Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-28-2021, 10:21 AM   #15
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
I would lean more towards making sure you don't have a poor seal allowing unmetered air in somewhere. That will cause many issues. With a correct install and it being the only mod, it will not affect throttle response and wouldn't need to be tuned.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 04:31 PM   #16
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modernmusclecar View Post
You are right the ecu adapts right away to the increased air flow. The fuse pull only resets the octane table so i dont think that will do anything.
Yes that is true, but I was thinking that maybe disconnecting the battery for overnight and hooking it back up would reset the ECU program from whatever it wasn't doing correctly. Just a thought..
Old 05-28-2021, 04:58 PM   #17
romcjr

Drives: Two 1984 Z28 / 2014 2SS/RS AGM L99
Quote:
The cai has nothing to do with the spooling you are talking about. And the computer adjust right away to tjr increase in air flow. If you cant figure it out maybe switch back to stock and see what happens.
Maybe spooling is not the correct term . There is a definite time lapse between my foot pushing to WOT and reaction by the engine . Is it possible the MAF sensor causes the lag ? I am not very familiar with this style of sensor , how do I clean it . I have some sensor cleaner that I bought for my '03 Ford Ranger .

As I mentioned in an earlier post , I am going to do the fuse pull and see if that helps . I have all the components to go back to stock , if the pull doesn't help , I can go back to satisfy my curiosity . The car runs great and I like the CAI . I'm just trying to figure it out .
I do appreciate all the help as this is the first relatively modern GM vehicle I have had so I am on a learning curve .
POWERSTOP Brakes (5/31/21)
romcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:14 PM   #18
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Yes that is true, but I was thinking that maybe disconnecting the battery for overnight and hooking it back up would reset the ECU program from whatever it wasn't doing correctly. Just a thought..
It might for sure....worth a shot.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:17 PM   #19
Modernmusclecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by romcjr View Post
Maybe spooling is not the correct term . There is a definite time lapse between my foot pushing to WOT and reaction by the engine . Is it possible the MAF sensor causes the lag ? I am not very familiar with this style of sensor , how do I clean it . I have some sensor cleaner that I bought for my '03 Ford Ranger .

As I mentioned in an earlier post , I am going to do the fuse pull and see if that helps . I have all the components to go back to stock , if the pull doesn't help , I can go back to satisfy my curiosity . The car runs great and I like the CAI . I'm just trying to figure it out .
I do appreciate all the help as this is the first relatively modern GM vehicle I have had so I am on a learning curve .
It doesnt take long to switch it. If the advice you get doesn't work then maybe give it a try. That way you know. Maybe check the MAF just to make sure you didn't damage it first tho.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:23 PM   #20
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
^^^ yes this too, those MAF wires are pretty sensitive and can be broken easily if mishandled in any way..
Old 05-29-2021, 03:48 AM   #21
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Those stating that the ecu can adapt are correct. But, the maf must be able to read the air flow through the tube correctly. When the intake is changed,, the airflow across the maf can change. Thus the amount of air will be reported will not be correct. Put the transmission in neutral, jab the throttle and see if there is a hesitation. Yours may or may not do it. Different mods, idle rpm and manual or auto trans will affect it.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 04:01 AM   #22
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Quote:
You are right the ecu adapts right away to the increased air flow. The fuse pull only resets the octane table so i dont think that will do anything.
Does more than just reset the octane to the high table. Resets the fuel trims, basically any volitile memory gets reset.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Old 05-29-2021, 08:25 AM   #23
Modernmusclecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbubba View Post
Does more than just reset the octane to the high table. Resets the fuel trims, basically any volitile memory gets reset.
Ya I know what does ...ive done it a few times but I dont think thats the issue here.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:10 PM   #24
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Quote:
Ya I know what does ...ive done it a few times but I dont think thats the issue here.
Just wanted it to be clear to others that it does more than "only resets octane table" as you stated. Not sure if the OP is experiencing the same issue as me. Mine is just a brief instance, as if the maf is not responding quick enough. If it is, then obviously it's something else. But it only started after adding the CAI. Same issue with no tune, then a tune when headers were added.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:05 PM   #25
Modernmusclecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbubba View Post
Just wanted it to be clear to others that it does more than "only resets octane table" as you stated. Not sure if the OP is experiencing the same issue as me. Mine is just a brief instance, as if the maf is not responding quick enough. If it is, then obviously it's something else. But it only started after adding the CAI. Same issue with no tune, then a tune when headers were added.
I get what youre saying...but the #1 reason most people pull the fuse is to rest the octane tables. Not very often Ive seen it suggested for other reasons.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:10 AM   #26
romcjr

So I did the fuse pull and drove my car all week to work (60 mile round trip) and the lag seems to be a little better but not gone . Would a new (different) MAF sensor make any difference ? I saw some aftermarket ones on GEN5DIY website that claim more hp , better response , etc. ?
Old 06-04-2021, 07:42 AM   #27
Modernmusclecar

I would try reinstalling the factory air box and see if its still happening before chasing a problem that may or may not exist.At least that way you know its not cai related.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:22 PM   #28
romcjr

Quote:
I would try reinstalling the factory air box and see if its still happening before chasing a problem that may or may not exist.At least that way you know its not cai related.
Gotcha , thanks !!!