Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-11-2018, 09:34 PM   #1
Dorite18

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
supercharger question

Hey all, I'm new to this but need some advice. I have a 2018 1SS that I want to put a supercharger on. I want to go with the roots type so I have the power down low also. So my question is can anyone give me any suggestions as to what brand, I am seeing at least 3 available, wipple, edelbrock, and magnusun. I most likely spelled them wrong but you get the One other thing will my Rot-Fab intake mount to it? Thanks for the help!
Dorite18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:54 PM   #2
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Don't go over 600 rwhp with any blower bc pistons are maxed out at that point on lt1. Save ur $ and buy a used lt4 blower off here or craigslist for 1800, spend another 1200 for misc parts to make it work , buy some texas speed headers and a tune and you are at 600 rwhp safely under 5k max (installed and tuned)

Last edited by mariojmoe; 10-12-2018 at 09:54 AM.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:40 PM   #3
my1stchevy

Drives: 2016 Camaro HBM 2SS NPP MRC
You can probably find a lot of useful info in the forced induction section. Keep us updated!
my1stchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:19 AM   #4
SDG23

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
Several places offer LT4 conversions for the LT1, that would be the best route in my opinion.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #5
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
Don't go over 600 rwhp with any blower bc pistons are maxed out at that point on lt1. Save ur $ and buy a used lt4 blower off here or craigslist for 1800, spend another 1200 for misc parts to make it work , buy some rexss speed headers and a tune and you are at 600 rwhp safely under 5k max (installed and tuned)

Not accurate at all, LT1 pistons dont have an issue until pushed over 700rwhp.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:26 AM   #6
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
you'll find cases on both sides of the spectrum. some people have trouble around 650, others have, and still are, well over 800 with no issues.

the general rule of thumb is, you don't really want to go much past the stock fuel system, with stock lt1 pistons/rods.

but if you're are planning on going past that, then might as well spend a little to upgrade your internals. It's just good insurance.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #7
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
I'm not arguing man but yes trust me when I say at 600 (to the ground) the lt1 is about maxed out. Does this mean every single lt1 is gunna grenade at that? No but the odds are.definitely not in it's favor based on experience. Go back and look at my 850 rwhp build I did on my 6th gen (non Zl1). It was the 1st thing I did for a reason. Btw for what it's worth I work at a well known speed shop in Houston and we do these builds on a very regular basis I'm js.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:09 AM   #8
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorite18 View Post
Hey all, I'm new to this but need some advice. I have a 2018 1SS that I want to put a supercharger on. I want to go with the roots type so I have the power down low also. So my question is can anyone give me any suggestions as to what brand, I am seeing at least 3 available, wipple, edelbrock, and magnusun. I most likely spelled them wrong but you get the One other thing will my Rot-Fab intake mount to it? Thanks for the help!
Sent you a PM!

As far as the claim that anything over 600rwhp and the pistons being maxed out is not true. We have a 2018 with a Magnuson and other parts making well over 800rwhp and have not had one issues with the pistons. It's really all in the tuning that is going to allow all the power with no issue.

Cheers,

Kayla L.
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:31 AM   #9
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Sales View Post
Sent you a PM!

As far as the claim that anything over 600rwhp and the pistons being maxed out is not true. We have a 2018 with a Magnuson and other parts making well over 800rwhp and have not had one issues with the pistons. It's really all in the tuning that is going to allow all the power with no issue.

Cheers,

Kayla L.
Not getting into a damn pissing match with anyone on here over info I personally know for a 100% fact is true especially being it's not my car but you go right ahead and keep pushing them past 600-650 rwhp (ON A REGUALAR BASIS) and see exactly where that lands you. Once more just because a few cars have not yet blown engines does not mean it is bs or can't happen lmfao. Pushing an lt1 with stock internals past 650 let alone 750 is 100% suicide. Now take this guy's money and when he blows his motor sell him an upgraded block or forged kit, that's better advice
Old 10-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #10
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
Not getting into a damn pissing match with anyone on here over info I personally know for a 100% fact is true especially being it's not my car but you go right ahead and keep pushing them past 600-650 rwhp (ON A REGUALAR BASIS) and see exactly where that lands you. Once more just because a few cars have not yet blown engines does not mean it is bs or can't happen lmfao. Pushing an lt1 with stock internals past 650 let alone 750 is 100% suicide. Now take this guy's money and when he blows his motor sell him an upgraded block or forged kit, that's better advice
Also not trying to get into a so called "pissing match" I'm just stating from a shops point of view that has built quite a few Camaro's and raced a lot of them over the years that we have not seen this to be true. We have NEVER and will NEVER force anyone into buying something they do not feel comfortable with having on their car. We are not that kind of shop as you can see from our Google reviews! Have a great day sir .

Cheers,

Kayla L.
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:33 PM   #11
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Tuning is the difference. A tune will make the final say so. These motors are good for 800 WHP all day
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:21 PM   #12
internationlriders

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
So I'm curious why in most of these threads no one seems to mention that the front seal and AFM lifters are also weak points. I want to put a blower on my car but I honestly think that to do that and be more than 90% certain that there aren't any issues one should do the following along with the blower: front seal upgrade, AFM lifter delete, and at the very least change the piston rings and the most drop in pistons. Sure there are folks getting away without these but there is a chance (albeit slim) that the piston ring lands will fail, slightly more possible the AFM lifters will collapse, and much more likely chance the front seal will blow.

I think it would be great if there was an all encompassing build sheet for anyone looking to add a blower and not have to fix things as they fail. I like to take my toys on road trips and having something break in the middle of nowhere sucks big time! If anyone has already created a complete recommended build list as such and I'm being repetitive point me there but otherwise maybe this "build sheet" could be created and pinned in the "forced induction" section?

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want."
internationlriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:10 AM   #13
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Guys, statements like "don't have an issue until pushed over 700rwhp" or "these motors are good for 800 WHP all day", are way too broad in scope. Truth is, sometimes people get away with it on the stock LT1 motor, but sometimes, it breaks.

Remember that the Procharger dude has told us that he's seen the stock top ring gaps on LT1s as tight as .009"! I am basing my top ring gap expectations on naturally-aspirated engines of course, not expecting them to be set for forced induction from the factory.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:48 AM   #14
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

I'm going to say this and leave it alone as I have nothing to prove. Are there currently lt1's out there pushing 750 rwhp without an issue? Yes there are, the real question is are these daily drivers, are they raced and pushed constantly? This is where you see failure (and trust me we see several) which is why i recommend to keep it safe and stay 625 and under. Think abt why gm forged the lt4? Hmmm. If you are going to beat on (drive it like you are supposed to) and daily drive an lt1 based on exp more likely than not bye bye pistons. Once more I've built several fast cars (ls and lt) and know the weak points, this is why on my personal 6g ss (17 non Zl1) I forged my bottom end bc I knew I was going to be 800+ and I daily and race my cars. On the other hand I know of some people that spray huge shots of nos on lt's and have no issues (yet), I know ppl that are blown on stock bottom ends pushing 700 ish but hardly drive them. I lost count on those who claimed 750 is safe for an lt and ended up with catostrophic results.