Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #15
LS1Proud

Drives: 2002 35th Anniversary LS1 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
What? Seriously? If that was the case, wouldn't the drop in factory system be JL and not MTX? They do indeed invest R & D for their stealthboxes and such, and their products are good. Yet, too some, like myself, they are overpriced, underperforming being sold on their name only to fanboys products. There are products out there that outperform them, for less money and are just as durable, but you won't have JL written anywhere on it. BTW, I haven't heard a Stealthbox I like yet, and you pay a pretty penny for them!
I have to agree with you on this one. I have been installing audio equipment for the last ten years and I have yet to be impressed by a JL audio sub except for how it looks. I have seen great things from MTX and bad, just like most brands of anything. If I was to recommend any brand, it would be either Alpine Type R series or MTX.
LS1Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #16
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1Proud View Post
I have to agree with you on this one. I have been installing audio equipment for the last ten years and I have yet to be impressed by a JL audio sub except for how it looks. I have seen great things from MTX and bad, just like most brands of anything. If I was to recommend any brand, it would be either Alpine Type R series or MTX.

Lol, that's where we differ. I don't care for the Type aRrrrgghhhs either, lol. The Type Xs are a beast though! Old school MTX was one of my favorites, now, bleah....

If I go namebrand, I tend towards Memphis and Kicker. Yeah, I'm a bit biased as that's what I installed for many years, along with Pioneer, Clarion, Sony and Treo. The newer Memphis stuff leaves alot to be desired as far as qualtiy goes. The old ST-1000d was a staple in my vehicles, as was the Memphis Belle 5 channel. Sony Mobile ES was great, all the new stuff sucks. Treo's warranty and CS left a bad taste in my mouth while the products were awesome! Kicker, IMHO, about the best namebrand product on the market.

Currently, I run with the underdogs, the internet brands. Soundsplinter, SSA, Sundown, Stereo Integrity have all stepped up in big ways, to just name a few. Truthfully, at this point, I don't have shit installed in anything, lol. In my garage are 2 Clarion 8s, HiFonics NX750d, Orion 2500d, 2 Eclipse Ti 15s, SoundSplinter RL-p 12, SSA ICON 12 and a few other doodads and goodies. My son has a custom bookshelf that includes aluminum mids and textile tweets from PartsExpress backed up with a SoundSplinter RL-i 8.

There is so much more to audio then namebrand. It's just hard getting people to understand that, lol. Install is far more important then the product. Install will either make ya or break ya.