Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Before and after
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2022, 10:28 PM   #30
SoCal Smith

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Black Wing deflectors will fit according to my contact working on the program. I have no proof outside of genuinely thrusting this person.
I appreciate your forwardness and I would also trust anyone I was thrusting on the regular.

Thanks for taking one for the team.
SoCal Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 02:08 AM   #31
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Z06 Vented Piston and Alpha Brake Deflector Test (Caliper Temp-Centric):
  • Waterford Hills (clear skies, full sun, 75 F)
Controls:
  • 2017 SS 1LE
  • J6M brake setup (370mm/340mm; track rotor shields; LF caliper=ZO6 pistons; RF caliper=stock pistons)
  • fresh Ferodo DS2500 pads
  • fresh Ferodo SF fluid
  • 19x10.5/19x11 Apex EC-7 wheels
  • 305/315 Falken RT660 tires
Variables:
  • SS Track Deflector
  • SS Stock/SS 1LE Deflector
  • CT5-V BW Deflector
Measurement Methods:
  • AP Racing Caliper Temp Stickers
  • IR Pyrometer (taken at two places on the caliper)

Preface:
My plan was to run an "A-B-C-A" type of test with the deflectors, but one of my session was black flagged due to an indecent on track. With that, I had to stick to a straight "A-B-C" test. In addition, I want to point out that I did not take rotor temperatures. This is in one part because I didn't have a way to refence to working temperature (like in using rotor temperature paint), another part I was personally more focused on/concerned about caliper temperatures and, lastly, I had enough going on between checking the caliper stickers, taking IR temps and swapping deflectors on a hot car between sessions... I also wanted to try and enjoy the day in general, too. Truth be, in hind-sight, I wish I would have taken IR readings of the rotors anyway.

Objective Results:
1.SS Track Deflector
(Caliper Temps)
  • LF 297 F
  • RF 323 F
  • LR 267 F
  • RR 269 F

2. SS Stock/SS 1LE Deflector
(Caliper Temps)
  • LF 321 F
  • RF 320 F
  • LR similar to prior
  • RR similar to prior

3. CT5-V BW Deflector
(Caliper Temps)
  • LF 299 F
  • RF 321 F
  • LR 266 F
  • RR 265 F

Deltas:
(Caliper Temps)

Vented Piston Deltas
(Compared LF-RF)
SS Track Deflector
  • -25 F
SS Stock/SS 1LE Deflector
  • 1 F
CT5-V BW Deflector
  • -21 F

Deflector Deltas
(Compared to #2)
SS Track Deflector
  • LF -24 F
  • LR +3 F
CT5-V BW Deflector
  • LF -22 F
  • LR +1 F

Subjective Results:
Between the SS Track Deflector and the CT5-V BW Deflector, brakes largely felt the same. The only performance difference I seemed to note is that I could, late in the session, and at the hardest braking situation from the highest speed, begin to get a very slight hint of brake fade with the SS Track Deflectors vs the BW Deflectors. There was never any sign of fade with the BW Deflectors. The SS Stock/SS 1LE Deflectors could render the very slight brake fade at each of the two hardest braking situations, consistently. This came about starting towards the middle of the session (about 20-minute session; approximately around full-speed lap 3). This fade was not enough to cause any significant lap time hinderance, as the fade was very slight and right at the end of application, just upon easing into release of the brakes.

Conclusion:
The Z06 vented pistons do produce a cooling benefit to the brake calipers, but it seems this benefit is largely reliant on the amount of airflow that is able to be directed to caliper. This is evident as there is seemingly no temperature reduction at the caliper with the SS Stock/SS 1LE deflector, but there is with, both, the SS Track and CT5-V BW Deflectors. To add, the track I tested at does not have significantly long or many straights (top speed didn't go beyond 110mph); so, running at tracks with longer straights or more straights may, and likely will, have an increased cooling effect to the calipers using the vented pistons.

The SS Track and CT5-V BW Deflectors do produce a cooling benefit to the brake calipers, seemingly equally in effect. These deflectors are more significantly directed to aid in rotor cooling, to which I did not directly measure. Subjectively, based on the back-to-back experience between the SS Track and CT5-V BW Deflectors, and having experience at this same track, in similar weather, with almost exactly the same car setup (OEM SC3 tires) and running similar lap times, I believe there is a, at least slight, rotor cooling advantage to the CT5-V BW Deflectors. The design of the CT5-V BW Deflectors clearly shows that a focused and very purposeful effort was put into its design over the SS Track Deflectors. An added benefit of the CT5-V BW Deflectors over the SS Track Deflectors, outside of track performance, is that they do not extend as low, below the car, and are less likely to catch on debris or road surfaces.

A few random pictures:
(Caliper pictures are from the end of the day)
Attached Images

Last edited by Mountain; 06-10-2022 at 02:25 AM.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 06:32 AM   #32
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Z06 Vented Piston and Alpha Brake Deflector Test (Caliper Temp-Centric):
  • Waterford Hills (clear skies, full sun, 75 F)
Controls:
  • 2017 SS 1LE
  • J6M brake setup (370mm/340mm; track rotor shields; LF caliper=ZO6 pistons; RF caliper=stock pistons)
  • fresh Ferodo DS2500 pads
  • fresh Ferodo SF fluid
  • 19x10.5/19x11 Apex EC-7 wheels
  • 305/315 Falken RT660 tires
Variables:
  • SS Track Deflector
  • SS Stock/SS 1LE Deflector
  • CT5-V BW Deflector
Measurement Methods:
  • AP Racing Caliper Temp Stickers
  • IR Pyrometer (taken at two places on the caliper)
THANK YOU MOUNTAIN! Thanks for taking the time to do this test and post your findings!
Old 06-10-2022, 11:34 AM   #33
Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy_tim View Post
THANK YOU MOUNTAIN! Thanks for taking the time to do this test and post your findings!
You're welcome.

I know it doesn't provide the complete, holistic perspective on brake cooling (rotor and caliper), but it's at least half the story (caliper cooling) and enough information to "read between the lines" and correlate to the second half (rotor cooling).

We'll see. Maybe I'll grab some rotor paint and do something focused on the rotors with just the deflectors. No promises.
Old 06-11-2022, 05:52 AM   #34
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Interesting results. Thanks for doing the test.
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:14 PM   #35
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Thanks so much for doing the test and taking the time to post the results.

My read on your data is similar to yours. Assuming that the calipers are a good enough indicator of pad and rotor temps, and with the Caveat that your test track didn't have long straits, it looks like the SS and CT5-V BW deflectors don't add a detectable cooling benefit to the SS 1LE unless you are using vented pistons. I compared your achieved temps (around 320 on OEM pistons) to the Ferodo pad temp graphs and noted that that particular temp is just slightly past where the SS 1LE OEM pads tend to start giving up a little friction vs their peak. Thus achieved temps with totally OEM setup (SS 1lE deflectors) yields an track temp that is just within optimal pad temp limits, which makes sense from an engineering stand point.

I had some hope that the CT5-V BW deflector would have added more cooling than the OEM 1LE deflector (it certainly looks more serious about directing air). As it presumably was designed for the BW brake and suspension geometry, perhaps it's not directing the air optimally for the SS 1LE?

I also noted the SS deflector doesn't seem to help either on a SS 1LE rig. Here, my guess would be that the air being scooped from under the car is interfering with the air coming in through the 1LE's dedicated brake venting (through the front facia) and effectively contributing no net increase in air flow to the rotors/calipers.

Might be nice to do a test at another track with a bit more/longer straights to confirm, but I'd think this track was perhaps more relevant to the question of brake cooling than a track with long straights. After all, if the straights are long, brake cooling with stock 1LE pads and deflector is not an issue.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 01:53 PM   #36
Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
Thanks so much for doing the test and taking the time to post the results.

My read on your data is similar to yours. Assuming that the calipers are a good enough indicator of pad and rotor temps, and with the Caveat that your test track didn't have long straits, it looks like the SS and CT5-V BW deflectors don't add a detectable cooling benefit to the SS 1LE unless you are using vented pistons. I compared your achieved temps (around 320 on OEM pistons) to the Ferodo pad temp graphs and noted that that particular temp is just slightly past where the SS 1LE OEM pads tend to start giving up a little friction vs their peak. Thus achieved temps with totally OEM setup (SS 1lE deflectors) yields an track temp that is just within optimal pad temp limits, which makes sense from an engineering stand point.

I had some hope that the CT5-V BW deflector would have added more cooling than the OEM 1LE deflector (it certainly looks more serious about directing air). As it presumably was designed for the BW brake and suspension geometry, perhaps it's not directing the air optimally for the SS 1LE?

I also noted the SS deflector doesn't seem to help either on a SS 1LE rig. Here, my guess would be that the air being scooped from under the car is interfering with the air coming in through the 1LE's dedicated brake venting (through the front facia) and effectively contributing no net increase in air flow to the rotors/calipers.

Might be nice to do a test at another track with a bit more/longer straights to confirm, but I'd think this track was perhaps more relevant to the question of brake cooling than a track with long straights. After all, if the straights are long, brake cooling with stock 1LE pads and deflector is not an issue.
I think you need to consider what I noted about rotor temperature vs caliper temperature. How and where the airflow is going. Looking at how any of these deflectors are mounted and their design, the goal of them seems to be in a reduction of rotor temperature over caliper temperature.

In your conclusion:
"...it looks like the SS and CT5-V BW deflectors don't add a detectable cooling benefit to the SS 1LE unless you are using vented pistons."

I think you should consider: with the stock SS/SS 1LE deflectors installed, they negated the potential effects of the vented pistons for my car and that track. This would suggest that there is a negative effect using the stock SS/SS 1LE deflectors over either of the other two.

Without knowing what the rotor temps were, there is no objective way to state whether the CT5-V BW deflector is better in cooling than the SS Track deflector, nor how much better either are over the stock SS/SS 1LE deflector. Deductive reasoning states, in the least, in general, you are at a disadvantage with the stock deflectors.

I think that the track I ran this test on probably wasn't the best to try and make indications for these deflectors, but it is the opportunity that I had to try. I can tell you, without a doubt, that changing nothing else on, both, the 2016 Camaro SS I had and with my SS 1LE, when I switched to the SS Track deflector, it made a noticeable difference braking capability, from the driver's seat, at a bigger track (Grattan).

P.S.
"I compared your achieved temps (around 320 on OEM pistons) to the Ferodo pad temp graphs and noted that that particular temp is just slightly past where the SS 1LE OEM pads tend to start giving up a little friction vs their peak."
Note "F" vs "C".
Old 06-14-2022, 09:37 PM   #37
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
I think you need to consider what I noted about rotor temperature vs caliper temperature. How and where the airflow is going. Looking at how any of these deflectors are mounted and their design, the goal of them seems to be in a reduction of rotor temperature over caliper temperature.

In your conclusion:
"...it looks like the SS and CT5-V BW deflectors don't add a detectable cooling benefit to the SS 1LE unless you are using vented pistons."

I think you should consider: with the stock SS/SS 1LE deflectors installed, they negated the potential effects of the vented pistons for my car and that track. This would suggest that there is a negative effect using the stock SS/SS 1LE deflectors over either of the other two.

Without knowing what the rotor temps were, there is no objective way to state whether the CT5-V BW deflector is better in cooling than the SS Track deflector, nor how much better either are over the stock SS/SS 1LE deflector. Deductive reasoning states, in the least, in general, you are at a disadvantage with the stock deflectors.

I think that the track I ran this test on probably wasn't the best to try and make indications for these deflectors, but it is the opportunity that I had to try. I can tell you, without a doubt, that changing nothing else on, both, the 2016 Camaro SS I had and with my SS 1LE, when I switched to the SS Track deflector, it made a noticeable difference braking capability, from the driver's seat, at a bigger track (Grattan).

P.S.
"I compared your achieved temps (around 320 on OEM pistons) to the Ferodo pad temp graphs and noted that that particular temp is just slightly past where the SS 1LE OEM pads tend to start giving up a little friction vs their peak."
Note "F" vs "C".
Good catch on the C vs F. My error. So the caliper temps you recorded were well within the normal intended operating temp seen in the Ferodo pad temps graph. I guess it might beg the question as to whether any additional cooling beyond stock SS 1LE setup is needed if you are running the car as totally OEM aside from brake fluid.

I looked at your data again and considered your point about stock deflector negating the benefit of the vented pistons. I can agree with you that the SS track and BW deflectors are clearly sending more air (than the 1LE stock deflector) to area around the pistons, thus leading to a 25 degree drop in caliper temp when you have vented pistons to be able to take advantage of that additional air flow. BUT I also see the data showing that on the right side front caliper with the OEM, non vented pistons, the extra air that SS track and BW deflectors must be providing doesn't seem help cool the caliper. From this I conclude they aren't helping the caliper get any cooler than stock 1LE deflector.

Interesting theory about the purpose of the air flow from the deflectors being mainly to cool the rotors. If that's true then I agree it would be great to see some data on rotor temps with the different deflectors. From your test, I guess we can at least say that if your front right rotor was running any cooler from the SS track or BW deflectors, the benefit clearly didn't make it's way to the caliper.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 10:28 AM   #38
DemonZL1

Drives: like a granny
I installed the front ducts on my ZL1 1LE - factory ones were tiny !!!!

Anderson composites coupon code : Demon
DemonZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 02:42 PM   #39
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have a source that actually has these in stock? I'd like to get a set before my next track day the end of this month.
Old 06-06-2023, 02:51 PM   #40
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...4433357?c=az0x

This is the one for the Camaro SS not the blackwing, but they are pretty much the same. I don't think one is going to really outperform the other by much.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 02:56 PM   #41
Roddrz

Drives: 2022 Camaro V6 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have a source that actually has these in stock? I'd like to get a set before my next track day the end of this month.
https://www.davisgmpartsstore.ca/oem...ector-85536980

Brake Cooling System
Control Arm Deflector Corvette CT5V Blackwing - GM - 85536981
Control Arm Deflector Corvette CT5V Blackwing - GM - 85536980
Rotor Shields Left - SS Track - GM -23385146
Rotor Shields Right - SS Track - GM -23385147
Roddrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 03:35 PM   #42
BoilerUP

Drives: Cadillac ATS-V
I ordered CT5VBW ducts from my local Chevy dealer.