Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #155
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
I love my Oshawa built SS...glad to see they are not shuttering the plant. They do great work up there.
+1

Ironic I posted this (below) up tonight on FACEBOOK "CAMARO OWNERS" Group.

What makes your Camaro great? Since it is the holiday season I want to say a couple of quick things about my car and why I think it rocks!

Orange Krate has a blog on another popular website (Camaro5). The history behind the car is totally covered on the blog and pretty much everything about Orange Krate is documented in photos and some of my life history behind the purchase.

But that is not what makes Orange Krate special. What does? It is the LOVE behind each and every Camaro that comes down that assembly line in Oshawa, Canada. The people at the assembly plant have an outstanding product and attitudes to go with it.

One of the line supervisors (Mike Judge) started a tradition with the Gen 5 by creating a limited number of lithographs, numbering them and giving them to a lucky recipient who may be totally shocked (as I was) by receiving one. The lithograph and other two documents are original wet ink signatures by many of those folks who built Orange Krate. You just don't see that occur in the mass auto market these days. The documents show the date and VIN of the car too as well as Orange Krate's
name.

I was shocked, ecstatic, surprised and overwhelmed all rolled into one, to receive Lithograph #182 after I took ownership of my car and I value these documents above all other things Camaro! Why? Because it is the people who make this car that make it great and the people in this group that keep the LEGEND alive!

Go Camaro, Oshawa team and Camaro Owners!

MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR one and all.

Jim
Attached Images

Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #156
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..

Drives: 2010 Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Krate View Post
+1

One of the line supervisors (Mike Judge) started a tradition with the Gen 5 by creating a limited number of lithographs, numbering them and giving them to a lucky recipient who may be totally shocked (as I was) by receiving one. The lithograph and other two documents are original wet ink signatures by many of those folks who built Orange Krate. You just don't see that occur in the mass auto market these days. The documents show the date and VIN of the car too as well as Orange Krate's
name.

I was shocked, ecstatic, surprised and overwhelmed all rolled into one, to receive Lithograph #182 after I took ownership of my car and I value these documents above all other things Camaro! Why? Because it is the people who make this car that make it great and the people in this group that keep the LEGEND alive!

Jim
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
That is so cool! I'm living up to my screen name right now.
Looking at your handle: Are you a fan of old Schwinn bicycles as well?

With envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #157
Baltimorejohn1

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Glad to hear it.....
Sounds like spread the love Canada had it now its back in the states....
Besides one couldn't keep having Ford yapping it up about Mustangs being built in Detroit......
You could see this coming........

Canada has plenty of work and the US now has both Flagships built in the USA..... win win
Old 12-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #158
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
In an effort to shed a little more light on this news, Camaro team put me in contact with Bill Grotz, who is the Communications Manager for Manufacturing and Labor, to answer a few short questions on the matter.

Quote:
Q: What factors led to this decision being made to move Camaro production?

A: Choosing to move 6th generation Camaro production to the Lansing facility was based on a comprehensive business case. That boils down to lower capital investment (like facilities, tooling, equipment), and improved production efficiency. Obviously, the Camaro is the only RWD car at Oshawa. By moving production to Lasing Grand River, it allows us to consolidate three RWD programs in one factory: the Cadillac ATS, CTS, and Chevy Camaro.

[I also brought up “right-to-work” because some people on the forum have brought it up. Bill was very clear that this policy change had absolutely nothing to do with this decision, and offered no further comment on the matter.]

Q: Why the sudden announcement? Did anything prompt it?

A: Timing was right for our business to make this announcement.

Q: What can you tell those of us who’d like to become more familiar with the Lansing Grand River factory?

A: You can visit our facility directory on the GM website. Lansing Grand River has its own webpage that has lots of information you might be interested in!

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/c...embly/lgr.html

[Among other things you can read on that page, Lansing is one of GM’s newest plants in North America, and has won the J.D. Power and Associates Bronze Plant Award for initial quality]
A big thanks to Bill for taking the time to speak with me!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #159
Mick

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6 VR Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
I am very proud of my Oshawa built Camaro, but I like the idea of the Camaro being built stateside.
+1
Old 12-24-2012, 04:40 AM   #160
rpepka

Drives: 2013 ZL1 # 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Why? They're producing four other cars in addition to Camaro.
Labor is off the chart expensive.
rpepka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #161
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpepka View Post
Labor is off the chart expensive.
And there isn't production capacity anywhere else to make up for Oshawa if it did shut down.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #162
super60
Built with Pride "Oshawa"

Drives: 2011 Chev Silverado Z71 Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Krate View Post
+1

Ironic I posted this (below) up tonight on FACEBOOK "CAMARO OWNERS" Group.

What makes your Camaro great? Since it is the holiday season I want to say a couple of quick things about my car and why I think it rocks!

Orange Krate has a blog on another popular website (Camaro5). The history behind the car is totally covered on the blog and pretty much everything about Orange Krate is documented in photos and some of my life history behind the purchase.

But that is not what makes Orange Krate special. What does? It is the LOVE behind each and every Camaro that comes down that assembly line in Oshawa, Canada. The people at the assembly plant have an outstanding product and attitudes to go with it.

name.

Jim
Jim

Thank You and all the best to you and your family for 2013

Mike
Super60

In Memory of Dawson Ellert .
super60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #163
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Annex Canada. Problem solved. They're our cousins already anyway.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #164
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Why are you surprised by the announcement?
, I would think the sales might suffer after they annouced the 6th gen is coming out, People will wait unless they really add something special in the 5th gen car. Which looks like they are doing, So i am hoping all will remain good with sales
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #165
Kahdir

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Cool!
Kahdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #166
ronss

Drives: 2SS CGM/GRND FX/STRIPES/CAI, manual
I remember
Attached Images

ronss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #167
10BlkSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I was annoyed when I discovered it was made in Canada, and I even live right on the Canadian boarder. Its just because its a Camaro, supposed to be as American as apple pie. Now I can lie and say its made in the US.

Maxima SE (Traded)
Camaro SS
Hummer H3
10BlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #168
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..

Drives: 2010 Synergy
Not sure if I really wanted to resurrect this thread, but I figured that this article in the Windsor Star was pertinent to the discussion. Perhaps it may settle some of the speculation (or, I hope not,incite more) that went on here earlier:

Costs hinder replacing Camaro in Oshawa

Name:  7819973.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  29.4 KB
Kevin Williams, president and managing director of General Motors Canada.
Photograph by: Tyler Brownbridge, The Windsor Star

Ellen Van Wageningen, The Windsor Star
| Jan 15, 2013 | Last Updated: Jan 15, 2013 - 8:04 UTC

General Motors' decision to pull production of the next generation Chevrolet Camaro out of Oshawa does not signal the inevitable decline of the plant, but high costs in Canada make it harder to move another vehicle there, says the company's most senior executive in Canada.

It is possible production to replace the Camaro could be moved there, but "it requires a lot of things to happen," GM Canada president and managing director Kevin Williams said during a media session at the North American International Auto Show on Monday.

He pointed out that Oshawa is making some of the company's most important vehicles, such as the next generation Chevrolet Impala and Cadillac XTS. He also hinted that GM's future plans for Oshawa will hinge on finding ways to cut costs.

The decision to move Camaro to a plant in Lansing, Mich., consolidates production of rear-wheel drive cars and the business case was so compelling GM didn't have to think twice or consult with the union and governments, Williams said.

"In terms of the competitiveness of Canada, there's no mistake that Canada continues to be the highest cost producer for GM anywhere else in the world. Our labour costs are among the highest. We've got to continue to work with our union partners to make sure that we continue to make it the best place we can possibly do vehicles," he said.

Canadian Auto Workers president Ken Lewenza none of that has been conveyed to him since GM announced the decision on Dec. 19.

"It's blatantly, blatantly disrespectful that they made a decision on cost when in contract bargaining (in September) they suggested they maintained a competitive process" in Oshawa, he said.

"It borders on bad faith bargaining," said Lewenza, who is scheduled to meet with GM's vice-president of global manufacturing Tim Lee on Jan. 21 in Detroit to discuss the decision.

The CAW will not open up its new contract to get the Camaro production replaced by another vehicle, he said. The union expects it will cost about 1,000 jobs in Oshawa if nothing replaces the Camaro when the current model production ends in 2015 or 2016.

GM, which is entering its fourth year post-bankruptcy, is restructuring to be as lean and efficient as possible, said Williams.

The company has exceeded all the commitments it made in exchange for receiving $10.6 billion from the federal and Ontario governments during its U.S. bankruptcy, he said.

GM made the right decision to move Camaro to make productions more efficient, said Toronto-based auto analyst Dennis DesRosiers.

But the company bungled the announcement last month by failing to bring the CAW and government in well ahead of time to get them onside, he said.

"The reality is the North American market has such a significant upside growth over the next three to five years that General Motors needs every bit of capacity they could possibly find in their North American system," DesRosiers said.

"The Camaro production will be matched car-for-car within a quarter or two quarters. If they don't, General Motors walks from market share," he said.

The market is going up 500,000 to a million units a year in North America and automakers that want to grab some of those sales need to pump up production, DesRosiers said.

"I don't think they're abandoning Canada, but they certainly aren't committing any more than they have to Canada. It's mostly just an issue of economics," said Tony Faria, co-director the Office of Automotive and Vehicle Research at the University of Windsor's Odette School of Business.

GM put $185 million into its flexible manufacturing in Oshawa, where it is expected to add a third shift early this year to assemble the Cadillac XTS and next generation Chevrolet Impala. That is creating 900 jobs, but in mid2014 GM is shutting down its consolidated plant in Oshawa which currently employs 750 workers.

Second-tier workers hired in Lansing, Mich., to build the next generation of the Cama-ro will start at US$15.78 per hour and top out at US$19.28 in four years, compared to the $34.33 autoworkers on the line make in Oshawa, Faria noted. The situation is the same in Spring Hill, Tenn., where overflow of the Chevrolet Equinox is being built compared to the Oshawa and CAMI plants in Canada.

evanwageningen@windsorstar. com

There it is. The floor is now open to intelligent and respectful discussion...

With envy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation