Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-17-2020, 01:11 PM   #1
VLAD146

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
CAMARO 1SS QUESTION FOR TRACK

I OWN A 1SS 1LE, I was wondering if anyone has a regular 1SS with a track setup NON 1LE thats doing well or maybe just as good as the 1LE or better. I'm really curious about this. I have seen some pretty good 1ss's with some track setups, but wondering if maybe someone here has one and just carving up tracks with it.
VLAD146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:44 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yup i have one goal is to track as much as possible this year already been to streets of willow and big willow so far and 1 auto x day, next one is may at fontana aka acs and then end of may at chuckwalla
Old 03-17-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:54 PM   #4
VLAD146

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
yup i have one goal is to track as much as possible this year already been to streets of willow and big willow so far and 1 auto x day, next one is may at fontana aka acs and then end of may at chuckwalla

Yes, tell me how your doing, especially when you run autocross with 1LE guys? Im starting to think that those are just as good with the right setup. If you have a social media let me know. But that said. any in depth info on your setup would be greatly appreciate. Last question, have you Driven a 1LE and be able to compare to yours? what do you think?
VLAD146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:22 PM   #5
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP if = skill the 1LE will be faster than a non-1LE SS and with the big front brakes will be able to track a little longer before brake fade. But that being said any SS is a very good track car that can be faster than a Gen5 1LE and many other fast cars.

And a good driver in a SS with tires can beat a lesser driver in a 1LE.

Practice, and more practice.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:39 PM   #6
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
I made that mistake once when speaking to one of the Camaro team a couple years ago. I mentiones that I had just a 1SS... he stopped me, gave me a look and said. 'It's not a 1SS - You drive a Camaro SS!'

That made me think
Why was I thinking my car is 'less' because the feature list is less.
It's still a god damn SS.

I felt much better after that. No more saying I drove a 1SS. I owned a CAMARO SS.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:35 AM   #7
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
I made that mistake once when speaking to one of the Camaro team a couple years ago. I mentiones that I had just a 1SS... he stopped me, gave me a look and said. 'It's not a 1SS - You drive a Camaro SS!'

That made me think
Why was I thinking my car is 'less' because the feature list is less.
It's still a god damn SS.

I felt much better after that. No more saying I drove a 1SS. I owned a CAMARO SS.
This! ^ Every SS has the potential to be a track star. Just add tires, the standard brake ducts, and a driver. The 1LE is icing on the cake.

Even my LT1 can be a good tracker with tires. But it can only go fast for a short time with a good driver compared to an SS. Maybe a lap or two. And If I do go to another track day with my LT1 I won't be setting any track records. I will just be having fun. Every sixth gen Camaro is comfortable on a track.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:38 AM   #8
Mark19

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS A10
There was a big thread about this somewhere on the forum. I also have a 1SS and will be installing the GM lowering kit, 1LE sway bars, handling links and 1LE spec width tires. From what GM testing showed, that would get an SS to about 77% of the 1LE performance.

With that said and my current skill level, I’m not sure I would run any faster in a 1LE or a base SS. Practice/experience is king.
Mark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:53 AM   #9
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
I remember reading somewhere on here where gm testing an ss vs a 1le, and just swapping to 1le type/size tires gave the ss 75% of the handling capability of the 1le. that number may be a bit off but I remember it being a pretty high percentage
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:59 AM   #10
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
OP if = skill the 1LE will be faster than a non-1LE SS and with the big front brakes will be able to track a little longer before brake fade. But that being said any SS is a very good track car that can be faster than a Gen5 1LE and many other fast cars.

And a good driver in a SS with tires can beat a lesser driver in a 1LE.

Practice, and more practice.
I think this is the reality. I've owned a 2016 1SS and now a 2018 1SS 1LE. If the driver's skill sets are comparable the 1SS is not going to be able to keep up, better tires and brakes will help, but won't close the gap all the way.

Having said that, when driving cars like these I think the driver is the most important mod. A good driver in a 1SS will win over a mediocre driver in a 1LE every time.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:02 AM   #11
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
I as well have a 1SS that I will be tracking this year. Only reason I bought a 1ss over a 1le is because I enjoy modifying my cars so some of the features that the 1le comes with I would be replacing with aftermarket anyways.
That1guy_tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:54 AM   #12
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
The biggest mistake people make is thinking they need all sorts of mods to track their car. The only thing I would say is necessary is a set of brake pads that won't overheat on lap 2. Autox is even easier, your car basically just needs to be roadworthy, and you're good to go.
foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:11 AM   #13
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
The biggest mistake people make is thinking they need all sorts of mods to track their car. The only thing I would say is necessary is a set of brake pads that won't overheat on lap 2. Autox is even easier, your car basically just needs to be roadworthy, and you're good to go.
The stock brake pads are fine on the Camaro SS. You need to change the brake fluid to a DOT4 higher temp fluid (Motul 600 | Castro SRF). There is also a need to change engine oil to a Dexos II 0W/40W Mobil 1 or 5W/40W Motul 8100 XClean Dexos II (there are others, not starting an oil war thread).

Changing the type of pad to a more race oriented pad can lead to much quicker rotor wear.

FWIW, I tracked my SS a good amount. I upgraded brake pads and rotors all the way around. This was after I had went through a couple sets of pads and really needed a rotor change.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:23 AM   #14
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
I remember reading somewhere on here where gm testing an ss vs a 1le, and just swapping to 1le type/size tires gave the ss 75% of the handling capability of the 1le. that number may be a bit off but I remember it being a pretty high percentage
Here's the thread:
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542333