Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-07-2021, 09:12 AM   #57
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Comments from MT '17 Best driver's cars about the Camaro ZL1 1LE:

"Is the most track-capable road car GM has ever sold".

"The car couldn't win Best Driver's car if you didn't want to drive it everyday". "I've probably lost all my fillings, and my kidneys are bruised,". "Some judges thought the ride was too harsh".
‐---------‐‐---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I consider that for spirited daily driving use with occasionally track time the ZL1 (non 1LE) would be a great sport car.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:43 AM   #58
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
You couldn't have said it any better regarding your M3 comment. I just came out of a 16' M3 and the SS 1LE just destroys it in almost every way.

Being mostly a BMW / Audi guy for the better part of 10 years now, it was a bit of a mental and image adjustment getting back in an American car, but every time I walk up to my car and see how bad ass it looks and then get in it and drive it, it puts a smile on my face. The SS 1LE was everything I WAS expecting the M3 to be, but wasn't.
Lately American sport cars have been more sportier than BMW Ms:

Per MT H2H.
The '11 Mustang GT 5.0 was on the same level of of performance as the BMW M3 (V8)
The 6th gen Camaro SS beating the BMW M4.

Per R&T
The 6th gen Camaro SS1LE beating the BMW M2 Comp

The 6th generation Camaros are amazing track machines with their superb "Alpha" platform, beating more expensive Euro & Japanese sport cars. With less $$$ invested.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:54 AM   #59
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
I posted earlier on this thread about "approaching 50" and a ZL1 vs ZLE choice being easy. Not an easy choice since I enjoy track time, so a ZLE was the decision based on my intended use. It isn't bad on the street but if you hit a rogue bridge abutment or crazy uneven surface with an abrupt elevation change, be prepared for it to buck and feel airborne. In general, a youthful Camaro owner could tolerate a ZLE with ease and enjoy every second of it!
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:04 PM   #60
Sorange

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
I posted earlier on this thread about "approaching 50" and a ZL1 vs ZLE choice being easy. Not an easy choice since I enjoy track time, so a ZLE was the decision based on my intended use. It isn't bad on the street but if you hit a rogue bridge abutment or crazy uneven surface with an abrupt elevation change, be prepared for it to buck and feel airborne. In general, a youthful Camaro owner could tolerate a ZLE with ease and enjoy every second of it!
I represent that last sentence! I'm 35 and I could daily drive it if I wanted to. (I don't. I bought it for a occasional weekend car and track toy) I bought mine in Orlando FL and drove it back home to Grand Rapids MI with a couple day stop in Gatlinburg. it was a great and even my girlfriend didn't mind that trip. Like it was stated above, hit uneven surfaces and the car feels like it goes airborne. have that happen while going through a turn and it could throw the car sideways (had it happen unexpectedly on a highway onramp!) I bought mine mainly for the track capability. I am enough of a track rat that I was willing to deal with the reduced street comfort.
Sorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:56 AM   #61
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
Has anyone experienced hydroplane due to the size of the ZL1 1LE tires?
MakCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:03 AM   #62
ZLE dude

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
I 100% agree. I'm just now 39 and I've been using my '18 ZLE as a daily for nearly 2 years now. I'm approaching 23,000 miles and I've loved *almost* every second of it. I'll second the rough bridge abutments. I've hit my head on the ceiling 3 or 4 times now due to being launched out of the seat on a bad bridge joint. Outside of that one issue, people look at you like you're driving a space ship, you can outrun most things on the road, and it handles like a dream. I can safely say this is my favorite car I've owned thus far and I have trouble thinking something else could be more fun to own/drive.
2018 ZL1 1LE - Summit White, PDR, Rotofab CAI, 95mm TB, CSP 2" catless LT's, JMS Voltage Booster, AEM X-series WB, DSX flex fuel sensor, Banks Data Monster, Tuned by Ted Jannetty, 5% Tint, Blackvue DR900S-2CH, Diode Dynamics lighting, IGL Kenzo ceramic coating
ZLE dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:05 AM   #63
ZLE dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakCamaro View Post
Has anyone experienced hydroplane due to the size of the ZL1 1LE tires?
Only when driving much faster than I should be in inclement weather. In normal rain/standing water, my PS4S cut right through it at any speed under 75.
2018 ZL1 1LE - Summit White, PDR, Rotofab CAI, 95mm TB, CSP 2" catless LT's, JMS Voltage Booster, AEM X-series WB, DSX flex fuel sensor, Banks Data Monster, Tuned by Ted Jannetty, 5% Tint, Blackvue DR900S-2CH, Diode Dynamics lighting, IGL Kenzo ceramic coating
Old 02-09-2021, 09:31 AM   #64
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
Anyone that says the ride is bad on the zl1 1le is either old or expects the thing to ride like a caddy. Take one on a test drive I did because i was concerned with all the people crying about how bad they ride I did not want to hate it as its 73k. When we took it for a ride my wife said everyone is complaining about this? She's not a car person and we get in it and drive 4 hours one way to visit family out of state as long as its not raining as the weather is more of a concern than the ride.I live in NH and the roads in NH and New England are not the smoothest and I would drive it anywhere. Just for reference I am 45. I don't drive it daily because i will only drive it on perfect days but my daily driver rides worse (2020 gmc 2500 diesel at4)
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual

Last edited by closs2sx; 02-09-2021 at 09:49 AM.
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:42 AM   #65
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jb View Post
Is the ZLE street-able? Yes!
Is the ZLE harsh? Absolutely!
Is the ZLE ride height a major issue? Yep!

Pro: ZL1
Pro: ZLE
Con: Not driving both personally before making a decision.

Anything is possible.

ZL1 guys will say it's the best, the ZLE guys will say it's the best. Bottom line, buy what you like and what you can afford, then go hoon responsibly.
Best advice yet. This is dead on.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:26 AM   #66
ZLE dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by closs2sx View Post
Anyone that says the ride is bad on the zl1 1le is either old or expects the thing to ride like a caddy. Take one on a test drive I did because i was concerned with all the people crying about how bad they ride I did not want to hate it as its 73k. When we took it for a ride my wife said everyone is complaining about this? She's not a car person and we get in it and drive 4 hours one way to visit family out of state as long as its not raining as the weather is more of a concern than the ride.I live in NH and the roads in NH and New England are not the smoothest and I would drive it anywhere. Just for reference I am 45. I don't drive it daily because i will only drive it on perfect days but my daily driver rides worse (2020 gmc 2500 diesel at4)
My 60 year old father commented when riding in my ZLE that it was no different than his F250 without a trailer. He didn't think it was too bad and loved it in the corners.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:57 AM   #67
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
As a street brawler/regular driver, ZL1 wins - softer suspension means better weight transfer off the line, less drag at speed, and more comfortable for going out with the g/f. ZLE has lighter wheels but larger diameter tires (more rolling resistance). I'm still waiting to see a 40-140 mph roll between the two on youtube, someone needs to do it!

Main thing is I didn't want a big attention getting wing, I prefer the subdued look of the ZL1, and I still get tons of people wanting to play. Just put another M3 dickhead in his place last weekend. Cruising along in tour mode minding my own business and he climbs up my ass then tries to do a flybye - not happenin son! The FURY...
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:30 PM   #68
closs2sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
As a street brawler/regular driver, ZL1 wins - softer suspension means better weight transfer off the line, less drag at speed, and more comfortable for going out with the g/f. ZLE has lighter wheels but larger diameter tires (more rolling resistance). I'm still waiting to see a 40-140 mph roll between the two on youtube, someone needs to do it!

Main thing is I didn't want a big attention getting wing, I prefer the subdued look of the ZL1, and I still get tons of people wanting to play. Just put another M3 dickhead in his place last weekend. Cruising along in tour mode minding my own business and he climbs up my ass then tries to do a flybye - not happenin son! The FURY...
don't care for the wing either but I like corners its easy to drive in a straight line even easier with an auto so my choice was the zl1 1le even with the wing. I have other vehicles that are plenty faster in a straight line (they make the stock zl1 or zl1 1le feel like a 4cyl camry ) working on fixing that though
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
6 Spd Manual
Old 02-09-2021, 12:34 PM   #69
closs2sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLE dude View Post
My 60 year old father commented when riding in my ZLE that it was no different than his F250 without a trailer. He didn't think it was too bad and loved it in the corners.
yeah My dad who was 70 when I picked my car up took it for a ride and loved it. He also went with me to TN to pick up an ss 1le that has been lowered on eibachs and we drove from TN to NY straight only stoping for fuel and it did not bother him at all at 71. They really are not bad
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
6 Spd Manual
Old 02-09-2021, 12:44 PM   #70
closs2sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
Best advice yet. This is dead on.
I would only change is the the zl1 1le harsh Absolutely to is the zl1 1le firm yes

and neither car is the best ,one is better in corners the other can be adjusted to ride soft. My only issue with most peoples thoughts on the ride of the zl1 1le is its pre conceived based on what other people say or what they read so I agree with go drive one and pick the best one for you
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
6 Spd Manual