Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 08-09-2018, 02:16 PM   #1
BOYD3800SII

Drives: 2017 RS CAMARO V6
REAR MOUNT TURBO (Maybe?)

Ok, so I got bored and was looking at some of the custom turbo projects on YouTube. I noticed that there are NO 6th Generation Camaros that have even considered butt-Turbos and the reason why is that the aftermarket for the 4 cylinder turbo and V8 supercharger or engine mods is already high. Regardless, I just wanted to think outside the box for a little...

Here is a pic of my EBAY GT3076R (yes dammit flame me and I don't care) Dual BB, twin scroll turbo. The compressor is .60AR and turbine housing with VBand is .82. It was going to be mounted on my old Pontiac G6 GXP. It is perfectly suited for a front mounted turbo.... but I had a crazy idea... IS THERE ANY ROOM UNDER THE CAMARO THAT THIS WOULD FIT?
Attached Images

BOYD3800SII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
BOYD3800SII

AND THIS TOTALLY BLEW ME AWAY!! LIKE IT COULD ACTUALLY BELONG THERE! LOLOL!
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2018, 02:31 PM   #3
BOYD3800SII

oK, So this turbo is obviously a tad bit large but a smaller t3 twin scroll with an antilag valve could also fit in this space. I am thinking that I can also easily utilize both mufflers and route a charge pipe to the front as well. Has anyone else thought about doing a simple setup like this? I think it could be easily done for less than $2000 even if you buy a quality turbo, wastegate, and intercooler, and oil recirculation pump. I am just researching the idea because I can probably get away with a system like this that can be easily removed using Vbands. My car is under warranty and I don't wanna give the dealership any reason to void it unil the 36,000 mile runs out.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:39 PM   #4
Joel2702zzz

Drives: My Dad's car is a '16 1SS 6MT
Yes! We need people like you that think outside the box!
And have the know-how and resources to do it.
Joel2702zzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #5
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
Sure you can do a rear mount or a low mount or a front mount, it will fit anywhere with some work.

I think that turbo is too small for that motor. Look at the compressor map in the link. Guessing the motor flows around 30lbs of air stock. That would be 45lbs of air at 1.5pr or 60lbs of air at 2pr. Both of those conditions are off the map.

https://www.full-race.com/store/garr...EaAh3gEALw_wcB
Old 08-09-2018, 02:48 PM   #6
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel2702zzz View Post
Yes! We need people like you that think outside the box!
And have the know-how and resources to do it.
OK so truth be told I built 2 of them in the past for a 4th gen firebird and a Pontiac GrandAM I no longer have those cars but they were fun projects. I gave up on them sucking water in through the filter because on those cars there was no place that you could easilyn put the filter under the car where you could drive it in inclement weather. However I do see a very promising space under the trunk area in the back of the 6th gen Camaro that looks as if water wont get to.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:53 PM   #7
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
Sure you can do a rear mount or a low mount or a front mount, it will fit anywhere with some work.

I think that turbo is too small for that motor. Look at the compressor map in the link. Guessing the motor flows around 30lbs of air stock. That would be 45lbs of air at 1.5pr or 60lbs of air at 2pr. Both of those conditions are off the map.

https://www.full-race.com/store/garr...EaAh3gEALw_wcB
Not really for a butt turbo...the turbine housing is .82AR twin entry and the intake on the compressor is 4 inches with 2.5 outlet. IT should do just fine for 400 to 450 horsepower.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #8
parish8

Did you look at the map? Why would you start a project with a turbo you can’t even land on the map with?
Old 08-09-2018, 03:06 PM   #9
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
Did you look at the map? Why would you start a project with a turbo you can’t even land on the map with?
Hang on... this is just an idea this turbo is not for this car anyway. It was for another project that I have not even got to yet. Also you need a smaller turbo for a rear mount to offset lag and spool faster. I have built two kits before and I used smaller turbos for that very reason. If you put a gorilla back there then you can wait about 5 seconds to hit boost in 2nd gear
Old 08-09-2018, 03:06 PM   #10
locktyght

Drives: Summit White 2016 2SS
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458534

Here is one that was done, single and then to twins
Old 08-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #11
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
Originally Posted by locktyght View Post
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458534

Here is one that was done, single and then to twins
WOW I never saw that! Thanks for posting! That single was HUGE!!
Old 08-09-2018, 03:19 PM   #12
parish8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOYD3800SII View Post
Hang on... this is just an idea this turbo is not for this car anyway. It was for another project that I have not even got to yet. Also you need a smaller turbo for a rear mount to offset lag and spool faster. I have built two kits before and I used smaller turbos for that very reason. If you put a gorilla back there then you can wait about 5 seconds to hit boost in 2nd gear
That might be true on the turbine side, not sure how you would size that. I think you size the compressor size normally and the compressor is too small for this motor. Would it make more power than stock? Sure but not nearly as much as one properly sized.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:41 PM   #13
BOYD3800SII

Quote:
That might be true on the turbine side, not sure how you would size that. sized.
For the turbine side I would use a quick spool valve and larger housing or integrate a second wastegate on one side of the turbine housing to activate on boost. still easy to do and spools faster than a large single. I am sure that you have seen this before but just in case you have not, here are some threads:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...yone-used.html

[QUOTE] I think you size the compressor size normally and the compressor is too small for this motor. Would it make more power than stock? Sure but not nearly as much as one properly.[QUOTE]

Yes, A person can easily get one with the correct compressor housing but there are limiting factors on a butt turbo system: room, spool time, and peak power. Bottom line is there
is not a ton of room (compressor housing is bigger than turbo housing), a smaller compressor housing will allow for faster boost. You will also make peak torque quicker. Remember... we are talking about a V6 motor in which we might make an additional 100 to 150 horsepower.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #14
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
not sure if id say "outside the box" really. the reason you don't see a lot of boost on v6's is because most people don't wanna spend cash, and or afraid of tuning which voids the powertrain warranty.

remote mount turbos have been around for over a decade now, so that style is nothing new. I considered em on my 2007 charger the year I bought it...in 2007. its 2018 the price and uncertainty of what was forged or not on the 3.5 H.O. engine was my short points of passing on it. theres always gonna be a bit of tuning time and down time with the car, so as a daily driver, didn't have that option.

custom done stuff, is easy. but most times it takes time and money. if its what you wanna do, you'll find THE way to get it done.

if you look at the STS or Squires Turbo Systems, the turbo more or less REPLACE the mufflers... you don't need em really.

so yes, the area where the mufflers go, would be the best place for em, as STS does in all of their kits that are rear mount.
and with the length of the charge pipe running the length of the car, usually by the rocker pinch weld, there rarely is a need for an intercooler as it gives enough time to cool going from the rear of the car to the front. the main thing to be run is oil lines, or some have places self contained oil sumps with pump in the trunk to minimize the length of oil lines.

like said, look up STS turbos... holley recently acquired them https://www.holley.com/brands/sts_turbo/

but STS still does tuning https://www.squiresperformance.com/contact

already was done on a few 5th gens.... and as with all turbos, anyone can do this custom wise... tuning is where people fall flat. https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37457

if you've got the money, go for it!

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote