Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-22-2020, 10:12 AM   #1
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Thoughts on the new Bronco, now available with Sasquatch/manual combo!

I've been thinking about saving up for a Bronco which gives plenty of time for me to save while the newness and first rush to the dealers (and subsequent dealer markups) to buy one after things cool off after it's initial release.

But this past weekend, after a lot of internet begging and petitions, Ford acquiesced to the public (more car companies should do this) and made the top line, big wheel and suspension Sasquatch package available with the 6+1 manual transmission (+1 being an extra low crawl gear below 1st).

They initially were only going to offer the manual transmission on lower trim levels. And for the last few months everyone has been banging the drum on them to offer it with the top of the line package. So now they are, and I'm officially saving for one!

Do I really need the big wheels and suspension? No, I live in Cleveland, Ohio. We don't have mountains or heavy duty off road trails. But we do get snow, and sometimes some really bad snow storms. It would actually make it fun to drive to work!
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:14 AM   #2
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Give me a Wrangler 392! Although I appreciate what Ford had done with the Bronco versus what GM did to the Blazer.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:16 AM   #3
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Give me a Wrangler 392! Although I appreciate what Ford had done with the Bronco versus what GM did to the Blazer.
Yeah that 392 Wrangler is gonna be killer, and I was thinking Wrangler all the way for a while until Ford brought out the new Bronco. Now the Wrangler just looks kinda boring.

GM dropped the ball with the Blazer name. Just slapped it on another boring unibody front wheel drive based grocery getter for soccer Moms.

GM is quickly becoming the American Toyota. Just boring, beige, white bread, white milk, vanilla appliances with no soul or fun. Corvette and Camaro are all that's left.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:10 PM   #4
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I'll just up front that I think it's great Ford decided to offer it on the Sasquatch package. Good stuff!

But part me feels that its likely that 90% of the people begging Ford for it aren't even buyers anyways. That's just the way it goes. Everyone wants a manual, but then they hardly sell. It will be real interesting in a few years to see what the manual take rate is on these guys. I expect the manual take rate to be higher at first since those will be more of your enthusiast buyers.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:29 PM   #5
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
But part me feels that its likely that 90% of the people begging Ford for it aren't even buyers anyways.
That seems to be how most manufacturers look at the people who clamor for manuals on the internet, yet as we know the take rate has dropped from like 10% 15 years ago to around 2-4% today.

But I would reply to that by advising the manufacturers to offer the manuals on trim levels and with drivetrains people DO want.

Mazda was always known for their manuals on the 6 but cut the manual to only with cloth seats and no moonroof. Then discontinued it all together because "nobody wanted them"

Honda used to offer the manual on every trim of the Accord. Then limited it to just the Sport. Now disconinued it, again, because nobody wanted it.

I talk to people who'd have loved a new Accord Touring with heated memory seats, moonroof, and all the technology WITH the top of the line engine AND a manual.

People end up being forced to buying an automatic to get the car that suits them and then the manufacturers tell everyone "see, no one wants a manual"

It's a vicious circle. Now that the Bronco is available in all trims with the manual I bet there will be more takers.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:40 PM   #6
snizzle
Recalled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post

People end up being forced to buying an automatic to get the car that suits them and then the manufacturers tell everyone "see, no one wants a manual"
I ran into this with the Colorado. MT option on the base 4cyl, not on the Z71 V6.

I came from a 2005 3.5 I5 w/an MT.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
Old 09-23-2020, 08:31 AM   #7
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
I think it's awesome Ford is offering the manual with the sasquatch trim level. How it actually sells could be another thing but I'm a big save the manuals proponent and am glad to see this.
If the Bronco sells in large numbers I wonder if GM will look at offering the Blazer as a body on frame, Wrangler/Bronco competitor. aka a real Blazer
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:04 AM   #8
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by detamble13 View Post
If the Bronco sells in large numbers I wonder if GM will look at offering the Blazer as a body on frame, Wrangler/Bronco competitor. aka a real Blazer
Not gonna happen. Maybe another name plate. Not the Blazer.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:22 AM   #9
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
So long as boring Mary is the CEO, the life will continue to be sucked out of GM. Except for the Corvette and whatever's left of the Camaro, there's nothing GM makes right now that really gets your heart pumping.

Just boring appliances, like Toyota.

There's really no other nameplate to properly put a BOF, rear drive, solid axle off roading machine to except for the Blazer.

Tahoes are too big and soft to be serious off roading machines even though the older ones slightly do share some components of the old Blazer. I doubt you could do it with the new ones.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:31 AM   #10
snizzle
Recalled user

GMC Jimmy?

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
Old 09-23-2020, 09:56 AM   #11
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I think Ford knocked it out of the park with the new Bronco. Nice to see someone finally take the fight to jeep
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:20 AM   #12
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Quote:
Well I was thinking with the Bronco offering a Sport trim (unibody) maybe the Blazer could offer a K5 package (body on frame) with real offroad capability. Enthusiast cars keep getting pinched while SUV options keep expanding so if the Blazer is a sales success in it's current form, why do you think they wouldn't offer it as a real Wrangler/Bronco competitor?
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:19 PM   #13
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Well I was thinking with the Bronco offering a Sport trim (unibody) maybe the Blazer could offer a K5 package (body on frame) with real offroad capability. Enthusiast cars keep getting pinched while SUV options keep expanding so if the Blazer is a sales success in it's current form, why do you think they wouldn't offer it as a real Wrangler/Bronco competitor?
Now that idea I can get behind. If they bring back the K5 designation that will make a lot of people happy.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #14
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
That is an awesome idea. Use the ZR2 Colorado as a base and boom.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote