programmed with those performance parameters in mind.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:43 PM   #89
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
My luck ran out as the car got faster and my driving improved. I installed a '19 EBCM and went to a staggered 305 and 315/30/19 setup.

EBCM must be from a donor car with identical major options as your car... trans, suspension, exhaust... all must be the same.
I see, that’s good to know…

In terms of it having the same major options, are there any other ones I should be aware of besides the three you mentioned? So in other words a 2019 plus ZL1 with an auto trans since I don’t think there are any other major options

And you are sure these cannot be bought brand new?

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 08-10-2022 at 09:04 PM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:16 PM   #90
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
I see, that’s good to know…

In terms of it having the same major options, are there any other ones I should be aware of besides the three you mentioned? So in other words a 2019 plus ZL1 with an auto trans since I don’t think there are any other major options
Yeah, I think so. This one might work...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29497056700...3ABFBMyJTAp9Fg
Old 08-10-2022, 09:05 PM   #91
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Yeah, I think so. This one might work...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29497056700...3ABFBMyJTAp9Fg
Thanks I’ll take a look, And you are sure these cannot be bought brand new? Has to be used?
Old 08-10-2022, 09:22 PM   #92
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Thanks I’ll take a look, And you are sure these cannot be bought brand new? Has to be used?
More info in the link below...

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...&postcount=975

There is a small chance you could convince a dealer to order a EBCM for a '19+ ZL1 if you give them the VIN. I would guess it will be very expensive.

Now is an ideal time to trade for a ZLE though, you can order them at msrp while our '18 car's prices are extremely inflated. People are asking $65k for '18 ZLEs right now, lol. If I wasn't currently investing in developing new products for my own business I'd have a ZLE ordered already for sure. $75k isn't a casual purchase for me yet though, unfortunately...
Old 08-10-2022, 11:49 PM   #93
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
More info in the link below...

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...&postcount=975

There is a small chance you could convince a dealer to order a EBCM for a '19+ ZL1 if you give them the VIN. I would guess it will be very expensive.

Now is an ideal time to trade for a ZLE though, you can order them at msrp while our '18 car's prices are extremely inflated. People are asking $65k for '18 ZLEs right now, lol. If I wasn't currently investing in developing new products for my own business I'd have a ZLE ordered already for sure. $75k isn't a casual purchase for me yet though, unfortunately...
Yeah I have done a lot of upgrades to my car, too much to sell it at this point I think, besides the fact that I may not continue to track the car anyways given how much of a pain in the ass this is and all the other problems have been plus I think I’m near the best lap time I can get before going to slicks, I’ll go for the EBCM
Old 08-11-2022, 12:00 PM   #94
RoaringV8

Drives: 2017 HBM Camaro SS 1LE Camaro
Now that I'm reading through this thread I've experienced ICE mode intermittently as well on track (at a variety of different tracks). It is much more rare that it occurs when I'm in full race mode and stability control is off. With stability control on, understandably, it seems to trigger this issue more frequently than when it's off. I feel like I'm pretty consistent with brake pedal pressure, but I'm sure there are slight differences that can trigger ICE mode. At times it feels as if there is no rhyme or reason to it occurring even when stability control is turned off. Most recently, I noticed it occurring when I had some steering input while braking even though it was very slight. For the record it's happened with three different sets of pads that I've used (stock, PowerStop Track Day pads and ST43's).

It's definitely not a fun thing to experience.
RoaringV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 01:13 PM   #95
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringV8 View Post
Now that I'm reading through this thread I've experienced ICE mode intermittently as well on track (at a variety of different tracks). It is much more rare that it occurs when I'm in full race mode and stability control is off. With stability control on, understandably, it seems to trigger this issue more frequently than when it's off. I feel like I'm pretty consistent with brake pedal pressure, but I'm sure there are slight differences that can trigger ICE mode. At times it feels as if there is no rhyme or reason to it occurring even when stability control is turned off. Most recently, I noticed it occurring when I had some steering input while braking even though it was very slight. For the record it's happened with three different sets of pads that I've used (stock, PowerStop Track Day pads and ST43's).

Mine occurred both in Race Mode and with EVERYTHING turned off... yeah scary enough to make you want to quit depending on how much run off space the track has
Old 08-11-2022, 03:07 PM   #96
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringV8 View Post

Yeah. one time I experienced it braking just past the finish line, fast finish with curved exit... this was not a big deal but certainly wasn't fun.

Second time, the very next day, was braking from 75 to ~30 mph for a right hand corner with a curved braking zone, concrete on the left, exit lane to grid right past the corner. I plowed through a cone wall and stopped in between the corner and the exit lane. That ruined my race for sure, it was pretty scary. I can see why some folks change cars to avoid the issue if they can't figure out a good solution. In autox sometimes you do stuff that's more likely to trigger it too.

I've ran 2 events since then, after upgrading EBCM and going back to a staggered wheel/tire setup with no issues, but at a slower speed venue, the courses we run at PPIR can get past 80 mph and both times it was a result of speed + steering angle limits being exceeded.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:22 PM   #97
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I'm sure anything is possible. My experience doing 70 track days in the car for the past 5 years, most with 305 square, 3R tires and Hawk pads. I've never had this issue on track, thought I had it once but a brake bleed at the track fixed the issue.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:18 PM   #98
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Thanks for trying this out DaveC113! I will definitely be getting an updated EBCM for my SS 1LE soon.

It took over 2 years to happen but I now sometimes experience ice mode on stock tires and stock pads when there is a bump around the beginning of the braking zone, or somewhere in it. Specifically MSR Houston clockwise braking before turn 13 (The Launch), Harris Hill braking before turn 7 (Mustang), and at Barber braking before turn 9 if you use the curbing on the left.

I have only used 3Rs a few times (on ZLE wheels, with stock pads...not ideal) and got some ice mode in the same spot at MSRH plus in the braking zone right after the start/finish line before turn 16 & 15 (Sugar & Spice) at MSRH clockwise.

It is more likely to happen for me if I try to quickly transition from full throttle to heavy braking and more likely if I stab the brake pedal hard initially vs. a slightly more gradual ramp up but I couldn't find a way to reliably prevent ice mode from happening in those spots.

It has happened to me with traction/stability control fully off, in PTM Race, and when I was accidentally in track mode without any PTM with the assists fully on.

I also think I might have experienced ice mode at a wet autocross practice event a few times but that was quite a while ago and I don't think I had read up on the issue beforehand back then to be able to identify it easily like I can now.

Maybe I will upload a video showing ice mode vs. a non ice mode braking comparison in the same spot on track. The easiest way for me to tell from watching PDR video was that the red brake pedal graph would max out at about 3.5 out of 5 even though I was pushing the brake pedal as hard as I could, much harder than I normally would and it felt much harder to push than normal.

Last edited by cdrptrks; 08-11-2022 at 11:33 PM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote