Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
corbett218

Drives: 2G1FT1EW1A9123780
Send a message via AIM to corbett218 Send a message via MSN to corbett218 Send a message via Skype™ to corbett218
need your opinions/help

I have a complete Infinity Kappa Perfect system that I took out from my old car(well Jeep to be more exact.) Which consist of 2 Kappa perfect dual voice coil 12" DVQ subs and 2 sets of the 6.1 Kappa Perfect component speaker systems...The amps pushing them are both made by Diamond Audio. The dedicated sub amp is a d6 1500.1 running 1500 rms@1ohms and other that is dedicated to the components is a d6 600.4. Running a woofer and tweeter pair at 150 rms@4ohms...Not to gloat or anything but this is probably the cleanest and loudest system I have ever heard!

Anyways getting to my point, I was trying to think of the best way to install this system as soon as I get my car. The component speakers I think will be pretty much strait forward. Just take out factory woofers and tweeters then replace with new(or slightly used if you wanna get detailed). I only say that because it is described as a 9 speaker system...which would mean that the woofers and tweeters are separate, Right? The center speaker is not really an issue, but if I can figure out a way to wire it into the system then I will.

Now for the subs...Most of my research that I did for this system pointed towards a sealed box since A: It was an open vehicle(doesn't have a trunk, thus the sound waves can travel uninterrupted, and B: Most music I listen too is metal, or some sub-genre of Rock...So I didn't want the boomey sound that ported boxes have and sealed boxes produces a tighter punchier sound.(Sorry some of those words probably don't exist in the English language but please bare with me. Also if this is wrong please feel free to correct me, this is just what I read on a few websites and I know the Internet does not always contain the truth.) So I was trying to think of the best way to keep a sealed box, while still kinda of keeping use of the back seats(I though of just folding them down and keeping it like that with the box in the trunk along with the amps. This is very unprofessional and very nasty looking, so that was out of the question. Then I though of this, since the back seat is only kind of made to hold 2 people. Why not cut out the center portion build a box to house the subs in vertical setup and have them as almost part of the back seat. I'm sure this has been done already with some show car or even maybe in someones driveway. But so much design has gone into this car and I want this car to remain looking stock at all cost. So I'm sure it will take some interior people to help pull this off, but what do you all think. I know anything is possible if you throw enough money at it, but I'm not trying to spend thousands of dollars just on trying to mount a couple sub woofers in car. I also realize you get what you pay for, and quality comes at a price. but do you think i would need to almost completely redo the back seat to keep it looking stock, or do you think i will be able to maybe cut out the midsection...have a little upholstery work done to clean up the edges of the cut and set the box right in the middle.

I then started looking at pictures of the back seats to see if was possible and the space in between the seats looks to small to fit a 12" sub in between them. I think I would have too cut in to the seat to make it work. I would rather not do this. Here is a picture to give all you visual people a very vague idea of what i'm trying to do.

(Sorry for the paint type photo edit, but i don't have Photo Shop to edit it any better)

As you can see the white spots "represent" the face of the sub woofers, and even tough they aren't to scale I still don't think there is enough middle to pull this off without getting into the seats themselves. what do all think might be the easiest way to get around this? Have the whole back "re-sized" so that there is still 2 seats, or just screw it and cut into the seats? (When I say re-sized, I mean having not only the backrest re-sized, but also the bench part too.) basically I'm trying not to go into the gray at all, just stay in the black part of the seat back(use the picture for this reference.)
2500 = Preferenced:?
3000 = Accepted By Production Control:?
3100 = Sequenced:?
3300 = Scheduled For Production:6-23-09
3400 = Broadcast:6-29-09
3800 = Produced:7-2-09 VIN# 2G1FT1EW1A9123780
4150 = Invoiced:?
4200 = Shipped:7-17-09
5000 = Delivered To Dealer:7-28-09
6000 = Delivered To Customer: 9-30-09:

Planned mods: black rally's painted, flat black 5 spoke rims, flow master exhaust, brembo's powder coated red
corbett218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:59 AM   #2
corbett218

Send a message via AIM to corbett218 Send a message via MSN to corbett218 Send a message via Skype™ to corbett218
no one?

well it looks like my image stopped working, so here it is again
Attached Images

Planned mods: black rally's painted, flat black 5 spoke rims, flow master exhaust, brembo's powder coated red
Old 07-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
LS1Proud

Drives: 2002 35th Anniversary LS1 Z28
I will give an opinion and some corrected info in regards to boxes

If you cut the seat out an mount subs, you will leave you car open to abuse as someone would be able to see inside and would probably attempt to steal them. You will get the most out of your subs by having them in the "trunk". If you have too much you can always turn down your amplifier. Maybe you might think of putting a couple of port tubes in the rear deck that would allow some more sound to come into the cabin while still hiding the subs in the "trunk".

As far as boxes go, sealed and ported can sound similar depending on many things, (volume of cabinet, port diameter, location, and length, etc.) For sealed the larger the box the more boom you will get within the range recommended for your specific subs, and the smaller will produce tighter bass. However if you take a small sealed box and put a ton of sound dampener into it, it will sound like a larger box and thus will be boomy also. I would have to look at the spec sheet for your specific subs, but most 12s run best in about a one cubic foot box (each). I have Alpine Type R12s that will work in a
.75 cubic foot box upto a 1.25 cubic foot box. I would look at the paperwork that came with your subs if you still have it as different generations of the same model sub can change on the amount of air space needed. Any more questions just post em up
LS1Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:44 AM   #4
corbett218

Here is probably the best info on the subs
http://www.caraudiomag.com/testrepor...fer/index.html

And if that's not enough info, then here is the link for the owners manual

http://www.manualnguide.com/manual-get/10667/

Thanks for the reply!

Old 07-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
xA13x

Drives: None
whats the measturment of the black middle part? cause its not 12 inches lol

Going to go pick up my baby tomorrow 10/10/09

2008 can-am Renegade 500 FOR SALE!!
xA13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
well there is a lot to say. now no competition but you should think of selling your stuff and buying hertz audio and audison. Now its good to know what kind of music you are going to listen to cause that helps out al ot for your setup. now rock music not a lot of bass like rap and r&b, so you could get aE300D sub, HSK 165 front door components, and then have a custom plate made and get another set for the rear, have the box custom made to fit either side of the rear trunk run it off a HP5 Amp. Now that there will cost but i will put money on it that it will sound 9 times better then what you have now. and that is the low line. i my self am running AVI components in the front with some hertz coax in the rear with the same sub i told you to get with an arc audio 6 channel amp and i am told by many people that my system sound crisp, like they are at a concert, and get more into the music cause they can hear everything. also have been told i sound better then alot of people who run two 12"s. and remember to my front door speakers are also higher end then what i am telling you but trust me with the set up i told you it will beat what you have 9 times hands down. Ok sorry got off track plus the sub will work off a small enclosure i was one to find out cause i wanted a small box for room so my shop made a custom fiberglass box and added dynomat inside and i get the nice tight clean bass, also not just the box but also your set up and freq that you set it up to hit. look for your local dealer who works with hertz and audison and go in for a demo. any questions ask.
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote