Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

AWE Tuning

Old 01-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #15
turbojeep95

Drives: 17 Camaro lt, 22 Camaro LT1
The last 2 pieces for the throttle body upgrade have arrived or dried. Tmap tube turned out ok for just a quick spray job. Still trying to find a better solution for replicating chrome from a rattle can.

Coupling wasn't supposed to show up until Wednesday but was at my front door this evening. If the weather gets bad I can install it all in the nice warm hanger tomorrow after work.

turbojeep95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:51 PM   #16
turbojeep95

Long time since the last post. Did an oil change today and had the camera out to get some pics of the new ZZP downpipe. Also, you'll notice a magnet over the hole by the hood latch release. It's there on purpose because I found out the oil cap fits down there. lol

ZZP catless pipe was a pretty smooth install. Been running it for a few months now with the stock rear mufflers and it has a nice (but not too loud) tone. Performance wise, it revs all the way to 7k. Before the engine would start to peter out before 6k. The extra 1000 use-able rpm's got me a 4.9 0-60!

Had to make a bracket that wasn't included with my used down pipe. Just found a couple 90 degree brackets from the local hardware store that bolted together into a U-shape that worked perfect.

Next mod on the list is an electric cutout.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:00 PM   #17
turbojeep95

My electric cutout parts arrived today! I played with it a little bit and really excited to get it bolted up. I wanted to get the Granatelli cutout but they won't ship any out until the end of the month. So off to summit to piece one together. Started off with the summit 3" electric actuator and switch with a pypes stainless 3" Y-pipe. I also ordered a generic stainless turn-down to aim the exhaust away from the body. This little kit cost around $220 shipped.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:08 PM   #18
turbojeep95

Old 05-17-2018, 09:02 PM   #19
turbojeep95

Well, I don't have a welder so had to farm this project out to a local shop. They did a pretty nice job burning this pipe in. Had some other forum members assist me with some pics on were to mount the cutout. Here after the downpipe its 3" until after the transmission where it necks down to 2.5" and then y's out to the suitcase muffler. The only 2 places it can fit are in the straight run right off the downpipe or in the middle of the car were there is a 45 degree section of pipe before it narrows to the 2.5" section. I even contemplated returning the 3" kit for a 2.5" kit and try to fit it into the tunnel before the y-pipe but there is just no room for it.

Switch install was pretty straight forward. Found a flat piece of steel and bolted it underneath the dash by the OBD2 port. Then ran the wires into the center console were I tapped into the cigarette lighter for power and there is a nice ground to bolt to right under the cup holders. Then, the main cable for the cutout motor was run off the right side of the manual shifter assembly through a slit I made in the rubber boot. Tried to run it on the left side but then you run into problems with the shifter linkage being in the way.

The plug in my hand is the cigarette lighter power plug. Purple wire is hot with the "key" on.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:13 PM   #20
turbojeep95

This is a quick test fit to see if I had to index the cutout for clearance by the transmission. Its tight but works. Looks like its touching the connector but it has about 1/2" clearance.

Finally bolted together with the summit turndown to aim the exhaust away from the floor. Had to run to the parts store for some longer 10mm bolts to incorporate the thicker turndown bracket.

Initial impressions are that its not as loud as expected. Does have a nice rumble from idle to 2k. Power wise feels like the torque curve definitely shifted into the higher rpm range. Did a quick 0-60 pull and bogged the launch from 2.5k for a 5.3 second run. Should be able to get at or below a 5.0 with a harder launch.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:33 PM   #21
turbojeep95

Been trying to get ready for this racing season with a few more mods. One of the things most drag strips require is a mounted fire extinguisher. These are a lot cheaper than I thought they were! $12 at walmart for a B-C type extinguisher. I had a mount from an airplane set up at work in the free-stuff bin to work with as well.

To start I bought a piece of steel bar from Tractor Supply to bolt the bottle mount. Next I found out places to stick the thing were in short supply. However there is a nice bar right under the front of seat that'll work for this setup with just 2 adel clamps. Cut the bar to length and drill a couple holes and now we have something to work with.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:44 PM   #22
turbojeep95

Next, we need to mark up the holes with the mounting bracket and bolt it up and see how it fits. There's also a set of steel 1" spacers to hold the bottle out from the seat.

Quick shot of paint to prevent rust and pre-installation before putting it in the car.

The final bolt together was the hardest part. Dang adel clamps have a lot of spring tension on them and can't use a longer bolt because the seat motor is in the way. It's tight but fits really nice when done.

This should keep me legal! Tucks away just out from under the front drivers seat and you don't even know it's there until you need it.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #23
hitmix300
2016 loaded 2SS

Drives: Maverick X3 Turbo R
I like the fire extinguisher location. bravo!! when do you plan to turn the power up on the car?

thanks for the image of the wire color for the 12v plug. i'm hoping i can spot it under the dash rather than pulling up the whole center console. i need that wire to tap in my snow performance controller.

best wishes on your build. stay four wheels down!
hitmix300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:38 PM   #24
turbojeep95

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmix300 View Post
I like the fire extinguisher location. bravo!! when do you plan to turn the power up on the car?

thanks for the image of the wire color for the 12v plug. i'm hoping i can spot it under the dash rather than pulling up the whole center console. i need that wire to tap in my snow performance controller.

best wishes on your build. stay four wheels down!
Took me awhile of sifting through posts to find that dang wire. Impossible to locate under the dash too. Once you get to it un-do the wire loom and there's plenty to tap into. As for the tune, I ordered it 2 1/2 weeks ago. Not sure when its coming in but hope its before the flashlight drags next weekend. I'm tired of getting just barely beat by these v8's!
Old 06-07-2018, 09:08 PM   #25
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
What tune you going with? Love your build !

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:04 AM   #26
turbojeep95

Thanks! I ordered the ZZP tune. They say they're waiting on an interface (laptop) to come back and then it's my turn.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:03 PM   #27
turbojeep95

Well, wish I could post more pictures of the latest update but a tune isn't as "picturesque" as some of my other projects. lol. Took about 3 tries but the tuners at ZZP are happy with it. Said it's not super aggressive of a tune but should work out in terms of reliability. First Impressions are its more responsive from idle to about 3.5k. I've been doing some 0-60 pulls and have duplicated my 4.9 second run but can't seem to break it. I guess with the new tune I have to re-learn how to launch the car. Also, need to schedule a dyno session with Six Star Performance and see how the car responds on paper. It'll be on the same dyno as before so the results should be pretty accurate.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:28 PM   #28
turbojeep95

Been a long time since I blew money on the car. Just been enjoying it and using it for my daily transportation needs and its been running great with no issues. So after the tune I promised myself I wouldn't spend any more money modding the car and picked up a 94 Trans Am to curb my needs to constantly take things apart and tinker.

I stuck my summer bmw wheels on the T/A and put the winter kicks on the camaro. The fronts were still stock, low on tread, and needing replaced. I found walmart had another set of anteres 245/35/20's for $125 shipped! Spent about another $37 at walmart getting them mounted including a $10 tip to the guy doing the work. Felt really bad watching him struggle to remove the stock runflats and he did a really nice job. Even put blue painters tape over the rim to prevent scratches so nice job on his part.

You can see the fronts are slightly smaller than stock but unless you really look, can't tell the difference from a 40 to a 35 size tire.

Love these tires! For the price I can't complain and they do waaay better in the snow over the stock tires. Just for reference the rears are Antares Majoris M5 - 255/40R20's and the fronts are same brand and make 245/35/20's.