Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 04-11-2021, 03:16 PM   #1
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Brake piston compressor tool?

For those of you who change their own brake pads on an SS 1LE or ZL1, I need to hear your experience and advice on what to use to compress the pistons to make room for replacement pads, particularly on the front rotors.

It seems that most of the common compressor tools are designed for smaller calipers with 4 pistons at most. My friend uses a screwdriver against the (old) pad backing plate to force the piston back inside, but that's on a 4 piston set up and I worry about damage that may do the the pads an surrounding area.

So what do you guys use to deal with the front caliper, 6 piston Brembos? Also, any experience with using the Girodisc brake caliper compression tool? The Porsche guys seem to like it, but it's definitely not cheap.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:06 PM   #2
JD_

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE in Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
For those of you who change their own brake pads on an SS 1LE or ZL1, I need to hear your experience and advice on what to use to compress the pistons to make room for replacement pads, particularly on the front rotors.

It seems that most of the common compressor tools are designed for smaller calipers with 4 pistons at most. My friend uses a screwdriver against the (old) pad backing plate to force the piston back inside, but that's on a 4 piston set up and I worry about damage that may do the the pads an surrounding area.

So what do you guys use to deal with the front caliper, 6 piston Brembos? Also, any experience with using the Girodisc brake caliper compression tool? The Porsche guys seem to like it, but it's definitely not cheap.
You actually do not need any tool at all. Loosen the cap on the brake fluid reservoir first, then while you have the old pads on, you should be able to use your hands to compress the calipers out of the way. After that, you can simply pull out the old pads and put in the new ones. Then be sure to re-tighten the cap on the reservoir.

If you use this method, be sure to pump the brakes until the pedal firms up, you don't want to be going down the road and discover the pedal hits the floor!
JD_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:43 AM   #3
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
On this style of caliper I typically just take the old pad, rotate it 90deg, and use it as a lever to push the pistons back into the caliper.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:23 PM   #4
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
I’ve always used a large C-clamp and the old pad to slowly squeeze the pistons back. I’m careful to keep everything lined up and square so the clamp doesn’t damage anything. I haven’t tried this on the 6-piston brakes but it seems like it should work. A thick cloth or slim wood block help keep the clamp from scratching the back of the caliper.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:52 PM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
I’ve always used a large C-clamp and the old pad to slowly squeeze the pistons back. I’m careful to keep everything lined up and square so the clamp doesn’t damage anything. I haven’t tried this on the 6-piston brakes but it seems like it should work. A thick cloth or slim wood block help keep the clamp from scratching the back of the caliper.

yup same here c clamp with a towel if i need it works fine
Old 04-12-2021, 01:13 PM   #6
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
This is basically my process as well. Open the master cylinder cover and place something solid across the piston. Remove the 'fixed' pad first and then clamp the pad that floats with the piston behind it. Use a rag or something between the clamp and the caliper so it doesn't scratch anything. Go slow and it will push the piston back in all of the way without issue.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:35 PM   #7
43Camaro

Drives: [COTW 8/3/15] 2010 Camaro SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
This is basically my process as well. Open the master cylinder cover and place something solid across the piston. Remove the 'fixed' pad first and then clamp the pad that floats with the piston behind it. Use a rag or something between the clamp and the caliper so it doesn't scratch anything. Go slow and it will push the piston back in all of the way without issue.
Same...

43Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:55 PM   #8
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
I have freakishly strong fingers. Loosen the cap, then you can push the pistons in enough for new pads.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 03:45 PM   #9
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
On this style of caliper I typically just take the old pad, rotate it 90deg, and use it as a lever to push the pistons back into the caliper.
This - plus your fingers work just fine.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:17 PM   #10
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
I use the screwdriver method, putting the screwdriver between the worn out pad surface and the rotor.
I'll test my fingers on the next pad replacement.