Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-12-2018, 06:50 AM   #1
TStang

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro 6 Speed
Hot Engine bad start cycle

‘16 2SS 6 Speed. Cranks normal in the morning and afternoon. If I drive it more than 20-30 minutes, stop somewhere for 5-10 minutes and then try to start it again, the engine cranks, pauses, cranks, pauses, cranks and then fires. The pauses last on average a second or two. The entire start sequence takes 3-5 seconds. I have taken it to the dealership multiple times in the past 2 years. March ‘17 they were able to replicate the problem and traced it to a bad cell in the battery and replaced it. 9-10 months later the issue started showing up again. Took it back in this past week. Their diagnostics showed a severely depleted battery, and once they charged it, they could find nothing wrong. They indicated there was no unusual voltage draws, the alternator is strong, and the starter tested good. They cannot answer what is causing the battery to deplete to the point of killing 2 batteries in 2 years. This is my daily driver and my daily commute is 25-40 minutes each way so there should be no reason for a depleted battery. What really doesn’t make sense is if the battery is indeed depleted, why is it cold cranking with no issue and having a problem with a hot start after the alternator should have charged it? Anyone experiencing similar symptoms or have an idea of what to check?
TStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:47 AM   #2
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
I have the same problem. There are times I thought it would fail me but it has always started even when it cranked so slow I thought no way is it going to start. I have not bothered with a dealer visit yet as no one who has posted about this so far has shared that a dealership has found the root problem (what is making the battery go bad) and I don't want to waste my time with being told - "nothing found - normal operation". If it fails to start then I will take action and get it into the dealership. I'm with you - if the battery has a bad cell or two how are the cold starts no problem at all but starts on a warm engine are a crap shoot as to whether it will slow crank or not. I have had the car 2 years and now have 16 K miles on the original battery.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2ss, battery, electrical issues, starter