Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: 2016-2018 Automatic Transmission
Have never had an issue 22 22.92%
I have/had A8 Shudder issue 53 55.21%
I have/had A8 Harsh shift issue 21 21.88%
Problem fixed with original pre-Mobil 1 flush 4 4.17%
Problem fixed with Mobil 1 flush 40 41.67%
Problem fixed with torque converter replacement 6 6.25%
Problem not fixed yet 15 15.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2021, 09:08 PM   #15
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
Yes, I misread that, I assumed something because there was no need to mention the V6, I never specified V8s.

But I appreciate you being a smart ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
Reading for comprehension is always a good thing.

He said V6 8 speed. As in 6 cylinder ENGINE with an EIGHT speed TRANSMISSION!

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:10 PM   #16
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post
Yes, I misread that, I assumed something because there was no need to mention the V6, I never specified V8s.

But I appreciate you being a smart ass.
You didn't mention 2019 in your poll either so there's that. My goal was to simply add content to your post. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:38 AM   #17
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
I have the car 2 years and never had an issue whatsoever.
MakCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:23 AM   #18
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

We can just let it go.

From my looking, the 10 speed came in 2019 models, might be the SS only, but i didn't search any further. We are all good.

I just want to see how widespread the issue is, and what has been the best fix. I appreciate you answering if you did. I don't care which year, or engine model, just the trans itself.

I don't appear to have the shudder (my 16 I have had for a month and a half) but do have harsh shifts, has had a pre-Mobil 1 flush, and a torque converter replace according to the CarFax. Trying to figure if I should get them to reflush with Mobil 1. I am still under the 60.000 mile powertrain warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
You didn't mention 2019 in your poll either so there's that. My goal was to simply add content to your post. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Old 02-08-2021, 08:08 AM   #19
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
We can just let it go.

From my looking, the 10 speed came in 2019 models, might be the SS only, but i didn't search any further. We are all good.

I just want to see how widespread the issue is, and what has been the best fix. I appreciate you answering if you did. I don't care which year, or engine model, just the trans itself.

I don't appear to have the shudder (my 16 I have had for a month and a half) but do have harsh shifts, has had a pre-Mobil 1 flush, and a torque converter replace according to the CarFax. Trying to figure if I should get them to reflush with Mobil 1. I am still under the 60.000 mile powertrain warranty.
Okay Jim, I'll admit I was being a smart ass! I'll apologize too, I could have worded it differently. As far as forums go, this one is pretty tame and most people here are pretty chill. I'm on some others where trolling is so rampant it ruins it.

You're probably okay if you had the flush and TC swap. If you're concerned about not having Mobil1, just get them to do the TSB flush again. It's no longer required for them to verify the issue, TSB says "no further diagnosis beyond customer complaint required". I had my '16 done a few months ago before putting it away. Took it in for an oil change and told them it was doing it...it wasn't. It only has 4k miles and has never done it, I just wanted it done as preventative. If you have to pay, it's about $450 at a GM dealer.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:42 AM   #20
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Sorry you had to put the 16 away... I am so glad I moved to FL from VA, and it is always (almost) a good day for a Camaro ride. Summer tires and all!
Stay warm!

Thanks,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
Okay Jim, I'll admit I was being a smart ass! I'll apologize too, I could have worded it differently. As far as forums go, this one is pretty tame and most people here are pretty chill. I'm on some others where trolling is so rampant it ruins it.

You're probably okay if you had the flush and TC swap. If you're concerned about not having Mobil1, just get them to do the TSB flush again. It's no longer required for them to verify the issue, TSB says "no further diagnosis beyond customer complaint required". I had my '16 done a few months ago before putting it away. Took it in for an oil change and told them it was doing it...it wasn't. It only has 4k miles and has never done it, I just wanted it done as preventative. If you have to pay, it's about $450 at a GM dealer.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Old 02-08-2021, 08:48 AM   #21
Turkish01

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
We can just let it go.

I would get the new fluid.
Turkish01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:49 AM   #22
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Gonna try and schedule it, bad thing is the dealer is 50 minutes away, and a closer dealer won't do it cause I didn't buy it there. I can take it to them, but they are a month waiting for transmission repairs, and I don't get in line till I drop the car off. That doesn't work for me.

So, I will try to make arrangements at the dealer I got it from. (bought used)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish01 View Post
I would get the new fluid.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Old 02-08-2021, 10:56 AM   #23
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Mine had the shudder and hard shift problems. The latest fluid flush seems to have resolved the shudder problem so far. The hard shift was resolved with a valve body and shift relearn but it has returned a year later.

