#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-28-2018, 04:42 PM   #29
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmoore23 View Post
Only good excuse I could see is financial reasons or thinking it would be good a daily driver and quickly finding out otherwise. I've hopped around on cars a lot over the last 7 years or so. I went from 03 Cobra to 08 Z06 to 13 GT500 to C7 Z51 to BMW 428i to 16 Challenger Hellcat to my current ZL1. I have a little over 6k miles on the ZL1. That's more than I put on any of those cars before I got rid of them. This car is in a league of it's own right now as far as price vs. performance. And being that I am traditionally one of those people, this is saying a lot. But really, most of the sports cars that show back up on the used market usually have relatively low miles.
I'm guessing you enjoy the ZL1 more than the Hellcat. You find the ZL1 more "fun to drive" than the Hellcat?
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:44 PM   #30
shaftwhy

Drives: ZL1 Finally
Where did you unload your car in Seattle area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkchopExpress View Post
I am someone that recently unloaded my 2018 ZL1 after 2,000 miles of driving.

At the end of the day, I just didn't love the car, and it was too impractical. It was like driving a giant angry penis around all of the time set on 11. Which is usually cool, except for the times I couldn't see out of the gun slots, which is always.

I daily drove mine, and it just got ridiculous. Trying to find parking spots in Seattle that I could squeeze in and out of with the long doors, having to open the door to operate ticket machines (and I have ape arms), having to brush up on my geometry to avoid scraping the 12 foot front end on a 2" gradient change, folding my children into origami shapes in a vain attempt to stuff them in the things they call rear seats (I have a family car, just thought it would be cool to go on a trip in the camaro... nope).

But I think the biggest thing that got me, however, was the fact that it cost me $295 for a "pre-track" inspection and oil change in order to keep my warranty on the car. Sure, I get it, it's pretty awesome to have a car that I can daily drive, then take to the track, and still retain a bad ass warranty. But track days suddenly became very expensive, not to mention the time stuck at the dealership waiting for the work to be complete. I had done a pretty complete TCO (total cost of ownership), but didn't factor that into my budget. While I could afford it, I didn't think it was worth it.

At the end of the day, a bunch of first world problems in an otherwise bad ass track machine. But on the road, it was just a bit boring and too much effort. But again, I didn't really have a lot of love for it. I am sure you guys know how it is... When you know it's the one, you can put up with a lot of bullshit. For me, it just wasn't the one, and it took me 2,000 miles to realize it.
shaftwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:43 AM   #31
NM-ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
I actually think people find the car to much to handle. I also think people overextend themselves and have to give them up.
I think I would agree with that too, while looking at the ZL1's I had found another prospect in Santa Fe at a Cadillac dealer. This car had only 900 miles on it. When I asked the sales manager about the history he told me the he (an elderly gentlemen) traded it in because the owner was scared to death of it. I would have bought it if it would have had the A10. I asked him what he traded for and was told an ATS Performance sedan. (yeah, sounds like he lost about 300hp, lol)

Which brings me to my next question, I would like my wife to be able to drive this car in case hers is in the shop. Has anyone played with the teen mode or have any suggestion on how to limit this beast from eating its driver?
Old 09-30-2018, 11:54 AM   #32
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I think that MT Hellcat Widebody vs. ZL1 comparo nails it. Besides the room and visibility issues the Hellcat might just be more what people are looking for in a muscle pony. I know very well you can get used to those Camaro things, but a rep is a rep.

The MT testers both agreed the ZL1 was the better overall performance car and had to both grudgingly give the ZL1 the win. But they had more fun in the Hellcat. The Dodge was an off the hook muscle car that had good brakes and handling and the ZL1 was a world class super car. But clearly to them the Dodge driving them back to back was more raw fun. It made me want one. But I will not give up the ZL1. It is more for me. I need to build another garage. It's on the bucket list.....

Wierdly, this is alot like the Hemi Challenger/Cuda versus the SS 454 Chevelle choice in 1970.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:37 PM   #33
PorkchopExpress

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftwhy View Post
Where did you unload your car in Seattle area?
Northwest BMW in Fife. It's Garnet Red, A10, no sunroof, tinted, ceramic coated, and half wrapped XPEL. Someone should get a pretty good deal.
PorkchopExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:04 PM   #34
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by YARBIE 1 View Post
I would have unloaded that pos C7 also, theyre hideous.
These Camaros are kickass, fast as hell, tons of room for bigger guys, interior on the 2SS rocks, the recaro seats are awesome. Pretty much the best looking and quickest muscle cars on the road.
Your opinion is subjective sir. I'm fortunate enough to have a new Zl1 and C7Z06 and let me tell you I get WAYYYY more looks and attention in my Z06 than my Zl1. Oh yeah I'm young too so no mid life crisis going on here. Both cars have pluses and minuses but hands down the Z06 draws way more attention and thumbs up than a common camaro (although it's a Zl1).
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:18 PM   #35
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
Your opinion is subjective sir. I'm fortunate enough to have a new Zl1 and C7Z06 and let me tell you I get WAYYYY more looks and attention in my Z06 than my Zl1. Oh yeah I'm young too so no mid life crisis going on here. Both cars have pluses and minuses but hands down the Z06 draws way more attention and thumbs up than a common camaro (although it's a Zl1).
You own some really nice cars. btw, get the Trackhawk

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:45 PM   #36
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
You own some really nice cars. btw, get the Trackhawk
Thanks man I appreciate it and definitely leaning towards it! I need to sell the V and probably trade my f150 for a used one. I'm upside down on my f150 but my v is paid for so that will help me out a ton. Gray and white are calling my name color wise.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:58 PM   #37
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
A good buddy of mine who owns dealerships other than Jeep is currently working a deal to nail one down...made him promise an awd track hawk test drive if it goes through!! His reply was most definitely. We'll see
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:02 PM   #38
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Haha! If everyone keeps moving up here, I might just move away... That sucks about the GT350. I had a 2012 GT500 and loved it.

LOL I love that movie. BEEF SUPREME!
The GT350 and GT500 are two totally different cars.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:19 PM   #39
PorkchopExpress

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
The GT350 and GT500 are two totally different cars.
Yes, they are Captain Obvious.
PorkchopExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:45 AM   #40
nate.the.great

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:

At the end of the day, I just didn't love the car, and it was too impractical. It was like driving a giant angry penis around all of the time set on 11. Which is usually cool, except for the times I couldn't see out of the gun slots, which is always.

I daily drove mine, and it just got ridiculous. Trying to find parking spots in Seattle that I could squeeze in and out of with the long doors, having to open the door to operate ticket machines (and I have ape arms), having to brush up on my geometry to avoid scraping the 12 foot front end on a 2" gradient change, folding my children into origami shapes in a vain attempt to stuff them in the things they call rear seats (I have a family car, just thought it would be cool to go on a trip in the camaro... nope).

But I think the biggest thing that got me, however, was the fact that it cost me $295 for a "pre-track" inspection and oil change in order to keep my warranty on the car. Sure, I get it, it's pretty awesome to have a car that I can daily drive, then take to the track, and still retain a bad ass warranty. But track days suddenly became very expensive, not to mention the time stuck at the dealership waiting for the work to be complete. I had done a pretty complete TCO (total cost of ownership), but didn't factor that into my budget. While I could afford it, I didn't think it was worth it.

At the end of the day, a bunch of first world problems in an otherwise bad ass track machine. But on the road, it was just a bit boring and too much effort. But again, I didn't really have a lot of love for it. I am sure you guys know how it is... When you know it's the one, you can put up with a lot of bullshit. For me, it just wasn't the one, and it took me 2,000 miles to realize it.
+1, I also daily drove mine into Seattle. I gave up and bought a third car AND started taking the Amazon shuttle into work.

even the 1SS 1LE is too much for the street. i can't even have a conversation with my wife on the highway because the Supercar 3s are so goddam loud. there are days where I consider trading it in so we can get back down to two cars, but then a sunny day shows up, and I figure owning it is the cheapest therapy that exists.

you forgot to mention how the a-pillars can block you from seeing entire cars if they are in the right spot...

What did you trade it in for?
nate.the.great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:21 AM   #41
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate.the.great View Post
+1, I also daily drove mine into Seattle. I gave up and bought a third car AND started taking the Amazon shuttle into work.

even the 1SS 1LE is too much for the street. i can't even have a conversation with my wife on the highway because the Supercar 3s are so goddam loud. there are days where I consider trading it in so we can get back down to two cars, but then a sunny day shows up, and I figure owning it is the cheapest therapy that exists.

you forgot to mention how the a-pillars can block you from seeing entire cars if they are in the right spot...

What did you trade it in for?

My sincere apologies, I thought that logged into Camaro6. Perhaps I have inadvertently stumbled onto some kind of whiney a** save the whales forum.

Moral to the story; Don't purchase a world class sportscar to take the kids to soccer practice, park in the city or to have intimate conversations with your significant other.

I can't believe that those in your social circles would tolerate the massive carbon footprint generated by an LT4/LT1.

Perhaps a minivan, Prius or a Mustang???, would better suit your gentlemen's needs.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:26 AM   #42
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Good news if you are in the market
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote