Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-16-2021, 06:25 PM   #1
814LT4

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
ZLE Alignment off after 7300 miles

Noticed yesterday my steering wheel sits around 5 degrees to the right (in track steering) to go straight. Not sure how long it's been like that, the drive home from work is nothing but twisty mountain roads with no straights to really see it.

Heard of people knocking theirs out after a few quarter mile runs.. which if that's the case, then I'm not surprised--hearing the car come screaming from a stop is wildly addicting. Swinging is too

Bad news is she's gonna sit 'till I get the dealership (I know, I know) to align it. Will be posting updates, hopefully about how they did a great job and didn't screw it up.
Good news is there's no noticeable uneven wear on my tires yet and this is a perfect excuse for me to start beefing it up with SPL parts before heading to the dealership. Any recommendations for other things while I'm under there?
Old 05-17-2021, 06:51 AM   #2
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
As an FYI i bought my ZL1 with 6300 miles and the GY F1's were shot especially the fronts were outside tread was gone. It tracked horribly and I knew was way out of wack. New tires installed and aligned now it drives great.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:12 AM   #3
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Factory alignment was more likely never good. I wore out my front SC3's car was way toed out (as I remember), the inner edge was much more worn that the rest. When I was talking about ordering a ZL1 before all this chip problem, part of my "deal" was a fresh alignment on delivery (at their expense)
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:32 AM   #4
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
I guess I got lucky with stock alignment. I have 4500 street miles and 4 track days on my original SC3s and I still have 1/2 the tread left and no uneven wear whatsoever.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:11 AM   #5
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Chevy warranties the alignment to 6500 miles, just FYI. Mine was a tad bit out when I was at 6000 miles, brought it in and they corrected it under warranty.

But aside from just checking the alignment, you'll want to make sure the subframe is still torque down correctly. I've heard of a few of them being a little bit loose and moving a fraction of an inch and it throws everything off.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:45 PM   #6
814LT4

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1LE View Post
Chevy warranties the alignment to 6500 miles, just FYI. Mine was a tad bit out when I was at 6000 miles, brought it in and they corrected it under warranty.

But aside from just checking the alignment, you'll want to make sure the subframe is still torque down correctly. I've heard of a few of them being a little bit loose and moving a fraction of an inch and it throws everything off.

Damn, that sucks. Maybe I can work something out with them.

Good time to start reading through the service manual I suppose.

Seems crazy to me that this kind of stuff can happen so easily. At least it made me laugh a little seeing how bad the toe was from above.
Old 05-18-2021, 02:40 PM   #7
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Had same issue but under 5k miles. Dealer wouldn't take care of it under warranty so paid out of pocket. Now I have all the spl parts installed and they've been great
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:58 PM   #8
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Unless you have one of those rare dealers that is good at alignment and charges a reasonable $120-$150, dont take your ZLE there for alignment. Find a great alignment or track prep shop, even in Los Angeles the best ones are only $120-$150.

How do a few, or any, 1/4 mile runs affect front alignment? That should not happen. It takes about 2 serious track days hitting a lot of inside-turn curbing and maybe an unintended off road excursion to affect mine, and even then I can't really see it in the steering wheel--this abuse is way beyond a few straight line 1/4 runs.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:08 PM   #9
KramerTheAssMan

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Unless you have one of those rare dealers that is good at alignment and charges a reasonable $120-$150, dont take your ZLE there for alignment. Find a great alignment or track prep shop, even in Los Angeles the best ones are only $120-$150.

How do a few, or any, 1/4 mile runs affect front alignment? That should not happen. It takes about 2 serious track days hitting a lot of inside-turn curbing and maybe an unintended off road excursion to affect mine, and even then I can't really see it in the steering wheel--this abuse is way beyond a few straight line 1/4 runs.
Was going to go the dealer to get aligned next week so thanks for the warning. Any recommendations on the shops to go to in LA?
Old 05-18-2021, 10:36 PM   #10
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KramerTheAssMan View Post
Was going to go the dealer to get aligned next week so thanks for the warning. Any recommendations on the shops to go to in LA?
The most widely praised so cal alignment shop is West End Alignment in Gardena, they're great and the go to place for many track rats in LA. They're right off the 405.

I now go to JMP Autowerkz in Canoga Park because they're close to me in the Valley and also do my oil, brake bleed, tire changes or anything else I need for track prep.

For alignment they're both great, depends where you live.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 02:00 AM   #11
KramerTheAssMan

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
The most widely praised so cal alignment shop is West End Alignment in Gardena, they're great and the go to place for many track rats in LA. They're right off the 405.

I now go to JMP Autowerkz in Canoga Park because they're close to me in the Valley and also do my oil, brake bleed, tire changes or anything else I need for track prep.

For alignment they're both great, depends where you live.
You’re the best man. Thanks for the info

Tags
1le, alignment, spl