Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-08-2020, 03:38 PM   #211
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Ok let me rephrase:

Being in horrible Manhattan/LA at 5:00-type traffic everyday, ALL day, 365 days a year with a stick is STILL better than any amount of time driving an automatic.

Hope that’s a little clearer for you.
For you...
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:26 PM   #212
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
For you...
Actually, if you are very familiar with your car you can drive a stick in stop and go without shifting as much as some people think. I will give 3+ car lengths if I can, then feather the accelerator in 1st or 2nd, taking either gear up to redline if traffic starts to move faster then lift off slowly and let the engine brake without lifting my left foot off the dead pedal.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:39 PM   #213
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Different strokes for different folks. One pedal driving in stop and go traffic is a lot easier than 3 pedals. The latter is doable, but once you try the former you get it.

I don't know, I've been driving three pedal cars since '06, with a couple of automatics sprinkled in, an '06 Caddy as a second car, and a '17 Charger R/T for about 8 months.

I've gotten to point where I shift without even thinking about it. I've done it so much, it's become 'automatic'. lol
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #214
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
You understand this is what 'sport car' snobs say about the Camaro...
Of course. I started driving back when sports roadsters normally weighed less than a ton.

You might try to imagine what your 1LE would feel like, handling-wise, if it weighed another 1400 lbs. That'd be approaching a 40% weight gain.

Quote:
As someone already pointed out, ICEs are NOT going away in our lifetime. As long as there is a demand, manufacturers will produce them. So enjoy your fun loud Camaro, and don't be afraid to buy the Bolt for your daily commuter.
I get that ICEs are not going to go extinct overnight. The problem is that the rise of EVs is already squeezing ICE choices out. Didn't I just read where Audi dropped two of their ICE models despite sales being at least decent, specifically to suit an EV future?

I've never wanted to drive a car that I could see myself having to endure rather than actively enjoy, and EVs push a whole lot of wrong buttons for me. Hardly any - if any at all - of the right ones.

Norm
Old 01-09-2020, 01:24 PM   #215
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I have not heard anyone say in a review that the Taycan is anything but awesome. Comparing a Model 3 to a Camaro let alone a true sports sedan for handling is not a fair comparison.
I'll take an SCCA National Champion's word for it with respect to handling.

And it's going to take more than early reviewers' comments about the Taycan . . . for starters how many of these 'awesome' ratings are really 'awesome for a 5100 lb vehicle'? FWIW, I suspect that many such reviews tend to be . . . shall I say . . . optimistic in tone, lest the mfr dis-invite them the next time around.

Just so you know, better than average handling is as high on my list of priorities as big power and killer acceleration stats are for so many ponycar buyers. The difference is that handling and cornering capability are things I insist on for any car we might be in the market for.

Norm
Old 01-09-2020, 01:40 PM   #216
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Different strokes for different folks. One pedal driving in stop and go traffic is a lot easier than 3 pedals. The latter is doable, but once you try the former you get it.
I don't even want to drive a 2-pedal car, and so far (since about 1972) I've been able to make that stick. Pun perhaps intentional. Losing that third pedal takes more away from the driving experience than it gives back in meaningful convenience, at least for me.

That said, when I've been assigned to a city office, I'd take public transportation for at least part of my commute. Which is a great option if you can make it work - you get to drive the kind of car you prefer for the easy part of the trip and let the public transportation operator handle the nasty part.

I'm 72, essentially retired since 2012, so the commute thing isn't even a consideration any more. But even when I had a commute, having to do my own shifting was part of the fun that went into the commute home amounting to a CTRL-ALT-DEL mental reset instead of something to be suffered through. I guess it's all what you make 3-pedal driving out to be.

My wife has driven stick since the early 1970's, and still insists on any new car being so fitted. Before she retired, that would occasionally cause a humorous moment when on my wife's day to drive to lunch a passenger noticed for the first time that the way she was driving wasn't quite the same way as they drove.

I flat-out can't grasp the appeal of dropping down from 2 pedals to only one.

Norm
Old 01-10-2020, 12:48 AM   #217
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
The appeal is the simplicity. You get to focus completely on the drive. I'm fairly powertrain agnostic. As long as there is a reliable mechanism for getting the car up to speed, I'm good. Sometimes the simpler the better. A manual transmission is far simpler than an automatic. So I actually like electric for the same reason I like manuals.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:15 AM   #218
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
In case this hasn’t been mentioned....Reuss confirms that ICE is here for the foreseeable future.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/01...eeable-future/
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 01-10-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:03 PM   #219
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
In case this hasn’t been mentioned....Reuss confirms that ICE is here for the foreseeable future.

Link didnt work, anybody else having an issue with it

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:10 PM   #220
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAZ View Post
Link didnt work, anybody else having an issue with it
Went back and re-linked it. Seems ok now. Here it is again.

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 01-10-2020, 01:30 PM   #221
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
Quote:
Went back and re-linked it. Seems ok now. Here it is again.

Thanks

Now can you show me the official link for the ZL1 with the LT5 coming out

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:47 PM   #222
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IneedAZ View Post
Thanks

Now can you show me the official link for the ZL1 with the LT5 coming out
Gotta brush up on my Photoshop skills first.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:38 PM   #223
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Gotta brush up on my Photoshop skills first.
You know people. Ask them nicely for Camaro6 ...pretty please.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:10 PM   #224
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
If you were to take every Camaro from the '67 First Gen, to the theoretical EV 7th gen, and draw a line in the sand marking the point where the "true" Camaro ended, I'm not sure which side the 5th and 6th gen would be on. Not sure the old school guys would consider "us" on their team.

As an "old school" guy myself, I absolutely LOVE my 16 SS. LOVE it! But as the 6th gen crushes all previous generations in almost every category, with technology that was only science fiction when the first camaro debuted, I'm not sure "we" can turn our nose up to advancing technology and claim that somehow "we" are true Camaros, but an EV Camaro isn't. I mean, doesn't a TRUE Camaro have Bias ply tires? doesn't a TRUE Camaro have a carb? Doesn't a TRUE Camaro have distributor? Doesn't a TRUE Camaro have a solid rear axle? ...and doesn't it have a ICE??? I bet almost every model year, and certainly every generation of Camaro had new tech that seemed foo-foo and the older model guys kinda snickered and laughed at a little. Skip shift? Really?

I frankly have no interest in a EV Camaro. I'll likely enjoy my 6th gen for many years to come and go back to the 60's with a 69 Z28, which has always been a dream of mine. But I hope that when I do, the "new" Camaro will be kicking butt and taking names. -and if it's an EV, then so be it. I'm sure the EV Camaro forums will be talking just as much smack as all of us are now.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote