Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Intake manifold acting similiar to oil catch can

Does anyone have any pics of the intake valves for an LS3 or L99, either showing or not showing carbon build up due to oil from the emissions system and not from leaky valve seals? I'm curious on how much of the oil in the intake actually makes it up into the runners and then down to the valves. The intake manifold must be acting similar to a catch can if it has oil in it. If the oil is just laying in the manifold, there should be no issues. So, is the majority of the oil vapor dropping out in the intake? Can the oil that is in the intake be sucked up into the runners at higher rpm's (when there is a higher air velocity)? Below is a picture I found, representing the intake maifold. The oil lays in the plenum, the common area for all the runners. It would need to be sucked up into each runner that cross's over to the head. Just something to think about. I plan on getting a catch can, easier to drain a can than clean the intake.
Attached Images

GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged

The oil you see pooled in the intake is from the large droplets pulled in, most is still in vapor form and is pulled right through the runners into the combustion chamber.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
SC2150, that was my original thoughts, vapor. I believe there is a good chance for the oil, in the bottom of the intake, to be drafted up on the sides of the runners at higher rpm's. I put my hand over the air intake to the carb on a 500cc single cyl atv engine at about 4k rpm and will not do it again, lots of pull. And that's only about 2/3 the displacement of a LS3 cylinder. I saw those pixs before, but wasn't sure what engine. Also, for those who don't know, the oil in the bottom of the intake doesn't just run down into the heads.
Sending you a pm
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote