Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 10-11-2018, 10:40 PM   #1
nightfallcamaro

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Grey Camaro 1SS
Coolant Advice Needed

So my factory coolant has been looking a little low. I went to Walmart and picked up the Prestone 50/50 dexcool. When I got home I noticed it was orange and the factory coolant is pink.

Can I mix these two coolants? Do I need to flush the factory coolant?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

https://www.instagram.com/nightfallcamaro/

nightfallcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:55 PM   #2
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
yes you can mix them there the same just different diy
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:24 AM   #3
trohde78

Drives: '17 Red Hot 2SS 6MT
Did the reservoir used to be completely full (mine is). I'd be more concerned about where that much coolant went.
trohde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:27 AM   #4
JCunningham

ya i didnt even think about that. where is it going your still under warranty so id take it right over to the dealer befor you fill ed it up. but if you already had take it to the dealer with this picture so they can test the system. you may have a leak.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 10-12-2018, 04:11 PM   #5
nightfallcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by trohde78 View Post
Did the reservoir used to be completely full (mine is). I'd be more concerned about where that much coolant went.
Nope my reservoir was basically empty too. And if I remember correctly the factory coolant is rated for 15k miles. I'm at 30k miles at the moment.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:13 PM   #6
nightfallcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
ya i didnt even think about that. where is it going your still under warranty so id take it right over to the dealer befor you fill ed it up. but if you already had take it to the dealer with this picture so they can test the system. you may have a leak.
I don't think there is a leak, my garage floor is always dry and no stains of any kind. The car basically sits in the garage for 4-5 days a week.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #7
trohde78

Drives: '17 Red Hot 2SS 6MT
I think Dex-Cool is rated for 150K miles or 5 years. However, that is just based on it doing it's job like preventing scale/rust, not that it should then begin to disappear. :-)

Oh, and I meant the top reservoir that you have pictured. Mine is full to the top from the factory.
trohde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #8
JCunningham

could be a head gasket leaking into a cylinder
Old 10-12-2018, 04:49 PM   #9
JCunningham

factory coolant is rated for 5 years or 150,000 miles
Old 10-12-2018, 05:14 PM   #10
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
could be a head gasket leaking into a cylinder
I wouldn't go that far just yet.

OP - Overflow tanks need refilled from time to time. Mine was low. I used the same coolant as you as my tank was low as well. I topped off the tanks (note that there are two - a reservoir tank and an overflow tank) about four months ago. All has been good since then.

I'd just suggest you top off the tanks and then monitor.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:46 PM   #11
JCunningham

i mentioned earlier that he should take it to the dealer since its under warranty. He said its not leaking on the ground. So thats why I said it could have a head gasket leak. I think he should take it to the dealer so they can test it. dont need to find out too late. But up to the OP if it does it again definitely take it in.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:42 AM   #12
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
I use the same Prestone coolant pre-mixed fluid. It is good stuff and Dex-Cool certified.
Regarding the upper tank being low - I would also definitely recommend a dealer visit, just to find out where the fluid has disappeared to.

OP/Others: The lower tank - What is it for? Is it the expansion tank?
Up to which point should it be filled? I think I saw a mark right adjacent to the heater hoses (wrapped with Aluminum foil): I believe it should not be filled too high.
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:04 AM   #13
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I am curious as to how much that tank is supposed to have in it. Mine is low like the OPs when it's cold but after a few runs at the track the other day it was completely full so I don't want to add any and have it overflow.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #14
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
I am curious as to how much that tank is supposed to have in it. Mine is low like the OPs when it's cold but after a few runs at the track the other day it was completely full so I don't want to add any and have it overflow.
When completely cold:
Top tank is supposed to be full to the cap.
Bottom tank filled to ~ 1/3 = I was able to identify an alignment mark engraved on the plastic - right where the water pipes to the internal heater element/radiator are routed.
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, dexcool, fluid, flush, lt1