Last edited by Mark114; 02-09-2021 at 09:01 PM.
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:02 AM   #24
YellowFever

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
Mine had the shudder and hard shit problems. The latest fluid flush seems to have resolved the shudder problem so far. The hard shift was resolved with a valve body and shift relearn but it has returned a year later.
I think some exlax might help with the hard shit issue.........Hahahahahaha, sorry could not help myself.
Hyper Blue 2SS - Cold Air Inductions CAI - Elite Engineering Catch Can - Black Fuel Door - GM Strut Tower Brace - GM Fender Hash Stripes - Ikon Front Lower Spoiler Lip - GM Black Bow Ties - GM Rear Deck Blackout - 35% Window Tint - GM Smoked Tail Lights & 3rd Brake Light - Range Technologies AFM Disabler - Jet Performance Stage 2 Module - Jet Performance MAF Sensor - Jet Performance Throttle Body - GM Stainless Gas & Brake Pedal Upgrade - Soler Performance TC - OE Wheels ZL1 Replicas
YellowFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:01 PM   #25
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
This is an interesting poll, the only problem IMO will be the interpretation of the results in light of OP's desire to find out "how widespread this problem is".

We already know with a fairly high degree of certainty that the shudder is caused by a design flaw, given GM are trying to deflect the class action lawsuit with the argument that such flaws are not covered by warranty:

"GM has argued that these claims should be thrown out, as its express warranty only covers defects that relate to materials and workmanship, and not design defects. The suits claim that all 8L45E and 8L90E transmissions experience these problems, which implies the problems are related to a design defect instead, the automaker said."

Now if it's a design flaw, that means every single A8 is susceptible to the problem. IMO those that leave the transmission alone and never have the problem mitigated via the new fluid are 100% guaranteed to experience the shudder, the only difference is their mileage, which is probably impacted by driving style and environmental factors (temperature, humidity). The wide range of complaints from truck and SUV owners also underlines this.

At the same time, the new Mobil1 fluid is known to provide very efficient mitigation, which this polls also appears to prove. When flushed in time with this fluid or by replacing an already damaged torque converter, the issue seems to be manageable.

It's such a shame that this otherwise great transmission will go down in history as one of the worst torque converted automatics due to this single issue. Mine is tuned, preemptively flushed 2x and has been absolutely flawless so far in every way. I watched quite a few educational videos about the 8L90 and the 10L90, and the A10 is not that much different—it's fascinating how a small error can make or break such an extremely complex product.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:44 PM   #26
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

I agree with most. But odd how their "design flaw" APPEARS to be fixed with a different trans. fluid.

My purpose, as you can probably guess, is how widespread, and whether it "appears" to be fixed, and by which method. Mine had an early flush, and a new torque converter, but I still want the Mobil 1 flush to give me some peace of mind. Someone did purchase a 100,000 mile Ltd powertrain warranty on this car so I am good until 8/9/22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
This is an interesting poll, the only problem IMO will be the interpretation of the results in light of OP's desire to find out "how widespread this problem is".

We already know with a fairly high degree of certainty that the shudder is caused by a design flaw, given GM are trying to deflect the class action lawsuit with the argument that such flaws are not covered by warranty:

"GM has argued that these claims should be thrown out, as its express warranty only covers defects that relate to materials and workmanship, and not design defects. The suits claim that all 8L45E and 8L90E transmissions experience these problems, which implies the problems are related to a design defect instead, the automaker said."

Now if it's a design flaw, that means every single A8 is susceptible to the problem. IMO those that leave the transmission alone and never have the problem mitigated via the new fluid are 100% guaranteed to experience the shudder, the only difference is their mileage, which is probably impacted by driving style and environmental factors (temperature, humidity). The wide range of complaints from truck and SUV owners also underlines this.

At the same time, the new Mobil1 fluid is known to provide very efficient mitigation, which this polls also appears to prove. When flushed in time with this fluid or by replacing an already damaged torque converter, the issue seems to be manageable.

It's such a shame that this otherwise great transmission will go down in history as one of the worst torque converted automatics due to this single issue. Mine is tuned, preemptively flushed 2x and has been absolutely flawless so far in every way. I watched quite a few educational videos about the 8L90 and the 10L90, and the A10 is not that much different—it's fascinating how a small error can make or break such an extremely complex product.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Old 02-09-2021, 06:23 PM   #27
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

You JUST HAD to do it didn't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowFever View Post
I think some exlax might help with the hard shit issue.........Hahahahahaha, sorry could not help myself.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Old 02-10-2021, 05:32 PM   #28
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Over 900 people have looked at this post, at least half are automatics, why no responses? All you gotta do is click some choice buttons...

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS