Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #85
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Airbags wasn't my earlier post.

Targa on the Corvette is considered a convertible by the Federal standards. Convertibles are exempt. So yes, they can make convertibles.

If you would like to read the standards let me know and I'll post links. I've done in the past when this comes up.
Sorry, I was referring to Pyrolsis's post instead of yours where he stated it was because of the air bag regulations, you were basically answering my question to him about the airbags, nothing was mentioned in his post about side impact standards.

So does that mean they could make a Targa top Camaro to get around the side impact regulations?
Old 03-13-2014, 06:58 PM   #86
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Sorry, I was referring to Pyrolsis's post instead of yours where he stated it was because of the air bag regulations, you were basically answering my question to him about the airbags, nothing was mentioned in his post about side impact standards.

So does that mean they could make a Targa top Camaro to get around the side impact regulations?
Yes, that would work.

Problem is the size of the panel, the ability to get it off easily and where you would store it. The Camaro roof panel would likely be bigger than the Corvette which just from the size can be difficult to manage.

Also it would have to fit in the trunk.

Do you remember the Solstice Hard Top? It had a targa, but you had to leave it at home because you couldn't store it on board. They developed a canvas folding top you could carry for emergency weather issues.

BTW can anyone say C7???
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #87
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Yes, that would work.

Problem is the size of the panel, the ability to get it off easily and where you would store it. The Camaro roof panel would likely be bigger than the Corvette which just from the size can be difficult to manage.

Also it would have to fit in the trunk.

Do you remember the Solstice Hard Top? It had a targa, but you had to leave it at home because you couldn't store it on board. They developed a canvas folding top you could carry for emergency weather issues.

BTW can anyone say C7???
Hmm a soft top removable fold up panel for a targa top Camaro....
Right after the Saturn Sky pictures came out I did a Photoshop of a C6 Corvette targa top on a Sky and posted it on the Skyforum... It looked better than the Solstice Coupe.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:55 PM   #88
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Speaking of the corvette,and the ZO6 having a removable top,are they going to now need a roll bar to run at the drag strip ?
Old 03-13-2014, 11:04 PM   #89
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomb1223 View Post
Not sure if you have seen the new mustang in person, but it was one bad mamajama ... it looks amazing
+1 its still a american made pony car,and i would rather drive a american stamped car than a car from across the western seas....
Old 03-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #90
a.morblu

Drives: 2011 Sinister SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen=5 View Post
+1 its still a american made pony car,and i would rather drive a american stamped car than a car from across the western seas....
Camaro - Made in Canada
Old 03-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #91
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
Not the 6th gen.
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #92
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
The new ATS coupe is 3418 lbs with turbo-4cyl. I am thinking the 6th gen with V8 will add net 300 lbs for engine/drivetrain/susp. Maybe GM can save 50 lbs by cutting the Cadillac stuff out. Maybe 3600-3700 for the V8. The V6 might be 3400-3500 lbs.

In the meantime the current car looks great, handles great, is stout/safe, and IMO the weight issue is exaggerated. The Audi RS5 coupe is 4009 lbs. I am gonna wait on the '16 until the LT1 gets some time in, particularly with AFM even in the manual trans versions.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #93
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.morblu View Post
Camaro - Made in Canada
For one more year... and then it's back home to the good ol' U.S.A.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:52 PM   #94
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
The new ATS coupe is 3418 lbs with turbo-4cyl. I am thinking the 6th gen with V8 will add net 300 lbs for engine/drivetrain/susp. Maybe GM can save 50 lbs by cutting the Cadillac stuff out. Maybe 3600-3700 for the V8. The V6 might be 3400-3500 lbs.

In the meantime the current car looks great, handles great, is stout/safe, and IMO the weight issue is exaggerated. The Audi RS5 coupe is 4009 lbs. I am gonna wait on the '16 until the LT1 gets some time in, particularly with AFM even in the manual trans versions.
You might not be far off, but if GM uses the same length chassis as the ATS, then I feel a bit more optimistic than that. If they use a longer chasis, something between ATS and the CTS (since the Alpha platform is not static in size) then it could weigh more.

The ATS V6 weighs around 3,450 lbs...and I think that includes the goodies like MRC suspension and maybe even better brakes than a V6 Camaro. Now one would think a Camaro based on the same chasis would weigh less, due to things like less sound insulation, and less technology and less high end materials on the inside. So I'm going to say we could still see a V6 Camaro come in at right around 3,400 lbs give or take.

Now, the current V8 Camaro weighs between100 - 150 lbs more than a comparibly equipped V6 Camaro. Thats the engine, brakes, driveline and the whole bit. So apply that to my figure above for a 6th gen V6, and you end up right around 3,550 lbs for a 6th gen Camaro SS. So I think that coming in under 3,600, or maybe right around that mark sounds very attainable to me for the next SS.

Thats a good 250ish lbs lost, and I'm betting puts it right in the same ballpark as the 2015 Mustang GT b/c I doubt it has lost much if any weight.

Lets hope this can happen!
Old 03-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #95
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
On a different note...something else I'd like to use to make a point. I have been harping over and over again that I hope GM keeps the Camaro looking strong, bold,...give it presense on the street. Don't soften up too much on us like Ford did with the Mustang.

Ford recently released some early sketches of the 2015 Mustang before the final form came to be, and I have to admit it looks pretty killer compared to what we got in the end.

There is a thread on a Mustang site where these are shown, and everyone just loves them. Comment after comment basically saying they wish thats what they had ended up with, or they wish the final version had some aspect of this design. (of course "ThePill has to come in and set his little sheep straight and tell them Ford went soft early so they can make it more aggressive later, and that in reality the Mustang is "perfect" as it is...especially compared to the Camaro which he hates with a religious passion)

Take a look....

Now I realize not every aspect of these kinds of sketches can make production...it isn't possible, but still.

Look at how the Camaro was sketched way back when....

In 2006 this was an extremely bold design...and to our delight its pretty much exactly what we ended up with.

So again....to GM....I hope what you've got in store for us is unique, has its own personality, and again is striking to see on the road.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #96
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Looks like hell in pictures. Sometimes it happens that way. Some look better in pictures an some look better in person.
Saw the 2015 at an auto show last weekend. It was a BAMF. I would not be ashamed to own one of those.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:14 PM   #97
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
You might not be far off, but if GM uses the same length chassis as the ATS, then I feel a bit more optimistic than that. If they use a longer chasis, something between ATS and the CTS (since the Alpha platform is not static in size) then it could weigh more.

The ATS V6 weighs around 3,450 lbs...and I think that includes the goodies like MRC suspension and maybe even better brakes than a V6 Camaro. Now one would think a Camaro based on the same chasis would weigh less, due to things like less sound insulation, and less technology and less high end materials on the inside. So I'm going to say we could still see a V6 Camaro come in at right around 3,400 lbs give or take.

Now, the current V8 Camaro weighs between100 - 150 lbs more than a comparibly equipped V6 Camaro. Thats the engine, brakes, driveline and the whole bit. So apply that to my figure above for a 6th gen V6, and you end up right around 3,550 lbs for a 6th gen Camaro SS. So I think that coming in under 3,600, or maybe right around that mark sounds very attainable to me for the next SS.

Thats a good 250ish lbs lost, and I'm betting puts it right in the same ballpark as the 2015 Mustang GT b/c I doubt it has lost much if any weight.

Lets hope this can happen!
I think you are being too hopeful.

I believe MR is an option and I doubt GM can maintain price with a magnesium cradle. Everyone says "get rid of that Cadillac stuff and you'll save even more weight". Problem is some of that "Cadilac stuff" is premium light weight materials that you can afford at $$34,000 but not at $25,0000.

As usual I hope I'm wrong.

No one is talking about wheels. The largest wheel on the ATS is 18". Larger wheels will add mass and create more load into the body structure requiring more mass.

If we get the Alpha based car everyone wants and there is no 4 cylinder as all the haters are hoping, I think 3500 pounds for a V6 would be a great achievement. A V8 weighs more than a 6, needs a bigger radiator a bigger transmission a stronger driveshaft stronger rear axle.

Also name anything not optional on an ATS that you wouldn't expect on your Camaro. There isn't much these days.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #98
edco
Account Suspended

Drives: 07gt
Comment on KMPrenger post

Quote: " Ford recently released some early sketches of the 2015 Mustang before the final form came to be, and I have to admit it looks pretty killer compared
to what we got in the end."

I think the sketches make the opposite point. The '15 Mustang is true to the design facets of the sketches. I think Ford hit the right note. The "killer theme"
in car design can wear thin. This new Mustang will look fine on SCCA tracks in performance trims. It is also a design that is not out of place at a Country Club,
a theater drive way, a University campus, or any civil venue. Not everyone is a transformer hardon. Never saw the movie, did see it make the top ten worst movies list.

Ford has 50 years of enviable pony program experience and they have done it again.
Comparing the pics: they eyepoint in the drawing is on the ground-looking straight in the tail pipe.
The eyepoint in the pic is up at roof height. Move it to the ground, you get the wider lower aspect of the sketch.
Attached Images

Last edited by edco; 03-16-2014 at 09:36 PM. Reason: add pictures
edco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation