Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 01-20-2024, 08:39 PM   #29
CTRifecta

Drives: 2SS 1LE
The 5.0 coyote engine is a true gem, and the high-revving character of it is very unique for an American muscle car. Prior to driving a 6gen camaro, I always thought I would dislike the LT1 vs the S550 coyote, however after driving both, I am super happy with the LT1. While it doesn't rev out as high, the car is overall light enough, paired with a torque monster of a motor which makes the experience just downright amazing from any gear and any rpm. I haven't even gone past 4k RPMs yet (still within break-in miles), but the LT1 just oozes with character/sound and torque (esp w the NPP exhaust). The crisp 6mt also makes it a delight to enjoy, just have to get past the annoying 1-4 skip shift...

I will fully admit that Fords sales / marketing got me, as when I began looking into a fun V8 rwd + 6mt car, S550 mustang performance pack / Mach 1 reviews were absolutely everywhere. Online articles, multi-car comparisons, YT reviews, you name it, Ford did (and still does) a great job marketing their products. This, paired with the exact opposite from Chevy with the camaro, led me towards almost buying a S550 mach 1 a few years ago! The 6gen camaro is truly under-appreciated and had so little media coverage towards the end of it's production, super frustrating, but also probably an output of declining sales and a stagnant product.

It wasn't until I did more research on the Camaro, and understood how truly advanced the 6gen alpha chassis was vs. the mustang, that I started leaning more towards the camaro. Digging up super old reviews from 2018-2019 further validated how much of a true sports car the camaro is, vs. the mustang. The best way I would describe the two is, the mustang is a true muscle car, great motor, good ergonomics, visibility etc., but lacks true sports car chassis refinement (even though it's marketed as such). The camaro 6gen is actually a true sports car, disguised as a muscle car. One back to back drive between the two, and you'll understand.
Vehicle Built (per chevy chat bot) - 10/10/23
Window sticker available online - 11/4/23
Arrived at dealership - 11/10/23

Last edited by CTRifecta; 01-20-2024 at 08:55 PM.
CTRifecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 11:15 PM   #30
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
The camaro 6gen is actually a true sports car, disguised as a muscle car. One back to back drive between the two, and you'll understand.[/QUOTE]

That is the way I see it too.
Old 01-22-2024, 09:13 AM   #31
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Let me see here...

It's easy to talk about the Camaro vs. Mustang sales battle, but always overlook the fact that the Firebird/Trans-Am stole sales (for basically the same car). To give you an idea....they sold about 300k Firebird/Trans-Ams from 67-69.... and that was like 50k less than the Camaro sold...

The Mustang has never had to compete within Ford for anything. The Ford GT that was brought back twice was so far out of the price point that the Mustang had nothing to worry about. Meanwhile, Chevy has had the Corvette, the Impala SS, the Monte Carlo, etc, and all of these cars either cost the Camaro sales or in the case of the Corvette, cost the Camaro production as a whole.

Let's talk about the whole "Camaro is smaller, less space, etc"...

The current Mustang and Camaro are literally within .5 to 1 inch in all major dimensions interior wise. They are also very similar in height and width exterior wise. The Mustang I believe is about 9 inches longer than the Camaro however. The only real difference is the trunk opening which we can all admit the Mustang wins hands down... (was arguably the dumbest thing about the Camaro).

As for the visibility issue... it's bogus as hell and people need to quit with the fanboy nonsense. The Challenger, the Camaro, and the Mustang all have the same issues with visibility. The only reason the Mustang "feels" easier to see out of is because of the beltline sitting a little lower on the Mustang....otherwise it's pretty negligible.

Lastly, the whole sales thing is completely ignoring the fact that Ford heavily discounts and spam sales the Mustang to rental car companies.... (which GM didn't).

The current Camaro outperformed every model Mustang it went up against except the GT500, which costs about on average 40k more than the ZL1 and still only just edges it out.... despite Ford having like 5 years to build a better car...

This isn't a bash the Mustang commentary... it's a good car for what people want....and plenty of people love em...