Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-22-2020, 08:51 AM   #29
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Natural Gas is the best bio fuel, ATM. Especially since the US has the largest supply in the world.

Once we get compact cold fusion down, electric cars will be awesome & I’d be on board.
Nat Gas is not a biofuel, but a key part of the energy transition.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:57 AM   #30
ST1LE

I can tell where people live based on their responses. Here where I live, a Tesla or Taycan are all over the place, charging stations are all over the place, no shock Tesla is doing so well.

Concerns for road trips dont seem to be swaying people's decisions to go electric in the cities, but when I go visit my family just 30 minutes away in the 'burbs it's a completely different story. Nothing but big lifted trucks, with an occasional EV here and there.

It works for some, and things aren't quite there for most. The 'some' in this equation is clearly enough for these manufacturers to sell cars and turn a profit though. It's early on, but clearly working.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:43 AM   #31
brap999

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
This look cool in 2020. In 2040 this is going to look horrid. Much like 80's "futuristic" stuff looks comical today.
1998 Dodge Viper GTS
1972 Pontiac GTO
1963 Chevy C10 short bed, T5, 350, lowered
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:51 AM   #32
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
None around me nor where I typically drive.

Also, 35-40min is a looong time to be twiddling your thumbs. On a long trip that would add hours upon hours.
My point wasn't that it would work for you, but that it works for a lot of Tesla owners that I know of that take trips in the their cars, enabled by the Supercharger Network.

30 minutes isn't bad when in an ICE vehicle, I will typically stop for 15 minutes to fuel and use the restroom, maybe buy a snack or soda.

If you are doing splash and dash then probably a bigger deal.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:55 AM   #33
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
My point wasn't that it would work for you, but that it works for a lot of Tesla owners that I know of that take trips in the their cars, enabled by the Supercharger Network.

30 minutes isn't bad when in an ICE vehicle, I will typically stop for 15 minutes to fuel and use the restroom, maybe buy a snack or soda.

Yeah that definitely would work for me lol. splash and dash, I like that term lol
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:04 AM   #34
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Nat Gas is not a biofuel, but a key part of the energy transition.
It absolutely is.

Bio-fuel is a product of fuel from living plants. & as gaseous byproduct of organic breakdown of plant matter it is a type bio fuel. The definition of modern process rather than natural events is a stupid misnomer.

I get what you are saying, but the reality is there is really no such thing as “fossil fuels”, as there is really not enough animal matter ever present as to be a major contributing volume.

Even raw crude has predominant genetic traces to modern plant life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

Right, like the customers that we have that show up in their Tesla’s & ask to plug into our shop so they can get their butts back home to their big city.

I really feel like telling them to bring a gas generator with them & charge their own car rather than mooching off me. Then the reality may just sink in the gas they put in their generator would have been better off just put in their car.

Last edited by gtfoxy; 10-22-2020 at 10:16 AM.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:20 AM   #35
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
It absolutely is.

Bio-fuel is a product of fuel from living plants. & as gaseous byproduct of organic breakdown of plant matter it is a type bio fuel. The definition of modern process rather than natural events is a stupid misnomer.

yes, there's RNG renewable natural gas (also biogas):
https://www.epa.gov/lmop/renewable-natural-gas

i wonder how much of this stuff can be produced?
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:22 AM   #36
ST1LE

Quote:
It absolutely is.

I get what you are saying, but the reality is there is really no such thing as “fossil fuels”, as there is really not enough animal matter ever present as to be a major contributing volume.

Even raw crude has predominant genetic traces to modern plant life.
Well, I get your meaning but there are agreed definitions of things and Nat Gas is not defined as a Biofuel in the industry, it just isn't considered one as it is a fossil fuel. A biofuel is sourced directly from living matter, which Nat Gas is not.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:29 AM   #37
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
yes, there's RNG renewable natural gas (also biogas):
https://www.epa.gov/lmop/renewable-natural-gas

i wonder how much of this stuff can be produced?
Yep, & the chemical composition ends up the exact same.

Only with one that the work has been done for us is, in the end, much more efficient.

To answer your question, Natural Gas from algae production is certainly viable once we run out of pre-made Natural Gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Well, I get your meaning but there are agreed definitions of things and Nat Gas is not defined as a Biofuel in the industry, it just isn't considered one as it is a fossil fuel. A biofuel is sourced directly from living matter, which Nat Gas is not.
I choose not to play that game. Words have real meaning.

Imagine a world in which everything is defined as that which it is not.

The ensuing breakdown of society as we know would be all but inevitable!
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:38 AM   #38
ST1LE

Quote:
I choose not to play that game. Words have real meaning.

Imagine a world in which everything is defined as that which it is not.

The ensuing breakdown of society as we know would be all but inevitable!
Old 10-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #39
KenMaro

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS manual
Ann Arbor Michigan area has over a dozen charging stations, I imagine most areas already have some charging stations but many people are not aware of them. Do a simple Google search in your area for charging stations and you may be surprised to see how many there are already. Most Meijer and Walmart parking areas have them around here.

Whether you are a fan or not doesn't change the fact that the world is changing. If you read more into GMs plans, they already stated they want the entire Cadillac line to be EV in 5 years. If that holds true, time will tell... You can hold on as long as you can but no one can stop time or change. VW is all in on EVs. All the major manufactures are turning to EV. All a matter of time now.
KenMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:46 PM   #40
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
I would prefer hydrogen fuel cell over BEV but not much has been done on that except the Honda model and maybe one or two others.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:01 AM   #41
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange ss View Post
After seeing this ..hope a next gen camaro could share some of this technology..pretty impressive

https://www.gmc.com/electric-truck/h...oJBA&gclsrc=ds

I just preordered one of these. I ordered mine with the standard 6 speed manual Trans and dual exhaust.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:51 AM   #42
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
What I find amusing in this discussion is when comparing a Camaro to the Mustang or any competitor it’s about the numbers. From HP to 1/4 mile and lap times to determine which is better.

When you bring up the performance of an EV it suddenly becomes about feel and sound and and the conversation suddenly is very subjective.

Just an observation.