Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-22-2017, 05:15 PM   #1
JBinSD

Drives: '23 LT Vert M6'16 Hyper 2SS Vert MT
"Coasting" an M6

I really enjoy rowing the gears of my 2SS M6, but I've found lately that my route to work is largely down hill one direction, up the other. I've been accelerating to speed (and maybe a bit more ), and then taking the car out of gear. I know it can be a bit dangerous, but does it hurt the tranny? I select the appropriate gear based on coasting speed when I re-engage, but I'm wondering if I'm actually hurting the tranny in some way. The engine speed is normally 2k rpm or under when I engage again, so I'm not racking the tranny hard or anything.

whatya think?
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #2
Sunsnare98

Drives: 2017 camaro ss
Coasting doesn't hurt a thing. And as long as your u have rev match on, you u don't even need to worry about what gear you go into after your done coasting. Coasting actually helps preserve the clutch vs trying to use engine speed to brake.
Sunsnare98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:38 PM   #3
1LE caSSper

Drives: White 1LE
You can do whatever you want to a transmission as long as the engine rpm matches it can't hurt anything.

That's how transmissions work
1LE caSSper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:51 PM   #4
JBinSD

Drives: '23 LT Vert M6'16 Hyper 2SS Vert MT
Thanks guys, the Rev Matching seems to raise the RPM's more than necessary, but if its a good precaution to save the clutch/tranny, I'm down with it. I was using the gears for engine braking a bit, but pads are cheaper than clutches and trannies, so maybe I'll just keep it outta gear and use the brakes.

Cheers,
Joel
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote