Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
cfabrizio

Drives: 2018 Silver ZL1
New Exhaust- Now CEL and codes

So I added a Borla X-pipe with secondary cat delete and Atak mufflers on my '17 2ss with A8 NPP exhaust. I threw a CEL about 20 min after install. Spoke to Borla and they said I needed to recalibrate the AFM valves by disconnecting the battery, letting it sit for an hour, reconnect everything, turn on ignition without starting and let sit for a few minutes. I went through all of that and was CEL/code free for about an hour.

Now I'm showing P12E8 (cylinder deactivation exhaust flow valve feedback circuit high duty cycle bank 1), P12F5 (cylinder deactivation exhaust flow valve feedback circuit high duty cycle bank 2), and P069E (fuel pump control module requested MIL illumination).

Obviously this is something screwed up with the AFM valves and motors- Has anyone else had this issue and how do I correct it? Did the motors get mounted wrong or did I screw up some wiring when installing?

Thanks for the help...cf
cfabrizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:36 PM   #2
aauno

Drives: Camaro - All Black Convertible
I have been told that with your mods (cat delete) a "tune" will be required.
aauno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:12 PM   #3
obarry13

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
First thing I would check is the welds in the car delete. I know if there is any leak it popped codes for alot of people.
obarry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:23 PM   #4
reeper

Drives: 2010 HD D/A, 2015 Z06, 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by aauno View Post
That should only be for the primary cats. Borla's x-pipe deletes the secondary cats. I'm interested to know what the issue is. I have the exact same setup on order. OP, please keep us posted.
OEM Blackout tail-lamps
OEM SEMA Grille
35% window tint
Black glow-tie
BMR Suspension (Pretty much everything)
ACS rear-deck spoiler
Rotofab CAI
Lolly-pop red rotors by Madison Powder Coating
reeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:24 PM   #5
reeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauno View Post
There are no welds. I believe the system simply bolts on behind the primary cats.
OEM Blackout tail-lamps
OEM SEMA Grille
35% window tint
Black glow-tie
ACS rear-deck spoiler
Rotofab CAI
Old 07-06-2017, 08:34 PM   #6
cfabrizio

Drives: 2018 Silver ZL1
It's a simple bolt on behind the primary cats, no welds. I know others who have done this similar exhaust without a tune and borla even said no tune is required.

I'll keep you all posted on what I find out. Still looking for a solution or what to trouble shoot.
cfabrizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
reeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfabrizio View Post
It's a simple bolt on behind the primary cats, no welds. I know others who have done this similar exhaust without a tune and borla even said no tune is required.

I'll keep you all posted on what I find out. Still looking for a solution or what to trouble shoot.
Thanks. I talked to Bola specifically about this before u ordered so I'm puzzled. They told me the same thing - no tune needed. Based on my experience with them though they'll make it right if they're in the wrong.
OEM Blackout tail-lamps
OEM SEMA Grille
35% window tint
Black glow-tie
ACS rear-deck spoiler
Rotofab CAI
Old 07-06-2017, 09:08 PM   #8
MAGAUSA

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
Yes there are no welds by the cats only when connecting to the stock muffler, which is way back from the cats. The borla mid pipe mates up like stock to the cats with the flange on one side and the clamp on the other. Why GM didn't do a flange on both sides I have no idea. The cats even sit differently, one is angled more than the other. Driver side flange, passenger clamp, requires repositioning the o2 sensor on the passenger side, why not flanges on both?

Sorry don't have anything on AFM valves.
MAGAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:12 PM   #9
timmy8784
Drippin' Wet Auto Detail

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

If it was installed correctly, then you should not be getting CEL's. I did a custom exhaust on mine and deleted the secondary cats, no CEL.

Do you have an exhaust leak anywhere?
timmy8784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:22 PM   #10
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
So I added a Borla X-pipe with secondary cat delete and Atak mufflers on my '17 2ss with A8 NPP exhaust. I threw a CEL about 20 min after install. Spoke to Borla and they said I needed to recalibrate the AFM valves by disconnecting the battery, letting it sit for an hour, reconnect everything, turn on ignition without starting and let sit for a few minutes. I went through all of that and was CEL/code free for about an hour.

Now I'm showing P12E8 (cylinder deactivation exhaust flow valve feedback circuit high duty cycle bank 1), P12F5 (cylinder deactivation exhaust flow valve feedback circuit high duty cycle bank 2), and P069E (fuel pump control module requested MIL illumination).

Obviously this is something screwed up with the AFM valves and motors- Has anyone else had this issue and how do I correct it? Did the motors get mounted wrong or did I screw up some wiring when installing?

Thanks for the help...cf

I had this problem with my Borla X pipe, same exact codes. I had gotten a first run set from Phastek and the AFM butterfly valves lacked holes in them which is what caused the problem. The valves should have a small hole that allows some exhaust through when they are closed. Borla warrantied their part and sent me a new x pipe section where the AFM valves had holes in them. Borla was supposed to have recalled all the first run x pipes from its distributors but not all of them listened and sent them back. They probably don't want me on here blasting this info to the public, but for how much the system costs they better make it right. I also had to have my NPP valves replaced since the first run design also rattled. I will say Borla gave me no issues about warranty claims and once I provided them with the proof of purchase they took care of me right away. This is the level of service I would expect from a leading manufacturer that is a bit pricey. I doubt the cheaper guys would be so willing to assist.

First thing I would do is pull off the x pipe and look for holes in the valves. If no holes then you found your problem and need to call Borla. If there are holes then it is possible that you over tightened your AFM valve motors to the exhaust. If you over tighten them then they will see a high resistance when trying to move and throw a code.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:28 PM   #11
NYISLESFAN

Drives: Summit White 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

Thanks for the help...cf

Currently having the same issue. Have you had any luck since you've posted this?
NYISLESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:29 PM   #12
NYISLESFAN

Drives: Summit White 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
I had this problem with my Borla X pipe, same exact codes. I had gotten a first run set from Phastek and the AFM butterfly valves lacked holes in them which is what caused the problem. The valves should have a small hole that allows some exhaust through when they are closed. Borla warrantied their part and sent me a new x pipe section where the AFM valves had holes in them. Borla was supposed to have recalled all the first run x pipes from its distributors but not all of them listened and sent them back. They probably don't want me on here blasting this info to the public, but for how much the system costs they better make it right. I also had to have my NPP valves replaced since the first run design also rattled. I will say Borla gave me no issues about warranty claims and once I provided them with the proof of purchase they took care of me right away. This is the level of service I would expect from a leading manufacturer that is a bit pricey. I doubt the cheaper guys would be so willing to assist.

First thing I would do is pull off the x pipe and look for holes in the valves. If no holes then you found your problem and need to call Borla. If there are holes then it is possible that you over tightened your AFM valve motors to the exhaust. If you over tighten them then they will see a high resistance when trying to move and throw a code.
I've tried all of this. Borla even said there was no way it could be an issue with their part because I just bought it this month. Any suggestions?
NYISLESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:45 AM   #13
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYISLESFAN View Post
I've tried all of this. Borla even said there was no way it could be an issue with their part because I just bought it this month. Any suggestions?
It doesn't matter what they say. I had just bought mine too.

Take off the X pipe and look for the holes.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:23 AM   #14
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
It doesn't matter what they say. I had just bought mine too.

Take off the X pipe and look for the holes.
I was going to suggest that. You should be able to shine a flashlight in there and see the valves and check if they have any holes. Should be a one inch hole in the middle.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote