Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 11-26-2022, 11:43 AM   #1
dadss

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
help requested for shrieking brakes

I have an annoying situation with my brakes and I hope someone can give some insight.

I did my brakes which included turning the rotors and installing the Power Stop PST 1001 track day pads, in anticipation of a track day. I suppose as expected, they screamed like a garbage truck.

I ended up not going to the track so I just swapped the track pads out for the Z26 pads by power stop. I did not turn the rotors, thinking I could just repeat the bed in procedure. The rotors were in good shape.

Now with the new pads, the exact same screaming is back like the track pads are still on there. I have repeated the bed in prcedure multiple times and no help. The only thing that makes sense to me is that the track pad material is still on the rotor and now possibly contaminated in the ceramic pads.

Do I just turn the rotors? I fear the ceramic pads are now contaminated and I need to just do a whole new brake job with turned rotors and new pads. Would brake quiet solve this situation?

I made a short video so others can hear these insane brakes.

https://youtu.be/MtjSqAcphSE

cheers
dadss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 02:59 PM   #2
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
I would jack up the car (after loosening the lug nuts) take off the wheels and use some 200 grit sandpaper to lightly sand off the Race pad/ceramic brake material from the disc. Just fold a quality sheet of 200 sandpaper over the rotor and spin it in a counter-clockwise rotation with light/medium pressure. You could then hit it with a good spray of "Brakleen" disc cleaner and give it a moment to dry.

Then repeat the "bed-in" process on your ceramic pads (I don't think you'll need to replace them, but you could sand a little material off them as well). Before you go to the track, repeat the process of lightly sanding and then bed-in the track pads. Easy peazy lemon squeezy. Modern brake rotors are as light as possible- there is not enuff material for repeated turnings. Best of luck and have fun!

BTW- If my local garbage truck made that much noise, I'd shoot out his tires!

Last edited by Ventmaster; 11-26-2022 at 03:23 PM.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 11:18 PM   #3
dadss

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
I would jack up the car (after loosening the lug nuts) take off the wheels and use some 200 grit sandpaper to lightly sand off the Race pad/ceramic brake material from the disc. Just fold a quality sheet of 200 sandpaper over the rotor and spin it in a counter-clockwise rotation with light/medium pressure. You could then hit it with a good spray of "Brakleen" disc cleaner and give it a moment to dry.

Then repeat the "bed-in" process on your ceramic pads (I don't think you'll need to replace them, but you could sand a little material off them as well). Before you go to the track, repeat the process of lightly sanding and then bed-in the track pads. Easy peazy lemon squeezy. Modern brake rotors are as light as possible- there is not enuff material for repeated turnings. Best of luck and have fun!

BTW- If my local garbage truck made that much noise, I'd shoot out his tires!
Thank you for the advice. I'll give this a shot! I'll let you know how it turns out in a reply.
dadss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 03:57 PM   #4
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadss View Post
Thank you for the advice. I'll give this a shot! I'll let you know how it turns out in a reply.
That would be great! Good luck and have fun!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:15 AM   #5
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
You have track pad bedding residue on the rotors, I would not worry about it after a few days the material will wear away. If you it really bothers you go through a bedding procedure. You don't need to sand the rotors. I have found it takes 3-4 days of driving for the squeal to go away. Question, have you ever seen a shop take a car after a brake job and bed the pads and rotors. I never have, bedding track pads increases performance when the rotors are at temp but during daily driving pads and rotors never get that hot.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake squeal, brake squealing